Hindsight Poll: Rosen and the three seconds, or Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 27, 2018.

?

If you knew you could draft Rosen at 6, and keep the three seconds, would you?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2018.
  1. I'd take Rosen and the picks.

44.4%
  2. I'd still make the trade to land Darnold.

55.6%
  1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It's pretty hard to answer that not more than 18 hours after the first round. :) It depends largely how Darnold shakes out and Rosen. But given no team can truly ever answer this in advance, we absolutely did the right thing and Darnold fell into our laps, unexpectedly.

The flip side is, what if Darnold turns out to be an elite QB and we HADN'T given up a few seconds to get him. Mind you, our franchise track record with second round picks is pretty absymal.

All in all, this was a small price to pay to secure the cornerstone of our franchise. He's a complete QB. He's only 20. He has a solid head on his shoulders. He is the face of the franchise.

Also had we not traded up we don't know what would have happened. The Broncos may have striked for 3. Maybe the Browns get blown away by an offer at 4. Maybe the Colts trade back again from 5 in this scenario and another QB goes at 5. Leaving us with our dick in our hands and god knows who at QB.

We did exactly what was needed and secured arguably the best QB in the draft.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Eliminating the fluke that is Brady, two of the great QB’s of all time fell in the draft — Joe Montana and Aaron Rodgers. There must have been a reason right? And that reason is teams simply make mistakes.

The “there must be a reason” as condemnation of the player is simply stupid.

3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

To be fair, our pick last year, Maye, looks like a very good player. Though I largely agree with you.

4. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I'd take Darnold over Rosen any day, it's not really a dilemma in my mind. And moving up at the time was justified I think, it's easy to be a general after the battle.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd keep the picks and take Rosen, but this is assuming that a team wouldn't trade up ahead of us for him.

6. Nate varney

Nate varney Member

Didn’t so much mind thetrade up but didn’t like who they got. Being from SoCal I’ve watched Rosen since high school and both closely in college, pretty much every game. In hindsight I’d rather have the picks back and Rosen. I’m not sold on darnold..Rosen is way more accurate despite not having any run game for the past 2 years..teams knew they would throw almost every play. His OL was terrible as well. I think he will do well in Arizona

JetBlue likes this.
  7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Both of Arizona's quarterbacks are made of glass. They'll be playing Napoleon Dynamite more games than those other two combined next season.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

You must be ecstatic now.

9. playtowinthegame

Hells yeah I am.

10. CotcheryFan

Rosen was my top QB coming into the draft, but I will embrace Darnold, who I wanted before last season started.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not worth it to look at pre-trade up to post-trade up scenario. We have what we have,

I thought it was 50/50 that one of Darnold and Rosen would drop to the Jets at 6. We could have wound up with just Josh Allen left also so the trade up to 3 was worth it assuming the Jets got one of Darnold and Rosen.

I should have known it was going to be Darnold though. The Jets just have this thing going where arguably the most valuable player in the draft drops to them each season for Mac.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

I liked Rosen too, but only because I never thought we would have a shot at Darnold. Once Darnold fell to No. 3 it was a no brainer for me. Darnold is gonna be great like Big Ben. I can't believe the Browns passed on him, but I'm forever thankful. The darkness is giving way to the light for our Jets. We are due for great things.

dogg and CotcheryFan like this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Listen, as big of a Rosen supporter as I was, you can't argue with the value the Jets got.

The Jets essentially underpaid for trading up to #3 because they got #1 value.

14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Who knows how things would have gone but I preferred Rosen. Don't think we've ever drafted a guy like Rosen. Smart, pocket passer, who can pick defenses apart. That's what we need.

Darnold feels like the type of QB we've gotten before. Turnover + decision making issues, very young

#54 Jedi mind tricks, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  15. CotcheryFan

I hope so man. I'm not old enough to understand how much suffering some on this board have experienced. 50 years of not even reaching a Super Bowl is tough to bare.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Picks, schmicks. I was happy with the Darnold selection. Why? Go with the obvious. Darnold over Rosen simply because Rosen's face is infinitely more punchable, which is also conversely to say that Darnold's face is infinitely less punchable. It's ALL about punchability! What's so hard about this.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As many of you know I was a big Rosen supporter, but never dreamed Darnold would be there at three. I think with McCown and Bates behind him he will be become the complete package and excel in a year or two, and will be the perfect face of this franchise for many years to come.
    I don't think the shoulda, coulda, woulda second guessing after the fact is remotely realistic. Had we not moved out the dynamics and who selects who could have been completely different. I stick to Mac's strategy and it was a damned good one. I need a potential FQB, there are three I can live with, none could potentially be there at six, so I trade up. Picking Darnold was a clear indication that they rated him higher than Rosen and Allen. If Bates saw it that way is damned good enough for me.
    I'm as happy as it can be.
    Now, forget how the other QBs will fair from here on out, or the two picks we lost, because the only thing that matters, the only thing that is critical is how to properly develop Sam, how to institute a game plan to his strengths, and how to shore up the OL and supporting Offensive cast in future drafts. The opportunity to be in the great position to grab a QB with such potential happens rarely. And if Teddy shows real promise as well, we might get our 2nd pick back next year.
    There is nothing but happiness with the results IMO.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Would’ve taken Rosen at 6 over trading up for Baker but the Browns and Giants turned it into a great decision by giving us QB1.

We did it blindly and got lucky but who cares?

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Darnold

Rosen although the most polished QB has a long list of injuries and with our luck he’d be hurt

Big Cat likes this.
  20. "My Favorite" is Martin

Can't play this game because the draft might shake out completely differently if the Jets don't trade up. The Browns probably took Mayfield #1 because they were afraid of the Jets at 3. Otherwise they might take Barkley at 1 and Mayfield at 4. Then the Giants may take Darnold or trade down for someone who wants him since Barkley is off the board. Now Arizona may jump to 3 to grab Rosen. Then we are out of QBs. The Jets were proactive and I think they got their #1 guy. Giving up 3 second rounders to get your #1 QB at pick 6 is worth it every time

CotcheryFan likes this.