Mortenson: Browns deciding between Allen and Darnold

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 27, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

At this point I think it would be a major upset if Darnold didn’t go #1, but does this mean that Allen is the next QB off the board?

I

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Man, mac will look like a genius if ends up with darnold at 3

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Haslem sat in the stands with Darnold's parents for the duration of his Pro Day.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sociopaths can look people in the eye, say that they love them, and then steal their life savings.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  5. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Allen to Browns confirmed

6. JethroTull

Only if Darnold ends up being good. Certainly not a slam dunk.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Imagine being a Brown's fan and watching your team use the 1st pick on Allen? Suffering through 0 and 16 for Allen. They just might as well put the entire city of Cleveland on suicide watch for the next 4 years. How sad for Cleveland. I was really hoping that Allen could go destroy the Bills of Dolphins for the next decade.

8. Martin&theJETS

Is he crazy? I don't know anything about him.

9. JethroTull

I would have an open mind and at least wait and see what Allen is before destroying the pick. Remember when the Knicks fans booed the Porzingis pick because they wanted Mudiay?

BomberJet, westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Most of these successful pricks stepped on bodies to get where they are. I’d say there’s a good chance.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The best part of how terrible the Browns are is that they will Pass on Allen the same way they passed on Wentz (from the same system) and it will bite them in the ass again.

Whoever they draft in the 1st is going to be a bust... Their owner thinks he’s Ron Wolf but has drafted busts every time in the first round since he bought the team.

If they were smart they would take Barkley at 1 and Mayfield at 4. Mayfield reminds me of Andy Dalton with more fire in the belly. Hugh Jackson and Dalton was a nice compliment to each other

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree but I don't think he's getting past the Giants at 2.

I could see Cleveland going with Allen for his upside. They have Tyrod Taylor for the short term so he could sit and learn and they know that by selecting Allen it ensures Barkley will be there at 4.

But I would be stunned if Darnold falls to 3. The Giants themselves or a trade lands Darnold at 2 if Cleveland takes Allen

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Now Daniel Jeremiah who's been slating Darnold to Cleveland all along is saying that he heard over the weekend from his sources that Cleveland might go with Josh Allen. Mel Kiper is turning into the Pied Piper.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope they're right, but I have a hunch - with no facts or inside sources to pin it to, but - that the Browns will take Rosen, despite his alleged comment that he wouldn't play for them. If I'm the Browns, desperate to show fast improvement, I take Rosen at #1 and Barkley at #2 if the Giants don't get him first. In fact, I would try to swap picks with the Giants if I could to get that outcome. It's certainly not what I want to see happen as a Jets fan, but I think it could.

15. FJF

if the draft went rosen barkley and we ended up with darnold i don't think many would complain

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd be disappointed we didn't get Rosen, and prefer their #2 choice is Mayfield, but any of the Top 4 will be a positive step.

17. FJF

Nothing about mayfield says top 5 pick to me.

TonyFtLaud and Rockinz like this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You're spending too much time looking at weather then. ;)

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

I just can't believe it. It would be incredibly stupid to take Josh Allen #1 overall. The Browns could take Barkley #1 overall and still land Allen at #4. Taking Barkley almost ensures that Allen is still on the board at #4. I think the only way it could possibly make sense is IF the Browns just have a massive hard on for Allen and they think the Giants are more likely to take Allen than Barkley.

Taking Allen over Darnold/Rosen and having the kid bust has told you so written all over it. The fool making that decision will be sent down a spiraling path toward unemployment.

If you take Darnold/Rosen over Allen and Allen ends up being better (slim), you get somewhat of a pass. How in world are you supposed to take the walk on at practically a D2 school over the cali kids? Darold/Rosen over Allen is a no brainer and the vast majority of the NFL community would take them over Allen. It is just a safer bet.

#19 Martin&theJETS, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

From your lips to god's ears, but I think a lot of TGG would be pissed if the Jets stepped in shit and Darnold fell to them. . I see the Jets landing Rosen (after Darnold/Barkley go at #1/2) which is fine by me - hell at this stage just grab a QB and let's go and let's hope he's gonna be a guy Bates can seriously coach up.

oh god please let the jets step in shit?... just this once?..

boozer32 and FJF like this.