Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all you've said, but for me the difference is the mental makeup of Mayfield and Allen. Mayfield is an overcomer. He has been proving his doubters wrong his whole football career. He walked on at two major football schools, won over the coaches, won the starting job, then played at a VERY high level. He's smart and a hard worker.

Allen didn't overcome the lack of talent around him. He improved in some areas in 2017, but declined in others. I don't think he has the confidence or burning desire to be the best like Mayfield does, either. I think he's more laid back. If he succeeds, I think it will be somewhere like Buffalo on the midwest or south, not in the glare and impatience of NY/NJ.

Even though he's not that similar to Hack, the accuracy thing is very similar, and Jets fans are so pissed over Hack, I don't think they or the media would give Allen a fair chance.

IMO Mayfield had better be the Jets' 3rd choice (if not higher).

Noam likes this.
  2. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

We're not getting Darnold, no way. Then, we don't know what the hell the Giants will do. They might go for a QB or trade with someone who will go for a QB, I doubt they'll stay at 2 and draft a RB. Rosen seems to fragile, some mock drafts actually put him at the 8th pick and say Cardinals will draft him.

Bringing Mayfield means media spotlight, means more media coverage. Honestly guys, when I saw that crotch grab of his, I thought to myself well damn, there's a Jet.

NCJetsfan and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Played poorly to end his season?
    He came back from injury to light it up at the Potato Bowl (in the sleet and snow), Senior Bowl, and Combine.
    That's someone with something to prove, and he went out and did just that.
    Compare that to Rosen, who missed games due to concussion, and then hid from his bowl game even tho cleared to play.
    Or compare it to Darnold, who was horrible in his bowl game, and hid at the Combine.

Allen and Mayfield are the players with a chip on shoulder, finished the year the strongest, and are the most mentally tough of the group.
    I put a huge premium on that.

What else makes Allen a good prospect?
    - plays well in bad weather
    - Favre like hands to hold onto the football instead of fumbling
    - experience in pro style system
    - excellent footwork under Center, and in play action
    - very good throwing motion and release
    - picks up chunk yardage with his legs when needed, very tough to defend in short ydg
    - massive arm which is threat to throw a TD from anywhere on the field. hard to stack the box against that threat.
    - tremendous leadership, toughness, and coachability intangibles

Your Hack comparisons indicate to me you didn't watch either guy in college.
    I don't see any experts making this comparison, and for good reason. It's only Jets fans.

LF911SC likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

LOL The thing you have to understand about Rockinz is that he is on record as saying that he LOVES Boom or Bust prospects. He gets really excited by them and I could be mistaken, but believe that every time there is one, he wants the Jets to take him.

5. BacktoQueens

No way Darnold gets passed the Giants.
    I believe he is the only QB they want, and are holding onto the pick to see what Cleveland does.
    It's possible if Darnold gone, they would trade their pick to Denver or Buff and they would take Allen.

I wouldn't mind Mayfield if it unfolds like that, although I'd prefer Allen.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I have always acknowledged his weaknesses. I just think his weaknesses can be fixed where Rosen’s (injuries) and Mayfields(size) can’t..

7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Im with you on the personality of Mayfield, I love it, hes a fighter. Hes overcome a lot. But why has he had to? Why wasnt he recruited, why did he have to prove everyone wrong? I dont know, nor do I know when it ends, when you cant just will it to happen.

I also cant say with any certainty how much the lack of talent hurt Allen. Its too cliche to just say that as the QB he has to make those around him better. I dont buy that. P Manning never won a national championship, never was able to bring them to that level. I've never seen anyone better than Marino on the field and he never was able to take decent and good talent to a SB win. Sometimes its just impossible. Everything Ive read about Allen is that he wants it as much as anyone. Who knows, we take too much from clips of people, we dont know with any certainty what Mayfield or Allens mental makeup is. Big, strong, etc and he doesnt try, short underdog he has to be a pitbull. Its what we do. Who knows for sure. I dont believe for a second that Rosen could care less and thats the perception.

The accuracy thing isnt like Hack. its based on sub 60% completion percentages, Hack misses simple throws in the flat. I've made my point over and over, completion % can be overstated and accuracy is a lot more than completion %, which isnt an indication of accuracy too often.

Not to confuse things, I'll be happy with either QB and 100% behind them. I'm not rooting for one to fail to prove myself righ

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Good scouts and GMs don't base everything on 1 game either. PS- Not every "expert" has Allen at the top of the draft class.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Much higher level? ROFLMAO!!! Please, guy, you're embarrassing yourself.

10. Rockinz

Take a good look who Wentz played and who Allen played. Most of the teams Wentz played I didn’t even know existed!

11. Rockinz

He also played well in his bowl game on his biggest collegiate stage. If you have time check the tape out of that game. He passed the eye test big time and looked like a blue chipper all day

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

The Giants are muddying the water. They're saying they'll stick with Eli but they know full well the next year draft is a weak QB draft and that the one afterwards isn't much better either. The only way I see them not going for a QB is trading their pick for a bunch of other picks if someone offers enough of them.
    Darnold worked out for the Browns before his pro day I believe, I think there's 99% chance he'll go there. I'd prefer Mayfield because he seems to have the right mentality for the team. Allen seems like a project and I'm not sure we can handle a project.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Rockinz

Here is some good tape with high stakes

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

As Jets fans we're not only well conditioned to disappointment, but have come to expect it, and are pleasantly surprised when we aren't disappointed.

Attackett likes this.
  15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Its pretty safe to say that if youve followed football, the college draft, for any period of time its that you have no idea in March what next years QB class will look like and forget about 2 years down the road.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

Senior Bowl gets a lot of emphasis, especially with small school guys, as it's a level playing field with and against top competition. Case in point, Carson Wentz silenced a lot of critics with his performance (although many stubborn ones remained doubters also).
    It certainly wasn't Allen's only good game either, but you already know that.

I don't see too many experts having him outside the top 5 or 10 picks, but many on this board are convinced he's Hack for some reason.
    There is a huge disconnect here.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Look no further than two of our 19 QBs. Hackenberg and Teddy were first overall picks in some mock drafts years before they came out.

LF911SC likes this.
  18. Rockinz

His OL was so bad.. especially at RT but he never threw them under the bus. His teammates loved him

19. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

It seems to be the consensus in sports talk I've heard and read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...look-at-the-potential-2019-nfl-draft-qb-class
    >Nobody in the 2019 class looks like Josh Allen, and few of them are likely to have resumes that resemble those of Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield
    >Even if all five of the quarterbacks above perform well in 2018 and enter the draft in 2019 ... it'll be hard for the 2019 class to hold a candle to a flawed-but-deep, high-upside 2018 class.

That's just one example.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't speak for others, but I don't think Allen is Hack. I just don't want to take him with the 3rd pick when at least one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield will be available.