Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey Paulie. Welcome to the board. Great first post. Please post more. :)

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You can only brag about this if you drive an M3 or M5......;)

zace likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Very true

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Anyone that even remotely compares Mayfield with Manziel has no clue what they're talking about and should just stop talking/typing, because they're embarrassing themselves.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course it was a dumb mistake, but I'd be curious to know how many on here have made that mistake, or could have easily? It is only by the grace of God that I didn't get one when I was in college. I went to a small school out in the boonies. The only thing to do on the weekends was to go to the local tavern at the lake where they had bands and dancing. On a couple of occasions before I knew it, I had drunk 2-3 pitchers of beer by myself in 3-4 hours and would have to drive my date and I back to campus. They were always in worse shape than I was., and my friends had already gone, so I had no choice but to drive myself. There were no cabs, Uber or Lyft, or campus provided rides. If any sheriffs or highway patrol had seen me, I would have been arrested, and they definitely patrolled the roads between the tavern and campus. I learned from it and cut waaaaaaaay down on my drinking.

That was the only legal problem for Mayfield. I think he learned his lesson.

#1185 NCJetsfan, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The reason the comparison is made is that they are both in the small number of short QBs with a first round value.

People also seem to forget that Manziel got off to a decent start on the field as a pro before his off field problems got the better of him.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct!..and there is NO pleasing this Fanbase..

All the Quarterback haters have come in full force after Mac made this move that could probably CHANGE HISTORY..I will bet my bottom dollar when the final selection is made 60 per cent of all other QB supporters will be in full revolt

When the smoke clears begrudgingly the old attitudes on TGG will die

TiILL THEN ..do you remember that song NC?? "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT??? 7xs repeat AHAHAHA

A history of drafting Defense after Defense for EIGHT YEARS that have got us going NOWHERE!..apparently too many here are conditioned to expect this and are the SOJ fans..feh feh

Freddy Mondo and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Intense/emotional competitor with some questions off the field? Sounds like a pretty reasonable comparison to me. However i believe Mayfield has a much better head on his shoulders and will mature quickly. Already seems like the people around him have stepped in with each transgression. I especially think this will continue with McCown as a mentor. I personally see either Mayfield or Rosen being the name on draft night and am JACKED for either or.

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"Likes" is a bit strong. I just don't think he's the disaster a lot of these guys are making him out to be just as I don't think Mayfield is the slam dunk that many seem to think. The year of the QB has been a real let down IMO. The top of class is filled with prospects with major question marks. The one thing I'll give this class is depth. It wouldn't surprise me if quite a few of the guys drafted outside of the first end up being better pros.

11. legler82

What the hell does Phil Simms know about quarterbacking?

Brook! likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ects-of-past-3-nfl-draft-classes-darnold-no-1

Brook! likes this.
  13. legler82

I never get the immediate push back on the Manziel comp. I mean they do have a lot similarities. In addition to what you wrote, they have similar size, similar production, come from a similar offense, similar style of play with Mayfield being the more polished pocket passer and Manziel the better scrambler, both are Heisman trophy winners, both got 1st round grades; both their last names start with the letter "M"...LOL. Manziel was no slouch as a prospect or even as an NFL QB to be honest; he just couldn't get his sh*t together. I guess people have trouble separating prospect comparisons from potential career comparisons when the comp ultimately did not pan out had it's prospect they really like.

#1193 legler82, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Jets_Grinch likes this.
  14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Yeah if Manziel had a different mentality he would’ve been fine. I was there for the opener and McCownicopter and Manziel came in and looked pretty good. Mayfield was a way better college player and has a stronger arm too, add with the mentality and it’s a good pick.

15. legler82

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2, I could be persuaded into trading back with the Broncos. Let's say Elway is dead set on getting Saquon Barkley, and is afraid the Browns will take him at 4. We could call them up when we are on the clock. Here is the offer

New York Jets receive:
    Broncos 1st round: 5th overall (1,700 pts)
    Broncos 2nd round: 40th overall (500 pts)
    Broncos 3rd round: 71st overall (235 pts)
    Broncos 3rd round: 99th overall (104 pts)
    Total Points: 2,539

Denver Broncos receive:
    Jets 1st round: 3rd overall (2,200 pts)
    Total Points: 2,200

3. Broncos draft Saquon Barkley
    4. Browns draft Quenton Nelson
    5. Jets draft Baker Mayfield

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Barkley is the best player in all of college football entering this draft. Point blank period. He's the best prospect coming out.

If Darnold is off the board @ #3 then Barkley better become a Jet.

Mayfield has questions left and right (especially off the field) and Rosen has had multiple head concussions with trauma to his brain. At #3? No thanks to both. Allen? Has too many flaws which reminds you of Hackenberg. Hell no.

QB or no QB; Barkley is the best player coming out. If he's there @ 3 and Darnold is off the board? Barkley is a must. Kid is a guaranteed Franchise changer and an offensive nightmare.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Go look at the last 10 Super Bowl Champions, and tell me if they had a Top 10 RB on their roster. If we had Kirk, then I am with you 100%. We have to get a FQB first and that is the only priority.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you think a team trades 3 second round picks to move up to the third pick in a draft where 4 QBs could be franchise guys just to take an RB, you're going to be highly disappointed come draft day.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Gonna shamelessly toot my own horn and say that legler and I started parading about Wentz and Mahomes at the same time, WELL before the media had them in the first round (November for Wentz and January for Mahomes).

Which is why I’m so surprised he’s not joining me on the Mayfield bandwagon.

NYJetsO12 likes this.