Wow - Nugent has a leg, Pennington an Arm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 27, 2006.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

David Carr sucked yesterday, why, becuase he checked down all game long. It was like watching Chad in many ways. Once Carr got behind he was dead. Once Chad got a life by having an INT dropped in the end zone and the Jets got a lead Chad kept getting better and better. Chad is very effective with a lead, he is very weak when he has game pressure on him and has to make plays.

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

well my thoughts on pennington hasnt change beating the texans aint gonna do that for me he still has avg arm at beast.. for example on the coles bomb that was all coles cause that pass sailed on a chad coles still located it and found the ball made the play.... nugent on the other cant say im suprised guy had a big leg in college and its starting to translate into the pro's.

but chad gives us the best chance to win now so i like when he plays well.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Michael Vick has an awesome arm and he can run for 150 yards to boot. How's he doing? Would you rather have him as our QB? Making all those good decisions? I wouldn't trade Chad for him straight up.

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

vick also has 2 less ints and 2 more passing tds than pennington.. even so i wouldnt trade pennington for vick because vick isnt the kind qb im talking bout.

5. Italian Seafood

Not just you, the whole "noodle arm" crowd. By that standard, Browning Nagle should have had his number retired.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

You're usually a good poster but this nonsense has to stop. If someone critcizes Pennington's arm then that means they automatically think anyone with a good arm is great?

7. Italian Seafood

No, but they can come up with a better criticism than "noodle arm". I won't put my money on Chad in the skills comp in March in Hawaii either, but it has nothing to do with how good a QB he is. I don't mean you, by the way, just what I see here overall.

I do think you're a bit nuts for wanting to bench him so quickly. If you listen to the players and coaches talk, you realize how valuable he is to running the offense on the field. I don't see how we're better off with a rookie learning on the job while we're trying to stay in the hunt. When Chad does have a bad game we have no shot, is pretty much all I'm saying. I think you need continuity and experience at the position unless you're totally out of it and in complete rebuilding mode, which we aren't.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

This is where I'm coming from with it. Whether or not the Jets make the playoffs this season is not going to have any long term impact on the future of the franchise. What Clemens does or isn't able to do when he's given his shot will. With the inconsistency Chad has shown this year and the fact that the Jets have no shot to make any noise in the AFC even if they do sneak in the playoffs(I'm sure you and others will disagree with this) I think it makes sense to see what we have in Clemens as soon as possible.

9. Italian Seafood

The thing is, there are a ton of other young players on the team, rookies, etc, that will benefit from making the playoffs and/or playing in big games late in the year. It would benefit us for all those guys to get a taste of it this year. To do that we need Chad playing. If Clemens is that good, he'll get his turn, like Philip Rivers did. You no longer have to be bad for three years to get good, those days are over. There's more to guys learning in big spots than a QB, to give up on this year would deprive them of that chance. And I don't see where Chad is holding us back if we did have a team good enough to get there.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How do we know that we wouldn't have scored? If we win the FP battle maybe Chi turns it over, that's how they played it and they capitalized on our mistakes. We gace them 3 free points in a very low scoring game. 3 points felt like 10 points and 10 points felt like we were down 20.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I think you and I pretty much agree on Chad but I part with you on this. I'm not sure Clemens coming in now will be productive for him or for the staff in terms of evaluating what we have in him. He may be much better off getting the job after the season and go into TC as the starter, get the reps, get the entire O worked in during TC and pre-season? If Chad ends up getting on a little run against some of the weaker teams and the D continues to improve, we might make noise in the playoffs? There is a lot about Chad I don't like and frankly I don't believe he can do it, but on the other hand I don't see how giving the ball to Clemens right now helps Clemens and I do think it would hurt the psyche of the team. Whether you believe in Chad or not, he won the job outright, the team is still in the hunt and he deserves a chance to sink or swim. I believe in the coaching staff's call on this one and always have. I consistently kill Pennington when he sucks but recognize that he is still our best option right now.

