Wow - Nugent has a leg, Pennington an Arm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 27, 2006.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He was the QB when we beat NE.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Actually it has been quiet in here!!!! Why is it always more quiet after a win than it is when we lose! This is ridiculous! :mad:

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

so that one very good win gives you full confidence in him, despite the numerous mediocre/bad performances he's had this year?

how do you think Chad will play in the Playoffs against teams like Denver (if they don't implode), San Diego and Baltimore? just curious. because i think they'd own him.

maybe he can move the ball on Indy's D, and he's proven he can manage the game against NE - if the rest of the team plays well - but to say, "here Chad, go out there and beat this elite Defense," -- I don't think he can do it, and nothing he's done has led me to believe he can... oh wait, he played really well in 2002 and 2004; okay, now i'm a believer.

cheers

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Chad played really well in 04? The Jets played the Pats and the Steelers 4 times that season and Chad led the offense to just under 6 PPG against those opponents.

5. The Uniform Bomber

i mean, the arguement will always be, "well, he led us to the Playoffs in '04." i don't think he played THAT well, but did enough to get us there.

the point i'm making is, besides 2002 and a Playoff run in 2004, he's not good enough to beat the elite Defenses. and based on this year's play (which the Chad lovers never want to use as a guage), he hasn't shown anything to warrant belief that he'll beat Defenses like Baltimore, San Diego, and Denver -- in fact, if we met up with New England in the Playoffs, I think Belichick will be ready for him. but i'm sure someone will allude to Chad-'02,'04 in an attempt to explain how he's good enough to take us to the next level.

cheers

6. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Hey bite your tongue. You should have seen that high-school game Chad played back in 1996- he was impressive and not even red-shirted as a freshman.

Based upon his play during high school, plus 2002 and a good game last week, I can safely say that Chad is THE QB for this team, and the only one capable of bringing us to the superbowl.

What's that, the really bad seaons, or games this season? Don't worry about them, just pretend they don't exist.

7. 3rdAnd15Draw

He got us there by taking advantage of the bottom feeders on the schedule(there were alot that year) and looking lost against the good defenses he faced. Seems familiar huh?

Since I know junc or someone will come in here and talk about how unfair it is to judge Pennington against the top defenses in the league I'll attempt to put it in perspective.

The Patriots gave up an average of 16.4 PPG(including playoffs) in 2004 and the Jets offense averaged 7 PPG against them that year.

The Steelers gave up an average of 17.2 PPG(inlcuding playoffs) in 2004 and the Jets offense averaged 4.5 PPG against them that year.

There's no way to whitewash that, good defenses or not, Pennington and the Jets performed well below the league average against them.

8. The Uniform Bomber

hah yeah, based on those High School games, he's definitely a Top 5 QB in the league.

i just don't get why people refer to Chad's past good years. they're not relevant to how he's playing now; so, really, what's the point? to hold onto that hope that he may play like that again? any other fan trying to justify another QB with that logic would get grilled, as would the QB. but with Chad it's different.

cheers

9. The Uniform Bomber

deja vu.

and it's not like he went off against New England. I'll give him credit for managing the game and getting that monkey off his and the team's back, but it still doesn't make me feel good about playing someone like Denver in the first round. they'd tee off on him the entire game.

and honestly, how many of the good, Playoff-caliber QB's do you question week to week? for the most part, you can bank on getting a good performance out of them. with us, we have no clue how Pennington will play, and - at this point - a very good game is an aberration where we can breathe a sigh of relief. is that the kind of confidence you're supposed to have in a QB?

cheers

10. nyjunc

I am not worried how Chad will perform in the playoffs, I am worried about how Chad will perform at GB. We have a long way to go to get to the playoffs. IF we make it do I have confidence we can win w/ him? Absolutely.

In 3 of 4 of those games he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

Again he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in 3 of those 4 games and the 1 healthy game we lost by 6 at NE.

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Does every answer always come with an excuse to protect Chad?

12. nyjunc

You don't think having a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder hindered him at all?

13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

It's just excuse upon excuse, truly maddening.....I've never seen someone go so far out on a limb to protect a prior regime and a "once OK" quarterback.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

All aboard the excuse train. He scored 7 points in 1 healthy game against NE, 7 points in the other NE game and 6 and 3 points against the Steelers. Where's the big difference in performance?

After his pass in the SD game everyone pointed out how his arm couldn't be that bad after a throw like that etc. I'm sure it hampered him some but 2004 still followed the pattern of his career of beating up on the bad teams and being completely ineffective against the good ones, whether he was healthy or not.

15. nyjunc

All the facts are in my corner, you guys are the ones who make up excuses and discredit the fomer regime. It's hysterical, all I heard was how Parcells left herm this great team and he won w/ his players yet now Mangini has a team he's winning w/ full of Herm/TB guys and the same logic doesn't apply. It's the same type of deal whenever we won it was b/c of the players but when we lost it was b/c of Herm and this year whenever we win it's b/c of mangini and when we lose it's b/c of the players.

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Funny thing, Herm couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag or win consistently with the players you mention. It's only since Mangini is onboard that things are starting to click....

17. The Uniform Bomber

definitely one game at a time.

but you just made my point for me: you're worried about how Chad will perform at GB, a team that isn't very good.

how many good QB's are concerned, worried, left wondering, how they'll play each week? inconsistency and instability gives me no confidence in Chad.

cheers

18. nyjunc

You are right, he only has the most playoff appearances in team hsitory in only 5 years of coaching but he couldn't win w/ them:lol: The only years he didn't make the playoffs he lost his starting QB for half the year in '03 and most of the year in '05.

Let's go over this one mroe time:

New York Jets 1960-2000(41 seasons): 8 playoff appearances
    New York Jets 2001-2005(5 seasons): 3 PO appearances

NY Jets 1987-2000(14 seasons): TWO Playoff appearances
    NY Jets 2001-2005(5 seasons) THREE playoff appearances

NY Jets 1970-2000(31 seasons): ONE AFC East Title
    NY Jets 2001-2005(5 seasons): ONE AFC East Title

NY Jets 1999 and '00: MISS playoffs
    NY Jets 2001 and 2002:MAKE playoffs

19. nyjunc

When I say worrried I don't mean I don't think Chad will do the job I mean I am concerend about the game like I am every week. I just want to win. I am confident in Chad to do the job.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

I thought this topic was about Chad? Junc, the fact is that you spin facts and redirect topics as much as if not more then anyone else on the board. It's the only way you can maintain your meticulously crafted illusion that you are never wrong.