Josh Allen's Pro Day....for the haters and supporters

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Mar 23, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Daily visual reminder that Josh Allen is horrendous:

[​IMG]

boozer32 and xxedge72x like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

HA.
    Somewhere Mark Sanchez just saw that and said... "Wow, that was a stupid throw!"

legler82 likes this.
  3. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

What's funny is that in this game, Allen showed more talent than Mayfield did in his whole college career.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

boozer32 likes this.
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Posts like this make me realize how strong a narrative is when it comes to convincing people of a point of view. Must bring home to comrades in motherland.

Big Cat, boozer32, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Agree with you but then you post fiction on the Suh thread. Dude is still a dominant player.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Lol can't win them all.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Allen has all the physical tools in the world. The size. The strength. The cannon arm.

But he's also full of question marks.

At pick #6 I'd say why the fk not.

But at 3rd overall. I don't know. In my heart i honestly feel that Darnold, Rosen (concussions are literally the only thing that I'd worry about) & Barkley are the only 3 deserving of our 3rd overall.

Thankfully one will be there.

I'd take either of Mayfield or Allen at pick 6. But at pick 3?

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

unnecessarily throwing off one foot while falling away from the receiver is textbook. Draft this beast.

The game against Iowa was telling for me.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lmao. We have Russians tampering with our draft process!

xxedge72x and stinkyB like this.
  11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Although the article brings up some valid issues with Allen's footwork, it bases its entire analysis of Allen around 4 plays. 1 in which he threw the ball slightly behind a receiver - but a catchable ball, another in which he was about to be tackled and threw the ball behind his tight end, and the 2 interceptions - one where he was being pressured due to poor blocking. There were 36 other pass attempts and 8 rush attempts in the game for Allen. Where is the analysis on those? You can't just ignore the other 92% of plays in which Allen was involved. Again, watch full game tape instead of single plays and tweets. There is far more good than bad. More importantly, Allen's ability can translate to the NFL.

12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Unless they do not absolutely love any of these guys and consider them basically comparable. Then they might pick a QB at 4.

Br4d likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think the logical discussions are reaching the point of critical mass.
    We've entered the next phase which involves fabrication and hyperbole to support a narrative, often introduced under the guise of having watched film.

It's understandably a critical moment for the franchise, and the next few seasons are at stake.
    So posters are pretty passionate on who they like and who they don't, with no real consensus.

And there is still an entire month to go!
    Final phase near draft day will involve panic and hysteria (me included), followed by the inevitable post draft lament and gloom to put a bow on the offseason.

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I see 2 major concerns with the Jets pick.

1) as you said, one major hit and Rosen could call it quits. His family is wealthy so he doesn't need to play and get his brains turned into scrambled eggs. If that hit comes early in his career and he hangs em up the pick is a bust.

2) Allen is the one QB with bust potential. Huge arm but not very accurate and lacks touch on shorter passes. This league isn't about throwing 15 passes 20+ yds down field every game, its about short to medium range accurate passing with 4-5 shots down field a game. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life and neither is big arm, no accuracy or touch.

The safe pic is Mayfield. His biggest knock is his height. He's the most accurate QB in the group this draft class.

Martin&theJETS and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

BTW the guy who intercepted that pass is the 2nd to 4th best CB in this draft depending on whose positional rankings you are looking at.

17. legler82

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...cle_2adb78cf-e654-5f88-a69d-2e44a27d852e.html

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay gives his thoughts on Wyoming's Josh Allen
    LARAMIE — There’s little doubt where ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. stands on Josh Allen. Kiper seemingly kick-started Allen’s offseason ascendance by projecting the former Wyoming quarterback to go first overall in the upcoming NFL Draft.

But it was Kiper’s ESPN draft analyst counterpart, Todd McShay, who made the trip Friday to Laramie along with Mark Schwartz for Wyoming’s Pro Day, where Allen was the center of attention. McShay spoke with reporters at length after Wyoming’s Pro Day. Here’s what he had to say about the Cowboy quarterback.

On whether Allen helped himself Friday: “I think he did. I think what you want to see from this — and listen, there’s no bullets flying. There’s no defense. There’s no pads. But you want to see progression, and you look at the tape and you say, ‘What area can this guy improve upon? And I think it’s very clear he was working with Jordan Palmer to get his base set and just to clean up a little bit of his footwork, so he can be more consistently accurate when the bullets start to fly. And we saw a progression there. He’s got as big an arm as you can possibly have. We knew that coming in, but I think the short to intermediate throws, and a little more touch on those throws, were the two things that really stood out to me.”