One thing I strongly agree with the pro Chad crowd with is the overall play of NFL QB's is rather bad after the "Elite" group. There is no point in making a move away from Chad until Clemens has shown the coaching staff enough to convince them he has substantial upside over Chad. I agree with you Chad hasn't been all that good, I disagree with you that Clemens needs to be seen right now.

12. 3rdAnd15Draw

Hard to argue with alot of this. If the Jets were in the NFC I'd be with you about the potential noise in the playoffs but I don't see them getting it done in the AFC. If the CS thinks that Pennington gives the Jets the best chance to win I'll certainly give them the benefit of the doubt but after watching some of the stinkers he puts up I have a hard time remaining convinced of that.

Even after the dropoff from "elite" level I think there is a definite pecking order among the "mediocre" QBs. After watching Chad I'm convinced that he's not the type of guy that can pull a Roethlisberger in the playoffs last year, putting up 3 monster games in a row and lead his team to victory against playoff caliber competition. I guess it's not fair to the rest of the team to "give up" by putting the rookie in there(even though I don't see it that way).

13. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I find it a little funny how people mention how bad Houston's Pass D is, fine...

But if Chad had a game like Cleveland, it'd be "He couldn't even beat the Texans!!"

I understand it fully, it's just funny seeing it. Chad and the Jets did what they had to do, win convincingly. He's got to keep it up.

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i think someone may have mentioned this, but I'll reiterate it.

i agree with you that even if we somehow sneak into the Playoffs, we're not going anywhere because Chad can't (a) win big games against elite Defenses (primarily in the Playoffs) and (b) come from behind using a dangerous passing attack.

having said that, with young players on the team, the Playoffs are great for them because they get a taste of the ultimate goal, and they get big game experience, which obviously, is something you cannot teach. so when we're ready to make a serious run (in which Chad probably won't be the QB), those players will have been there before and won't look like deer caught in headlights.

just because Chad played well vs. Houston, doesn't change my opinion of him (i mean, he almost threw another costly redzone pick, luckily dropped). we don't know which Chad will show up next week -- if that's not instability at QB, then I'm not sure what it is. however, among Chad, Clemens and Ramsey, Chad is probably the best option right now, and if he manages us into the Playoffs, that's better for the long-term of this team.

cheers

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

when chad threw 3 really good passes, i did the same thing.:lol:

if only he was not so inconsistent. how can you beat the texans but lose to the browns?:sad:

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I guess being 2-2 in the playoffs with three of the four games on the road means you can't win in the playoffs. I guess crushing the Colts and golden boy Manning in 2002 didn't count and neither did beating the Chargers on the road in 2004 - the first Jet playoff win on the road in 22 years.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They both suck. We should have beaten them both.

Pennington had a good game. He was not dominant by any stretch. He threw 2 passes that probably should have been picked off but lucked out. One was his very first pass of the game. Supporters or detractors, I'm sure there were a lot of people that thought "oh crap...here we go again..".

He got it together then almost threw a pick on the goal line. That, if my memory serves me, was right after (or before) he threw a 3rd and goal pass to LJ (?) on the 5 with 3 defenders around him. 2 bad decisions in the red zone that almost cost us points.

From then on CP had a good game. His floaters were mostly point, and when they were not he got help from the receivers. He helped carry the offense by calling a good game and minimizing his mistakes. He was the ex-lax for an offense that featured a constipated running game. He played the way you would expect him too against a team like the Texans.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

How about that tackle Nugent made, too!

By far, his best game as a Jet.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

How did the Texans beat the Jags? How did the Bears lose to the Dolphins? How did the Pats lose to the Jets? Any team can win or lose on Sunday, no matter who your QB is.

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

it seems you and a bunch of people do this: refer to things that happened 2-4 years ago.

in my post, i was talking about right now, this year, this year's Playoffs, 2006, Chad's current play. from what i've of his game this year, he has shown nothing to make me believe he will beat an elite Defense in THIS YEAR'S Playoffs.

cheers