Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Jet fans for mostly good reasons have had a long history of dislike towards Cimini. But for many years I would argue he has been right more than wrong. Since Mac has taken over Cimini has been swinging and missing a lot more. This article appears more like simple speculation based on measurables than anything else which also seems to be the driving force behind a similar article from Costello.

My general alert warning said when there is ample there is generally fire and that two articles add confirmation to each other but looking closer they both look at page hit articles with no sources. The same type of speculative article could be written that the top 3 fit the system while Allen doesnt. My guess is both Cimini and Codtello will write page hit articles saying this at somepoint.The clearer picture on Mayfield likely won't come for a few more weeeks.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think what is making Macc skittish isn't so much Mayfield's height, but his attitude and off the field stuff. I would say the same thing about Rosen and his "Fck Trump" considering WJ is Trump's butt buddy. Still could be a surprise but given Macc's shakey history with Qb's, Josh Allen seems to be the pick.

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Maybe after seen mayfield he decided he’s not the one and I better move up to get one of the other 3. No one on this site has scouted any of these guys. Just agreeing with what someone wrote. I am gonna trust our gm in whoever he picks because he knows more then the media or me. Besides we have no choice.

FJF likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Big difference in ceiling between Big Ben and Stafford . A hall of fame QB vs an average QB. Big Ben was a much better and more polished QB in college than Allen. He led Miami of Ohio to a top 10 overall ranking pretty much by himself in his senior year with only one loss on opening week to Iowa.

I would also argue Allen's floor is much lower than Bottles. Bottles is more likely Allens ceiling and much better than teams fans should expect from him. His floor is Sanchez, jamarcus Russell , Hackenburg, Gabbert and so on. He is unpolished, unproven, poor mechanics, lacks anticopation, awful accuracy and has played terrible against really bad opposition. His floor is as low it goes. His elevator does not stop at the basement.

#204 Noam, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I hope Cleveland swerves us all and takes Allen at 1.

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I don't think the Giants are willing to go back that far. I could see them go to 4-7, so that they can still get one of Barkley, Chubb or Nelson. Unless Buffalo can first make another step up the board, I can't see them getting to #2. Denver on the other hand would scare me. I could see Elway moving up ahead of us to grab Rosen.

7. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Our only hope is that Barkley or Allen go in the top 2. I don't think it's likely though.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

buffalo's gonna end up stuck at 12 taking Mason Rudolph hahaha

101GangGreen101 and stinkyB like this.
  9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If the giants don't trade out they could take barkley. They love RBs and have had plenty of good ones over the years.

GasedAndConfused and Jets_Grinch like this.
  10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't care if Rosen is some whiney opinionated snowflake. He can play the position. Don't care what he says about Trump as long as he leads us to W's. Plus as if it's rare for some college kid to be a liberal. A lot of them change as they mature

Mayfield I think will settle it down in the pros. He's not Manziel level in terms of self destructiveness.

It's not going to be Allen. Too big a project. Doesn't fit into the offense we're installing. He will definitely need to sit for a year. Maybe even 2.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

worth noting is their new GM, selected RB Mccaffrey last year 7th overall which was a huge reach. barkely is widely considered the best player in the draft so landing him at 2 would be a big plus. not to mention the giants are desperate for RB. so desperate they just signed stewart

12. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

C'mon Josh "Browning Nagle" Allen is the tops

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. GasedAndConfused

or jackson which could haunt us for a decade

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. forevercursed

I don't think it matters what happens to Barkley. We signed Crowell. They're not picking Barkley.

Mac I think knows for sure that one of Darnold or Rosen will be there at 3. If for some reason they're both gone he's totally fine with Mayfield. If we stayed at 6 there was the chance Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield AND Allen are all gone (but the top 3 would def be gone)

15. forevercursed

He'll never be an NFL QB

16. GasedAndConfused

they said the same about watson and he was playing great until the freak injury ended his season. and jackson is a much better prospect then watson and is a better prospect then vick when he came out.

17. forevercursed

Even Watson wasn't that great. Completion percentage was meh. He did have the TD's but picks were troublingly high. Only 3-3 as a starter. Now who knows if he'll ever be the same because so much of what he did was dependent on his legs.

With Jackson, when you have legit pro scouts suggesting a move to WR, that's a major red flag.

18. GasedAndConfused

62% as a rookie is good. not to mention 1700 yards in 1/3rd of a season (projects to over 5k yards) and a QB rating of over 100. he did throw a lot of picks but he's a rookie. even peyton maning threw a ton of picks as a rookie. watson projected numbers had he stayed at his current pace and not gotten hurt would have been over 50TDs and 5k yards. as a rookie. that's insane.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

https://sports.yahoo.com/saying-lam...receiver-nfl-flat-lazy-210217436.html?src=rss

20. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I was one of the vocal anti-Hackenberg posters during his draft year (although I still root for him now that he's a Jet and hope that he can improve). I've now watched the Iowa and Hawaii game for Allen and I don't understand the Hackenberg comparisons at all. They are completely different players. I'm at the point where I think I won't respect your opinions if you think Allen is comparable to Hackenberg.

Hackenberg takes a long time to diagnose plays and throws to his check downs a lot. He struggles making simple sideline out and flat throws. When there is no pressure and the receiver is open, Hack will make a decent throw, but his arm is still mediocre. If there is any pressure what so ever, Hack panics and either goes to his check down right away or falls down. Allen competes through pressure and always tries to keep the play alive. He doesn't panic like Hackenberg does at the first sign of pressure (and even the best o-lines give up 10+ QB pressures a game). He makes surprisingly accurate and crisp throws (look at the out routes against Iowa). in short, he's a completely different player from Hackenberg.

Basically, if a wide receiver gets open and there's time to throw the ball, I trust that Allen can get the job done whereas Hackenberg would need a completely pressure-free pocket. Allen still needs to learn the art of "throwing" the receiver open but he's much further along than Hackenberg in terms of diagnosing plays quickly and, more importantly, competing through pressure. Allen kind of reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. I'm going to watch more games of Allen (i'm trying to find the oregon game right now).

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.