Will the Giants really allow the Jets to draft Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 21, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

We all know that these two franchises can’t stand each other, and realize that they are competing for the same dollar.

Will Mara and Tisch really sit there and allow the Jets to draft Sam Darnold?

It’s tricky, because if they pass on a QB I think they want to walk away from this draft with either Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, or Quentin Nelson (“gold jacket guys”). They aren’t getting that at 11 or 12 (Miami or Buffalo). They could get one of those guys at #5, but does Denver like Sam Darnold that much more than Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen?

I’ve also heard that Buffalo could work something out where they jump to #2, the Giants drop to #5, and Denver drops to #12. However if the Bills draft a QB, then Denver is guaranteed to have either Barkley or Chubb on the board at #5. Wouldn’t you just stay at #5 and pick one of the top 2 players in the draft at #5? Plus you also are likely going to have the last QB on the board so you have a ton of leverage there.

With all that said I think if Darnold is there the Giants just take them at #2. It would go (if Allen went one)

1. Cleveland-Allen
    2. NYG-Darnold
    3. Jets-Mayfield (yuck)
    4. Cleveland-Chubb
    5. Denver-Barkley

The Bills then trade up at some point to grab Rosen if the Broncos don’t take him.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

either way we'll F it up.

boozer32, egelband, RPOZ51 and 2 others like this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Not really.

#3 joe, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    K'OB and twown like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know people are excited about the prospect of drafting a QB in the top 3, but this is the most likely outcome no matter what player is drafted.

There is no can't miss prospect in this draft, and even if there was, look at what the dumb ass Colts did to theirs.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

As long as the jets get their guy who cares what the Giants do. The Jets should get either Darnold or Mayfield; I prefer Mayfield but would be happy either way. If the Jets gave up the #6 pick plus three 2nd round picks to move up and don't get their guy, the GM needs fired right then. The draft board for the Jets has Darnold at 1 and Mayfield at 2.

NYJetsO12 and PennyandtheJets like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that's really true - and you, nor anyone else can know that - then Macc is really as dumb as the Hackenberg pick says he is.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It is? That's some top notch info you have there.

8. JetsFan

It is no secret, this shit is all over the news and leaked by staff for the last week. The only reason the news on EVERY site including NFL.com is saying Mayfield to the Jets is a done deal, is because no one expects Darnold to make it to #3.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. JetsFan

If for some reason Darnold and Mayfield are both gone by the Jets pick at #3, the GM proves he is a moron for that trade.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Right, he leaked it to prove to you he's a moron if they're both off the board

stinkyB and playtowinthegame like this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Why? The Jets really like Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen. Going up to three guarantees they get a player they really like, even if it's 3 of 3 it's a heck of a lot better than being left with Josh Allen

12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Agreed. giants have enough problems without worrying about the jets. And local revenue isn’t one of them.

13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Both the Giants and Jets make a ton of money and have their die hards. But a good chunk of football fans in the tri state area are in fact bandwagon fair weather guys who will give their dollar to whatever team is doing better at the moment and has accomplished the most in recent history. That is what they're fighting over.

14. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

If they don’t we take Chubb and teach them a good lesson.

joe likes this.
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What are they fighting over? The PSLs are all sold and the tickets have to be bought by the people that own them anyway and TV is free..I think this is all overblown and the franchises don't hate each other, the fan bases do. Sure there are a few crumbs involved but the owners are quite happy, their franchise are both worth billions more after sharing the costs of building the meadowlands together.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Really? I am not a Mac Homer but tbh he did trade up knowing he is getting sloppy seconds or thirds with the possible that Cleve and NYG take QBs..the FACT that he even did that move sent me over the edge in hope

Totally was on the Darnold train early on then hopped off for all the reasons people have posted bout him..for me it's the lack of playing experience, the turnovers and the USC Sancho repeat fears

So is he really a lock over Rosen and Mayfield or a Middle road Carson Palmer?

Mayfield may have higher grades than we all assume if comes off by our pick...too bad and hard pill to swallow at this point

johnny likes this.
  17. Bgorkey

Bgorkey New Member

The fans hate each other. The teams likely don’t care. And the giants don’t care who we draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkyB and JetBlue like this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The Giants are not picking a QB, they are picking a playmaker that can start day one. It’s either Saquan, Nelson or Chubb.

They don’t have to waste a second overall pick on a QB that won’t see the field for 2 or 3 years, it’s a waste of a pick when a team has a FQB that can give them 3-4 more years.

Surround Eli with playmakers and he will lead them to the playoffs again.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I see what you're saying but another way to look at it is when will they be drafting this high again. If they love Darnold why not take their QB for the next 10 years. Eli has had two bad years in a row and he's not getting younger. I know it's not all his fault but you can't escape age. Barclay is a great talent but the RB lifespan is very short and this draft class has a lot of good backs, ie: Chubb, Michel that can help Eli and possibly a future FQB.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I say the Giants pick either Barkley or Nelson. First pick will give Eli a massive instant boost to his offense and added option to stay at the top of his game for the next 3 years. If they wanted to stash a QB, they would tradedown some and grab the QB that remains around 5-8. Unless they are that sold on Darnold which I doubt.
    What could be crazy, albeit a bit unlikely, if Cleveland is so into Barkley that they pick him at one, then some team crazy as hell might trade the farm to move to two to grab the QB of their dreams.
    I guess I'm coming to the realization the Mac and the CS are pretty happy with either Darnold, Baker or Rosen and thus the trade ahead of time was brilliant. In all likelihood, we might have two to choose from.