On Allen’s growth since McShay first started tracking him: “You see a big progression, I think. First of all, I almost didn’t recognize him, when you see him up close in person and say hi to him, compared to the kid I was talking to a year ago at the conference championship game. He’s put on 20-something good pounds. He looks more ready to go play in that NFL game. And I think just the footwork and the maturity and how he handles himself and carries himself, he’s clearly — that’s when you grow up, right? And he’s really maturing and you can see it and everyone who’s been around him and spent time with him has been really impressed with him. And the reports I get back from NFL teams are that they’re a lot more impressed than they thought they would be when they sit down and interview him.”

On whether Allen would have improved this much if he had stayed at Wyoming for 2018: “There’s no projecting, but I think it’s helped him really work on his footwork and go and really focus and have the time to do that. I think it was huge for him coming back and getting an additional season. I talked to him last year on the phone when he was deciding, and I know he reached out to a lot of people. And it was a tough decision, because he was going to be a first-round draft pick last year. But now he’s potentially a top-three pick. And most importantly, when he gets to the league, he’s a lot more mature and ready physically and mentally than he would have been. And I know the (shoulder) injury happened, and I know they didn’t win as many games as he wanted to, but it’s not always going to be as easy as it was his first year starting at Wyoming and going on and playing in the conference championship. And these are good experiences that he picked up over the last year.”

On whether ESPN put him on a horse like they did during his trip to Laramie for the 2016 Mountain West Football Championship Game: “No, man. I was one-and-done on that. You should have seen me the night before. My producer was getting ready to pull the plug and fly somebody else in for me.”

On how much Pro Days change evaluators’ minds: “I think it’s more of a confirmation (bias). If you’re pounding the table for him, there’s nothing you saw here today that would make you question (that). And I think that’s the most important thing. Listen, I say it all the time: JaMarcus Russell had the best Pro Day I’ve ever been to. This one was really good. Sam Darnold’s was really good the other day, too. And JaMarcus Russell’s was better. And Teddy Bridgewater had the worst one I’ve ever seen, and when healthy, he’s been a good player in the NFL. So, you really have to keep this in perspective, to me. Of all of the pre-draft process, it’s probably the least important aspect of it. I think the stuff that goes on when the cameras aren’t rolling, the interviews, the private time that he spends when he goes to teams and gets put on the board.

“(Houston Texans head coach Bill) O’Brien last year was saying, he had a really good story, or interesting story to me, at least. They weren’t sure their guy was Deshaun Watson in Houston until they brought him in. And it wasn’t necessarily (working on X’s and O’s) on the board. It was when they broke for lunch. They were on the board for five hours. When they broke for lunch, they went down and players were kind of flocking around him. And the way Deshaun carried himself, and just to see how impressed they were and how the other teammates really respected him, those are the little things that can help break ties when it’s all said and done.”

On the disparity between teams’ view of Allen and some of his detractors: “I mean, it doesn’t really matter what the fans think, at the end of the day. Ultimately, I mean, I know there’s a lot of people out there saying that this guy was at Reedley College, he wasn’t recruited, he went to Wyoming, what’s the big deal? But people with the trained eye that are making the decisions, they know what they’re looking for.”

On whether he would be shocked if Allen wasn’t one of the first five draft picks: “I would be surprised. I would be. Especially, the Giants are sitting there at two. We know the Browns are looking at quarterback and very likely to take a quarterback. And even if that’s Darnold, I think a team like the Buffalo Bills with five picks in the top 65 overall, very capable of moving up to number two if the Giants decide they don’t want to take a quarterback. And then you have the Jets already move (up). They didn’t move up for a guard, give away two second-round picks to go move up and take Quinton Nelson out of Notre Dame. I think the top three very easily could be quarterbacks, and even if Allen’s the third of those three, he’s still a top-three pick overall.”

On whether teams have concerns about big quarterbacks: “(Blake) Bortles isn’t in this level. This level is (Ben) Roethlisberger, JaMarcus, absolutely. There are some teams that very clearly are worried about that, but I think other teams are focused on the right things, and that’s, can he be accurate? Is he a winner? Is he a leader? And those are the sort of things you’ve got to go through. Listen, you’re going to hear 56.1, that number, a hundred times between now and the draft. How did he only complete 56.1 (percent of his passes)? Put in the tape, some of them are his. He’s got to own some of them, and he does. But there are some where receivers aren’t separating and not making contested that guys at Oklahoma were and guys at USC were at some point. I think, you’ve just got to know what you’re looking for. And there’s a risk factor here. I’m not going to lie. I’m not going to stand here and lie. He’s not as accurate in the tape you watch as you’d like to see from a guy who’s a top-five pick. But with the mobility, the arm, and the ability to learn and develop, and showing here that he’s learning and progressing, rather than just sticking with what he does, I think that’s kind of the positive that you see.”

