Drafting Darnold at #3 did one thing for sure....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, May 1, 2018.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

There is no full year in the system, Bates is a rookie OC, and I'm sure it's different from what we ran last year/our clown who left for Gruden.
    If he isn't attached to Bates's hip, then what is he going to do? A Hack impression? Hold the clipboard?
    Bullshit.
    If Sam can't beat out a Jag, and a guy who is 3 years into the league coming off a career threatening injury, he probably is the wrong guy. Saying otherwise is fanboyish!
    Why wait? Wait for what? Our line to be banged up? Our team personnel to be less than what it is on opening day? Us To be out of contention?
    We are rebuilding, not contending.
    The sooner this guy plays, the better. Not the other way around.
    Play his ass ASAP!
    If the staff can't help him overcome, McCown and Teddy, he is the wrong guy.
    Period.
    Why is that so hard to get?
    This isn't little league.
    It is professional football.
    Geeeez!

2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I would think there is close to no chance they franchise Teddy, especially if Sam has played or is ready to play. If a trade doesn't happen we'd be on the hook for another big QB contract. Think it's all moot though, don't think he's starting or playing enough to make any of this relevant. If he even makes the team after the summer with that knee.

3. LF911SC

It's hard to get because it makes no sense and is wrong. Every situation is different but most rookie QBs don't start right out of the gate. Doesn't mean they're not as good as the bridge QB, just means they're not ready. I would bet that not one of the 5 first round QBs could legitimately play significantly better than McCown in camp and preseason to earn the job.

You're right this isn't little league, it's professional football and QBs. Everyone of them need some kind of development.

FJF likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Lol not sure if serious but if you are, then I can’t believe you’re being serious.

FJF likes this.
  5. tbruner12

I can't believe you are being serious with the "Coddle method", how has that helped any QB?
    He may take his lumps, but it will help him, not destroy him.
    What a pussyfied approach to anything.
    Hands on is the best teacher, not watching. If he is ruined by playing sooner rather than later, we drafted Mark Sanchez part 2. If he gets better, we drafted something good moving forward.
    Why is this so hard to understand?
    What does standing around help him do? Nothing.
    Lol

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. tbruner12

Was he drafted to be the future?
    You afraid he might be ruined, or culture shocked to death?
    If he is made out of glass physically or mentally, he is the wrong guy.
    The millenialist approach to coddling QB's until they are ready is stupid as fuck. It doesn't help them at all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

Lol exactly.

Coddled. Lol.

8. tbruner12

How do you learn?
    Watching or doing?

So coach, what's your plan?
    Maybe by year 4 when he overtakes Teddy and Josh, can he play?
    Will holding that clip board help him?
    Wait he has to wait in line to do that, that's Hacks job. How has his coddle process worked for him?
    Any answers, or just more laughs?

9. Rollo Tomassi

Exactly.

But but but...coddling! But but but...Mark Sanchez!

Millenials!

I have kids that are millenials for fucks sake and been watching football since Namath.

I’m not banging my head against this wall, have fun, you’re on your own in this one :D

FJF likes this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

You sound angry.

Yes, that’s what I said, wait 4 years.

Have fun with this one dude, you are totally right.

FJF likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I used to think like you but how many times do we have to see young QBs get chewed up and spit out by the league before we realize they need to learn the game??

Darnold has a slow wind-up right now and this offensive line is bad. I don't care about 2018 win or lose. I care about Sam Darnold becoming a good quarterback for 10+ years for the Jets. Let McCown be the one to get beat up, hell he's getting $10 mill anyway in 2018 for his troubles, might as well let him take the beating.

"Standing around" is the best thing that can happen to Darnold right now. It keeps expectations low, keeps him from being shell shocked, and allows him to learn to become a professional QB so when he does step on the field he can grab the reigns like a badass. There is a lot he can learn from sitting. how to adjust to different defenses, what to watch for, how to conduct himself, etc.

You throw him out there right away and all of that is the secondary focus behind trying not to get his head ripped off. I would sit him to start the season even if he's the best QB in camp for that reason.

LogeSection2RowJ, stinkyB and Noam like this.
  12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

There are a couple recent comparisons that worked out well for both parties. Goff looked horibble the first season he was in and didnt start till game 6 or later I believe. Look at him now. If I'm not mistaken Wentz started week one and well I'm sure everyone knows what he became.
    At the time I thought it was foolish to start Wentz from day 1....but Doug Pedersen made the right call. I hope the Jets staff do as well. I think if they wait and take the Rams approach it's not a problem or indicating Darnold was the wrong pick at all.

FJF and LF911SC like this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

So are you guys suggesting that if Sam doesn’t beat out Teddy and McCown in camp we don’t need to immediately cut him?

That sounds much more rational.

FJF likes this.
  14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Ummm ....I think so....yes lol.

15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Well, it worked for Rivers and Rodgers. Not saying it’s the only way but not sure what “millinialist” has to do with it.

This goddamn baby boomer generation ruined the country and want to millennial this millennial that.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. LF911SC

You can ask all the hypothetical questions you want. Facts are that not every high drafted QB starts immediately, never has been the case. There is no rule that if you are drafted above whatever slot you have to start or are the wrong guy. Elway was forced into starting and wound up benched. Is Goff the wrong guy? You're making reasons up just because you want to see him, not because you want to do what makes sense, which is to play him when hes ready. The idea that this is some stupid millinial approach is kind of laughable given history of the league, which is rookie QBs, almost all of them, sit. Millinial word is over played.

BTW, if he isn't ready it doesn't mean he isn't as good as Teddy or Josh, just means he isn't ready.

#56 LF911SC, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    nicg4360 likes this.
  17. LF911SC

Lol, thanks. As soon as you read playing a QB when he's ready is coddling or a millinial approach you've got to laugh. Thanks for bailing, lol

18. Rollo Tomassi

This is exactly what the societal norm has become and why I am fearful for the future of this world. There is no more civility in debates.

Kids these days don’t know how to interact with folks with differing views.

They start using a word that really has no relationship to the discussion- like “coddling”.

Then they throw out a whole bunch of false analogies like “Sanchez” and “Hack” or hyperbole like “so are you going to sit him for 4 years?” when no one ever suggested that.

And then the worst, when they’ve run out of illogical reasoning they stoop to the lowest form of logical fallacies- the ad hominem “you’re a fanboi” (or the societal corollary “you’re a racist”).

Your opinion is no longer valid because you’re a “fanboi” (or a “racist” or a “millenial” or some other similar insult) and any attempt to get back to the substance of the topic leads to flat out dismissal because...you know...”fanboi”.

I weep for the children.

19. LF911SC

You brought up millinial, you brought up the idea that having him sit was coddling. Youre the one making blanket statements about 20 year olds as fact.

What are you sayiing now?

20. Rollo Tomassi

That wasn’t me. That was a Brunner.

I vehemently disagreed with him.

Read it again.