Wow - Nugent has a leg, Pennington an Arm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

What's the point in useless speculation? Not to mention that Grossman was nowhere near as bad as Chad, he didn't turn the ball over twice deep in the opponents territory.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He had -1 passing yds in the 1st half w/ a gorund game that was killing the Jets. He was as bad or worse than Chad.

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

He didn't throw all that much and his WR's dropped at least 2 longish passes right in their hands in the first half. The Jets didn't lose because the team "took unnecessary chances" they lost because their QB couldn't hold onto the ball, which Grossman did. Obviously Grossman didn't play well but Chad was clearly worse.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They lost b/c they took chances, we shut down Chi in the 1st half but agve them a free 3 pts in a game that was going to be very low scoring. Chad amde the bad decision on the first INT but if we didn't run twice to set up a near impossible 3rd and G from the 5 then maybe we would have ahd a better chance? Maybe Chad changed the play to runs and still deserves criticism- i don't know.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

why were debating last week boggles me. grossman played way better than chad. grossman had TONS of perfect passes dropped, and he didnt make the same costly mistakes chad did. chad sucked last week. point in case.

onto this week, he was shaky in the first half. but came out great the second half. but those willing to give him no credit are more accurate than those pointing to this game as proof his doubters are wrong.

we ran like 10 times because the texans pass d is the worst in the league. they had the faith in penny to pick em apart and he did.

i love penny but now all i need is to see consistency. lets see how he does in green bay.

and as far as nugent goes.........thats the kicker I saw at OSU winning games with his leg as I cheered against him. hopefully hes coming into his own now as a pro and can stop kicking the ball to the 20 on KO's.

6. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The Jets didn't lose because the Jets scored zero points. If you can't score you can't win. You keep harping on the OSK as if it was the determining factor. Sorry but the Jets went down the field right after the three points only to have Pennington throw the second INT. Also, why is third and goal from the five near impossible? Have they never scored from that situation before?

7. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Because it's not the methodical, genius-like, conservative play calling of Herm Edwards and his 3rd 10+ draw plays. The OSK is the only thing he can pin on the coach, so that HAD to be the turning point of the day. The INTs had nothing to do with the loss. In fact, I will say that it's possible the INTs were a direct result of the OSK.

Anyway, back to this week. Nugent finally makes a 50+ yarder and suddenly he's the second coming of christ. Only took him 35+ games, including the preseason.

Chad beat up on a terrible passing D yesterday. He's capable of that, and nobody can deny that. He's a slightly better than average QB. If you can't put up 300 yards on one of the worst Ds in the league, then something is clearly amiss.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take a win any day over anyone, but no need for a ticker-tape parade just yet.

8. blevins

blevins New Member

WinstonBiggs: You rate us much too high

No one - even the most ardent JETS fan - thought of us as a top 10 NFL team at the beginning of the season. It is because of Chad, not despite him, that some are starting to agree with you. All that other talent you see on the JETS is a mirage. Until the last couple of games our defense was awful, our running backs are perhaps still the worse in all the NFL, and our receivers are average as a group (Cotch is better than expected and Coles is good but a small target without blazing speed). There are a lot of teams with much more talent without winning records. Chad has played well in all but 3 games: Nobody on our team showed up at JAX, Cleveland was a disappointment (still could of won with a better call on that pass), and he played poorly losing to the BEARS (seems most every QB does). In at least 3 of the wins he (and his receivers) were the entire JET offense. I'm not sure what NFL QB you think would have given us more than 6 wins but other than Brady or P. Manning there are none in this league I can think of that I'd trust more to have this team at 6-5: Big Ben, E. Manning, Vick, Farve, Kitna, McNabb, Palmer, Brees, Carr, Plummer? - No way! Many of these aren't at 6-5 with talent better than the JETS.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The Jets are a product of a weak schedule. Period. It amazes me how Chad throws for 280 against the Texans or Bills and everyone makes is seem like he is so great. Yet he dissapears against the good teams year in and year out when it counts.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ionno about that........I think our recievers(at least coles/cotch) are the most underrated unit on this team and one of the most underrated units in football.

Penny is definitely keeping us afloat, but to say hes the sole reason for our success is insane. I dont know how many plays have been made after the catch in this offense. The best part and best play penny will ever make, will always be before the snap via reading the D and audibles. For that he should be greatly commended.

we need better run blocking, but the defense is finally coming together under the elevated play of robertson, and if that continues, what will be holding us back is inconsistency under center unless penny can actually throw more td's than INT's come this seasons end. the debate is based simply upon whether or not you think Penny is a legit long term answer, someone capable of winning big games.

#30 Coach K, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

The reason people will start to think of us as a top 10 team (though I do not know why they would, we clearly are about 15-17 in my mind at least), is because the team as a whole has gotten better. The defense is really improving over the last 3 weeks, our WR are much better than anyone gave credit at season start, the OL has over achieved for most of the year, and our coaching staff has been very creative. So while Chad has show flashes of being good/great, he's certainly had a slide in his performance that has attributed to some of our losses. While I am sure we would have been worse without Chad, I don't think you put all the credit on his shoulders for where we are.

12. Jets Babe

Jets Babe New Member

i think that chad and nuge having great games like they did yesterday is a huge confidence boost for both of them. you dont know how thrilled i was when chad got back up, and when nuge nailed that kick.:jets:

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Ha! When Nuge hit the 54 yarder, I checked the TV channel to make sure I was watching a NY Jet game. :beer:

14. billybob

billybob New Member

Don't forget Grossman had 3 INT's and a fumble, without that NE does not win. So Brady's ability to throw downfield was not the key factor in NE's victory.

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This is a load of crap. Statistics and rankings in football mean nothing. Just look at David Carr's final numbers yesterday and then tell me if he played anything close to a good game. It's about how you run the game and make decisions.

You still want to hang on to the Bears game because it supports your "argument", if anything that game showed how completely lost this team is without Pennington playing at his usual high level.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

They mean nothing? When a team is 3-8 and is 29th in the league in passing yards allowed that's about as bad as you can get. When a team has 7 ints on the year and 4 came in 1 game that's about as bad as you can get.

I know you're always on this whole anti stats kick(and I agree they mean less in football then they do in baseball) but to say these numbers don't indicate a completely inept pass defense for the Texans is absurd.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He had 3 INT and a fumble because they were behind all game. We never put the Bears in a position to have to throw the ball.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm not saying the Texans are a good pass D, but these rankings and stats are really crap. How much yardage did their O pile up at the end of the game because we let them do it to run time? Every game breaks differently, I just can't get wrapped up in all that.

Did Pennington put the long passes right on the money in tight coverage? Looked to me like he did, regardless of how many yards Houston gave up in previous games.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Its gonna be a long quiet week this week

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

No, they're not really crap. Obviously if you just blindly look at stats and try to rank teams that way you're not going to be a very informed fan. In the Texans 8 losses this year their margin of defeat is almost 14 points. 1 of their wins was by 2 points over the Dolphins, while another was by 3 over the Jags. In their 20 point win over the Jags earlier in the year Leftwich threw for 125 yards.

So please, tell me how these ranking and stats for the Texans pass defense are crap. As I said, being 29th in the league in passing yards given up when you're usually down big fairly early is damning enough by itself. The fact that they're 32nd in the league in passing YPA just cements the fact that they are the worst of the worst.