On what scouts have been saying about Allen: “The vast majority see all the potential and everything he brings to the table. There are some that are worried about the accuracy, but at the end of the day, as I was just saying, with three teams potentially in the top three picks overall, Denver sitting there at five, … you’ve got Miami at 11, Arizona at 15 and the Bills having five picks in the top 65 overall, including 12 and 22, these quarterbacks are going to go. We’ve seen in the last two years, five quarterbacks teams trade up in the first round to go get. And I think it’s going to be more of the same. We’ve already seen one team trade up for, presumably, with the New York Jets.”

On whether Allen’s stock ever dropped because of his struggles in 2017: “The stock thing’s hard. Because it’s based off of perception. I think there were some throws he’d like to have back from this year, but I also think he matured a lot, and I think you see some growth in him. Like I said, draft position is important. It obviously matters for the money he makes. But it’s more important where he goes. And I think you want to wind up in a place, oddly enough, like Cleveland now, that has (Ken) Zampese there to help coaching quarterbacks and has brought in a lot of young talent and is starting to get more offensive linemen and (Jarvis) Landry at the wide receiver position. They’ve got some weapons and some young guys. To me, I think it really, his success, a lot of it will have to do obviously with him and how he works and how he carries himself, but also where he goes and what the supporting cast is.”

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. legler82

....On how much intangibles matter: “It’s a huge thing. Intangibles are a huge factor. And like I said before, it’s been very positive, the feedback I’ve gotten, that he’s more outgoing than you would think and carries himself better than people maybe anticipated or guessed. From every report I’ve gotten, he’s handled it extremely well, this process. You know, he’s grounded. I’ve met his parents and obviously know his background, just like you guys do. Growing up on a farm, he’s a problem solver. He’s had to grow up to get to where he is. He wasn’t recruited, JUCO, and has had to grind to get here. So, Josh Rosen was the ‘Chosen Rosen,’ right? He was the guy, and that’s not a negative. There are different paths to get to where you are. I kind of prefer a guy who’s had to struggle and knows what it’s like.”

On whether Allen would have benefited from passing in the snow at his Pro Day:“We all know he’s got a big arm, let’s put it that way.”

boozer32 likes this.
  19. legler82

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...xec-says-josh-allen-is-2018-nfl-drafts-top-qb

Sources Tell Us: Exec says Josh Allen is 2018 NFL Draft's top QB
    • [​IMG]
    • By Lance Zierlein
    • NFL Media draft analyst
    • Published: March 23, 2018 at 09:40 a.m.
    • Updated: March 23, 2018 at 10:25 a.m.
    • 0 Likes | 0 Comments
    The scoop: "Josh Allen is the best quarterback in this draft. I think all of the talk about his accuracy is the most overblown thing out there. His guys don't get open, which causes a lot of the incompletions -- it's not an accuracy issue." -- NFC executive

The skinny: Allen is the undisputed king of arm talent and measurables among the QBs in this draft. With prototypical size and a cannon for a right arm, Allen is a rare physical specimen at the position. It's also fair to say that Wyoming's wide receivers struggled to uncover for him, which didn't allow for as many easy throwing windows as some of the other quarterbacks in this draft enjoyed during their college careers. When Allen hit the field earlier this month at the NFL Scouting Combine, even his most steadfast critics had to admit that he was not only impressive with his release and velocity, but also with his ability to throw the ball with accuracy on a consistent basis.

With all of that said, Allen's inconsistency in throwing with anticipation was also a major culprit in his failure to reach the 57-percent completion mark in each his two years as a starter (teams typically want to see at least a 60-percent completion rate). While Allen will most definitely benefit from a huge jump in the quality of receivers he is throwing to once he enters the NFL, there is no guarantee that his anticipatory throwing will substantially improve.

Allen saw plenty of tight throwing windows in college, but the difference in the pros is that open windows close much faster and hesitations in decision-making will lead to defended passes, including interceptions. Allen's completion percentage was also hurt by taking unnecessary chances with throws. That's on Allen, not on his receivers.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah highly doubt that. No one on the planet would believe that. Even Allen said SettletDawg said what?