Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Listen, ANYONE with a clean pocket can throw an accurate ball. It's what you can do with a muddy pocket that counts.

Not seeing the accuracy at all, the WR drops were overblown. I've seen his WRs get separation and he will typically wait an extra half second to try and blow the top off, which leads to an incompletion or a sack. Not seeing these things in general. I'd like to see something solid.

Watch his tape against Utah St, not a great team by any means and his stats are pretty good for the game. It's an excellent example of good numbers/bad tape.
    [​IMG]

Here is a completion he actually made, he throws into double coverage and somehow this ball doesn't get picked. Looks like an awesome play, but it's really not. In the NFL, this is getting picked off - he won't be playing against Colorado St. This is what I was describing earlier, he waits too long, he had a clean window a half second earlier (on top of that, he stares the WR down the entire play).
    [​IMG]

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Absolutely to each their own. Out of curiosity besides Darnold who will be 1... who do you like and why?

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Rosen is my top choice for obvious reasons (he's the best passer in the draft) but if he's gone, it's Mayfield over Allen and I don't even think twice about it. Accuracy, attitude, can extend plays with his legs, can make plays with his legs, can make all the throws. If he were two inches taller he'd be the first overall pick.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not certain that Allen is as good as Hackenberg coming out of school.

Penn State played Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State, among others, in 2015. That's 3 teams ranked in the top 12.

Wyoming's best opponent's last year were Boise State and Fresno State. They played one team that wound up ranked in the top 25.

Seriously, if you take Josh Allen you have to think you can wave a magic wand and make him a good QB because for all the athleticism that he displays he is not currently a good QB.

5. Rockinz

If you look closely at the first play that’s a screen pass gone wrong because the RB doesn’t find any open space...

The second play the WR high points the ball at the side line... the corner has no chance at that ball and the safety unless he’s Eric Berry would be tough to pick

6. BroadwayAaron

The first play should have been throwing out of bounds. Instead it was thrown directly to a defender.

The second play, the ball should have never even been thrown. The receiver made the play happen despite how awful a decision it was from Allen.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield belongs in the category with Darnold and Rosen. After that it gets real shaky imo.

8. Rockinz

I agree if he was taller he’d be the top pick. I like Mayfield I’m just hesitant to take him over Allen because he could be a product of the system and His size is really small compared to most successful QBs... he could be Drew Breese or Johnny Manziel..

9. rockyusmc2003

Stop it, you know his receivers can't catch :p

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If we're grading his judgement that 2nd play was worse than the first despite the end result

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. rockyusmc2003

[​IMG]

This is what happens with bad footwork in the NFL.

xxedge72x and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

13. Rockinz

When I’m not on my phone I’ll message you some clips to watch of Allen

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  14. rockyusmc2003

Ok cool, but please don't send me highlight videos.

Rockinz likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

I think we've all seen them. The problem is it feels like you're finding every way possible to shut down any negative film of Allen. The guy has MASSIVE glaring weaknesses and you won't acknowledge them other than by saying "no he's not perfect". I don't know what Allen will be, I think he is going to be the biggest top 10 QB bust in years, but I also am willing to take the positives into account. The issue is there are just as many negatives.

xxedge72x and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

That’s more horrible awareness than it is bad footwork.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Allen played great against the best competition in college ball at the Senior Bowl. No magic wand was required.

The Hack comparisons are lazy as Hack was so fundamentally mechanically flawed. He had terrible coaching and was shell shocked from the constant hits. He essentially had to learn how to play QB all over again at the NFL level which is very difficult. There is a huge reason why Allen may go #1 overall whereas Hack was a reach at the end of round 2. Completely different prospects. Only Jet fans are making that bad comparison.

Rockinz likes this.
  18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

With the JPP trade, its more likely-than-not the NYG are looking at Chubb with the #2 overall.

Makes Rosen/Darnold more likely-than-not available to the Jets at #3. Woo hoo.

19. rockyusmc2003

He played well, and had some big throws. However, by that logic- Why isn't Kyle Lauletta in the discussion? He tore it up at the Senior Bowl.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Hackenberg had a great game against OSU too if I remember. Went to OT.