First Trip to NY to see the Jets.

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Sandman, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

First off, im sorry if this is in the wrong forum area, if it is then please move it or I will delete it if neccesary.

Im planning to come over for the Bills game and need to ask a whole host of questions. I hope you guys dont mind helping a UK Jets fan make his first trip over and see my team play.

Ok here are the questions.

1) What is the best way for me to obtain a single ticket?

2) Looking at hotels its obviously much more expensive in the heart of the City. I want to do a little sightseeing as well whilst im over. So, is it best for me to pay top dollar and go in the centre, or if i had a hotel in Brooklyn or New jersey would it be easy enough to get to the meadowlands and also into the City centre for sight seeing?

3) Dependent on where i stay but what is the best way for me to get to the stadium? by train? or car? taxi?

4) it seems a lot of you do the parking lot BBQ before the matches. Is there a public area where i could gather with some fellow jets fans or cos i will be on my own should i just head into the stadium?

Thanks for any help you guys can give. Im clueless on a lot of this and need some help. The Game is the most important thing for me so i dont mind staying in New Jersey if that eases the travel (if the travel is hard?). Staying in the centre of NY would be nice, but it looks well pricey. I cant find anything less than about $320 a night unless its a hostel and thats just too much. Upto about $200 a night i could accept.

#1 Sandman, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

My answers below hope they help!

3. baamf

baamf Active Member

Can't help you with the hotels and such but I can offer you an extra ticket that I have and an invite to our tailgate (we even fly the Rampant Lion flag so you'll feel more at home). If you are interested PM me and I'll send you the details. If you decide on something different, you can definitely scalp tickets in the parking lot, it is never a problem getting one. Singles are usually cheaper as well as scalpers just want to get rid of them....

4. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

Don't stay in new jersey. It will be too difficult to see the city, and theres no good transportation options in/out, especially late at nite.

You prob dont want to stay in brooklyn either, only because the nice hotels there (i.e. clean, good areas close to manhattan), are probably just as expensive as manhattan but im not sure. The Brooklyn Marriot is one you might want to check out. If you want REAL cheap and some what edgy, theres a Holiday Inn in Sunset Park which is relativly close, but certainly on the seedy side. New York City is $$$$$$, on the same level as london, so unless your a very brave tourist, your wallet is prob going to take hit. I would get a hotel in manhattan.

p.s. avoid taking taxis long distances. If you stay in manhattan, you will get a flat rate from the airport (i think its 60$) to anywhere in manhattan. If you stay in brooklyn/queens you will not get a flat rate, and the meter could run beyond 60 bucks.

good luck!!!

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Baamf is right. A single ticket can be had from a scalper fairly easily. If you don't want the uncertainty of that, buy a cheap one on eBay, no matter where it is, just to get in the door. Then you can move around and "better" your seat by looking for open spaces.

You might try the Milford Plaza. Most of us from this close to the city usually don't have to get a room in the city, so we're not up on that. But I've stayed at the Milford Plaza and the rate was fairly reasonable. It's in the heart of the theatre district and plenty of things to go do and see within easy walking distance.

By bus.

When you get to the parking lot, try walking around the stadium until you get to the "Gate C" side. Go look for parking area 16H. There's a huge Jets contingent there... DJ blasting R&R... beer... food... all they want is a contribution. But the place rocks and you can definitely get into the atmosphere there.

#5 Section 227. Row 5, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

so far I htink baamfs invite is the best way to go sandman, how can you beat that? as far as hotels go, the unfortunate part is the time of your trip.NYC around christmas time is jam packed with tourists eating up all the hotel rooms and driving the already high prices even higher.

But your best bet is still to get raped and stay in manhattan. Id hate to see you in brooklyn or queens in a shithole with no knowledge of your whereabouts etc.....stay in manhattan for the convenience

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

That was very nice of you Jonny!

8. Sandman

Thanks guys so much for your responses so far. I agree with you jonnyd that baamf's offer is way too good to turn down and so i have accepted that from him already and stunned and very pleased by the responses form you guys.

So it looks like im sorted for a ticket and tailgating. I just need to sort my hotel yet. I looked at the Milford Plaza as suggested and its over $400 a night!!! :( wow!! thats way to high for me.I think im going to have to keep looking as i do want to stay in Manhattan or somwhere in the city.

I should have gone to a game in September when all the Xmas shoppers are still in spain etc. Oh well! ill know better next year! :)

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Wow you are getting screwed with hotel pricing. I just went onto hotels.com and checked the rates- the lowest rates at the airports is $175 a night and they are dumps! The lowest prices in Brooklyn are $400 a night and Manhattan is even more.

Here's something for you- I'm not sure of your age and what you may look for in a hotel, but if you look into a Hostel type arrangement I am sure that you can find something for alot less.

Priceline.com is also a good site, but you won't know where you are staying until the price is accepted.

10. Sandman

yeah that was why i started thinking about staying in New Jersey, the prices are much lower and i only really want to go around in NY during the day and early evening. I wont be out partying the night away on my own. If i dont manage to find something at around $250 I will have to try out of the city and travel in for my sightseeing.

I did think about the hostels but im not sure what kind they are. The ones where you can get single rooms are ok, but i dont want a communal bunk room or anything so i tend to give them a miss.

I was coming for three nights but maybe ill cut it down to two if I cant find a cheaper place.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Ouch! Sorry Sandman. I haven't stayed there in years and had no idea it was that high. But you get the idea. There are still other, off-priced places right in that area and everything is within walking distance. You can even walk to the Port Authority bus station from that area to go to the game. When you get into the city, park your car in a garage and walk away from it. You won't need it until you leave the city and in fact, it even gets in the way.

Baamfs offer is too good to pass up. All you need now is the hotel, unless Johnnyd lets you stay in his basement for $50. Don't worry about all the telephones he has down there. It's a little "business" he runs on the side and whatever you do, don't ask too many questions about it either.

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Given the fact that you are looking into visiting during the day and heading back at night without alot of fanfare, you can definitely look at hotels in NJ and the outer boroughs.

The good thing is that you can get to NYC from most places in NJ via a reasonably priced and fairly quick bus or train ride, definitely under an hour. If you get a place closer to the stadium, you're talking a very quick ride.

Alot of folks from this board live in NJ, and I would think that they might be able to give you some names of towns that are close enough to get you where you want to be.

As for Queens or Brooklyn, there's alot of areas that are commutable, but are absolute shitholes.

To pay upwards of $400 a night for a hotel room is truly highway robbery.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Hey Koz, you and I have almost the exact same number of posts!

14. baamf

baamf Active Member

15. Sandman

yeah! somehere in East Rutherford or something close to the stadium could work quite well. But im not sure of the vicintity to the stadium when im looking at hotels in NJ.

yeah tell me about it. Its somewhat my own fault for coming to a game in December. Even a few weeks ago and it would have been way cheaper. Maybe Janruary when we get that wild card home match when we win the division ;)

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Now (filler)

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

We have the same amount....

18. baamf

baamf Active Member

That won't last long with you two post whores... :wink:

:grin:

19. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

I stayed in Jersey last year and drove into the city. It was extrememly easy to get in and out of the city. I was surprised. I stayed at a hotel for about 100 bucks a night near the Meadowlands. I woke up in the morning and was a 2 minute drive from the Stadium.

20. Section 227. Row 5

I resemble that remark!