Namath doing Book signing. - Merged

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Dinobot 2, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

There's is a book signing by Joe Namath Nov 30th in NY. Only his book though. No memorabilia. Gonna be at the Barnes n' Nobles at 555 5th Ave NY. Too bad it wasn't during the week I was there.

2. baamf

baamf Active Member

3. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Will he just be signing his new book?
    I am in the middle of the Kriegel one and now there is a new one out about him.....
    What more could be in the new book that wasnt in the other one?

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

The only way I'll go to a Namath book signing is if I know he'll be 10 sheets to the wind before he walks in the door...

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/Namath-Icons-..._bbs_sr_1/002-2164483-8251213?ie=UTF8&s=books

"Boasting stunning, never before seen photographs and an NFL Network DVD, NAMATH is an autobiography befitting its author: brash, brazen and winning."

[​IMG]

I ordered mine today. Wish I could get it signed one day, but I do have my autographed Namath Jets helmet :smile:

6. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

From Newsday:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...14,0,6774527.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

7. MawaesDaMan

MawaesDaMan New Member

I went to this store near my work called Book-Ends in Ridgewood, NJ, which has a ton of signings, last night for the Joe Namath signing, and I get there about 5:20 and the place is sold out, line around the corner and down the block. The woman at the desk told me they sold out of 2,000 copies (all the publisher would give them) before 5:00pm. I was pretty bummed, I was hoping for 2 copies of this new book, plus I had a copy of "I Can't Wait Till Tomorrow" I was hoping to sneak in, but I could not even get close to him.

If anyone is planning on going to the NYC signing, I would say get there very early, Joe is still the King of NY.

8. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

just picked up joe's book and autograph

he was at the barnes and noble on fifth ave for a book signing and let me just tell u how how cool this guy is. He signed my book chatted with him about this years season and he said he feels if the jets stay consistent they could run the table and get a playoff spot. I feel like the luckiest guy in the world today as i finally met the joe namath for the first time and got his autograph tooo!!!! definately somethin to hold on to and show off to the grandkids

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

good job ganggreen! Im glad while the rest of us are working you can find the time to shmooze with broadway Joe and pick up some reading material:beer:

10. iLoveJets

iLoveJets New Member

I can still see him hitting on susan the NFL sideline reporter. "I just want to kiss you"

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Son of a bitch, I am truly jealous, GG04. VERY COOL. He's been making the rounds on the TV circuit the last couple of days. I always liked Joe... brings back a lot of great memories for me. Take good care of the book and enjoy reading it!

12. Section 227. Row 5

Hey, if I had a couple of belts in me I probably would've said the same thing! Can't blame him for tryin'. That's all part of Joe's "ambiance."

13. Drew

Drew Active Member

Very cool.

He was also at the game sunday signing his book, you would of purchased and he signed the book and apparently he signed another item. Had I known that, I would have done it.

14. MawaesDaMan

MawaesDaMan New Member

I posted this in the "Jets Experience" forum, but it fits here as well. How crowded was it there today. This event last night was a mob scene, people were waiting all day for it. Very disappointed that I got shut out.

I went to this store near my work called Book-Ends in Ridgewood, NJ, which has a ton of signings, last night for the Joe Namath signing, and I get there about 5:20 and the place is sold out, line around the corner and down the block. The woman at the desk told me they sold out of 2,000 copies (all the publisher would give them) before 5:00pm. I was pretty bummed, I was hoping for 2 copies of this new book, plus I had a copy of "I Can't Wait Till Tomorrow" I was hoping to sneak in, but I could not even get close to him.

If anyone is planning on going to the NYC signing, I would say get there very early, Joe is still the King of NY.

15. Section 227. Row 5

I'm a Jets fan going way back to the 1960's. I'm an old guy now (61), but back then I was still in college.

So I graduated college in 1967 and volunteered for US Army Officer's Candidate School (I know... but it's a long story). After I graduated OCS I went to Jump School and then on to the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg, NC. I jumped out of perfectly good C-130's with them until I got my orders for Vietnam in December of 1968.

So here I am, on leave, back in Linden, NJ, sitting in my parents TV room watching Superbowl III with my dad and I'm days away from leaving for Vietnam. My uncle, who lived in Baltimore, was a huge Colts fan, so he calls my dad up and he's giving him the business about how bad the Colts were gonna kick our asses. So they wind up making a bet and my dad tells him, "I don't want any points, we're gonna beat you outright because that's what Joe Namath said." And of course, my uncle laughs his ass off because the point spread is like 13 or something like that.

After the game, my dad calls my uncle back and needless to say, payback was a bitch. Four days later my folks are dropping me off at the old Newark Airport terminal in my dress greens and paratrooper boots and I'm on my way to Oakland and the Republic of Vietnam. This was the height of US casualties in Vietnam... right at this point. I'm gonna say about 250 KIA's a week.... roughly 1,000 per month. And here I am infantry, Airborne no less, and these are the guys they stick in the dirtiest, most hazardous of jobs.

I spent the entire year over there in the field as a combat advisor to the ARVNs (Army of the Republic of Vietnam), not exactly a job for somebody with an inferiority complex. They sent me home after that year with a Bronze Star and the CIB (Combat Infantryman's Badge) and a whole bunch of other Vietnamese awards and citations, half of which I can't even read and don't know what they're for. But the point I'm trying to make is, for that whole fall I was there I was wondering about how the Jets were doing and my dad would send me newspaper articles, etc. And every once in a while we'd sit around and talk about football scores and such... just stuff to keep our minds occupied.

When I got home, I had never gone to a Jets game and this guy I knew had tickets, so I started going to some of them out at Shea. In fact, I was at Shea in December of 1973 when OJ Simpsom ran for the 2,000-yard mark... cold as hell and snow/sleet coming down. Then, in 1985, I had a chance to pick up my own tickets, so I did.

But anyway, that's my Joe Namath story to go along with your book. If I ever get a chance to meet Joe in person, I'm gonna tell him that story and about how much I was thinking of the Jets while I was out there slogging around in the rice paddies with the Vietnamese on their daytime patrols and night ambushes. It was one of those things that keeps your mind off of everything else at the time and one of those things (among many other things) that keeps you wanting to get back home.

Sorry Junc... another one of my fluff posts!

16. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

wow touching post

17. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Section 227, that isn't a fluff story. It's a great story, if not a bit sad. Thanks for the sacrifices.

18. EricWN

EricWN New Member

Namath signing disaster

The Namath