The plan for Sam Darnold moving forward...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Apr 26, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What if Teddy can't play? Going into the season with McCown and Darnold only?

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am really glad we have McCown on this team now to mentor Darnold. Darnold is only 20 years old and definitely can benefit from having a season from McCown.

Now that we drafted Darnold, I am much happier with the Darnold/McCown/Bridgewater combo at QB than paying fully guaranteed money for Cousins.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me to see Petty cut day 1 and Hack's status dependent on whether Bridgewater is healthy.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

If he looks ready in camp start him. If he doesn't sit him. That's all there is to it.

There is no evidence that sitting a QB does anything to help them in today's NFL. It's a pure matter of the player. And it doesn't mean being better than McCown in camp. It means looking ready. Two different things.

I suspect we see Sam this year, but I don't think it will be week 1.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Definitely. McCown will be a great mentor to Darnold. This simply cannot be overlooked. It's a very promising situation.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep... No reason why they couldn't. Perhaps keep Hack on the PS but I don't really see any sense in that. Petty should be a goner. If by game 12 somehow McCown gets broken, Why not put Darnold in and let him get some real game experience instead of taking the Hack/Petty route and never playing the kid. By then, Darnold should be able to run the simplest of plays and if he can't last 4 games at the end of a season, then we fucked up the pick anyway.

7. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

You guys are nuts. Sit him for what? If he looks the best in camp, he starts immediately. This isn't 1990s NFL.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets will still need 3 QBs at some point.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

True. McCown/Bridgewater/Darnold going into the season.. If somehow McCown/Bridgewater makes it thru 13 games, then let Darnold finish the season to get his feet wet. We're not going to the playoffs anyway so the Kid might as well get his uniform dirty.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I really don't know how this is going to play out but it will be a fun summer.

@Brook! - Come to training camp with me at Atlantic Health this year.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Goff. Wentz. Watson. Three guys who everyone thought needed a year to sit. All three turned out to be pretty damn ok.

I'm all for letting him play if the staff deems him ready enough. If he's a mess and needs a year to practice, then I don't want to just toss him out there because the fanbase is impatient and whines.

FJF likes this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yup, but this is basically what Bowles' said last night in the presser. We just don't know right now. Rookie camp is next week and Darnold is probably getting the playbook today as he will be at Atlantic health.

I'm hoping with his introductory presser, they officially announce his number so we can buy the jerseys.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The plan should be to play him when he's ready. If that means sitting for half a season or a whole season, so be it.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I've never done this with a Jets draft pick before, but I'm ready to buy the jersey the second the number is announced.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Jimmy G sat and Aaron Rodgers sat. Nothing wrong with him sitting.

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I need that number. I do plan to buy his jersey as well.

17. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Behind two of the best to ever play

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

how do we know that he is good at studying film if he loses all the time? how can having Todd Bowles as a head coach be an asset. We are a losing team with losing players. We are doing something wrong

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't start him right away. Ideally, the vet (Bridgewater or McCown) would start and play well for a little while so Darnold can learn and take over at a later time, mid-season or next year.

they should work on smoothing out Darnold's footwork and making sure he keeps the ball UP and with 2 hands in the pocket. That will help with fumbles.

One thing they will be tempted to "fix" though, and I hope they don't right away, is his wacky delivery. Yeah, its slow and too elongated. He looks like a linebacker playing QB and not a refined professional QB, BUT they could really ruin him if they screw with his head too much there.

Let him throw like he does for the first year, I mean it is accurate, and just teach him the professional game, reminding him of footwork and ball security. You can smooth out the delivery over time. Lets get this right with Darnold for the long term

FJF likes this.
  20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He’s playing day 1.. Bates will be all over reviving his career with Darnold over McCown

NYJetsO12 likes this.