Darnold NOT Throwing @ the Combine :/

Discussion in 'Draft' started by abc, Feb 27, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

He’s not throwing because he’s got an unorthodox delivery compared to a guy like Rosen who is picture perfect.

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

lol Rosen is a worst prospect in everything beside the release of the ball compared to Darnold.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Darnold spent all off season working with Palmer before 2017, and is working with him currently.
    In fact, him and Allen are roommates and are both training together under Palmer this off season.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I missed these - good stuff : )

Just a "guess" but I bet they scouted his games.

And Sam Darnold does not and WILL NOT work hard? As far as the "exciting" part goes: haha...that's just weird..

Sam Darnold throwing outdoors in the rain ended up being anything but a huge red flag.

Who has "a deal" prior to the draft? Or maybe he had a deal with Mother Nature on his pro day

(turns out Darnold was given an offer to wait until the rain stopped - Darnold refused, and then showed his "best in show" stuff).

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL No he isn't!

Darnold has the second highest bust potential. He already turns the ball over too much both via interceptions and fumbles. The interceptions are partially poor decision making and partially the hitch in this throwing motion. That is something that probably will be very difficult, if not impossible to change, and it will result in even more interceptions and passes batted down by DBs in the NFL. Similarly, he holds the ball too low in the pocket and has the ball knocked out of his hands entirely too often. That will be difficult to change as well, and will lead to a lot more strip sacks. Perhaps worst of all, he only has 1 1/2 seasons starting experience and regressed badly this past season, in his only full season of starting. He's young, so he has a chance, but I won't be surprised at all if he winds up being a bust. IMO the only chance he has to become a quality starting QB in the NFL is to get drafted by the Giants and sit behind Eli for two years. If Bridgewater is healthy and can start for the forseeable future, and Bates is as good as advertised, then he's have a chance here, but the impatience of fans and perhaps the owners would probably force him onto the field too soon and ruin whatever chances he has of developing. If he could fall to the Cardinals, he'd probably have a pretty good chance. I don't know anything about their HC, OC or QB Coach, but at least he'd be more out of the media spotlight in AZ and there wouldn't be the pressure to force him onto the field immediately. In terms of working on his flaws, he really should have stayed in school another year, but I think he knew he'd never be rated as highly as he is right now.

6. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that Sam won't work hard. Notice that I said "if" he doesn't. He's only been starting in college for 1 1/2 seasons, so there's just too little info on him in spite of all the hype. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that he winds up being a bust. He needs more time to sit, work on his flaws and develop, and being drafted top 3, he isn't gonna get it.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

And can we stop with the misleading "one and a half" spin? On one hand, the Mayfield/Rosen fanboys complain that the 'Darnold hype' is because of the 2016 season and then refer to that same 2016 season as a "half season" when in fact Darnold started 10 of USC's 13 games that year (while seeing action in the other 3 games as well).

8. NCJetsfan

OK, roughly 1 3/4 or maybe 1 7/8. Any way you want to spin it, he still has the least starting experience of any of the top QBs, and QBs with that little starting experience usually don't pan out.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Started less games but has almost 24% more attempts, 30% more yards and 23% more TDs than Allen. Also in starting 6 less games than Rosen, only has 2 less TDs. Also has a better TD to INT ratio than both. And really, are you going to claim that 25 and 30 games over starting 24 games is that big a chasm? I'm sure Allen's games against Gardner Webb and California Davis really helped him step up his game.