Wow - Nugent has a leg, Pennington an Arm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

So TGGs favorite whipping boys, Nugent and Pennington lead the Jets to a win today. Nugent nailed 4 FGs including a 54 yarder and got many of his kickoffs deep. Pennington was on target on a day when the running game averaged 1 yard per carry. Will wonders never cease?

2. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Nugent was extremely impressive. i only closed one eye this time. Pennington on the other hand...was average at best, starting with the 1st pass of the game.

3. amsingh

amsingh New Member

115.6 is an average passer rating. I agree.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Yeah, completing over 75% of your passes for almost 300 yards and no turnovers is average. This is especially true when the running game gains 1 yard per carry with a long run of 4 yards and when the game is wrapped up in the 4th quarter, so the 286 yards came in three quarters. With some of you there is no way for Pennington to win.

5. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

If that game was "average" then two thirds of the quarterbacks in the NFL were putrid yesterday. Let's start with Vick, Eli Manning, Delhomme and Grossman.

7. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

:rofl: :up:

8. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I admit to being a Nugent basher. But as I said in the game thread, I take everything back. I am wrong. The young man is money. We have ourselves a kicker!

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I was losing confidence in Nugent's leg. I love his accuracy, but he never showed he had a big leg. As an Ohio State fan, and the owner of a Buckeyes Nugent shirt, I love his success.

As for Pennington, he was mediocre early in the game, but he was great after that.

10. good_ol_gil

good_ol_gil Active Member

Pennington was great in the 2nd half. He's a true rhythym quarterback and when he gets in his rhythym he's better than most.

EDIT: Nugent always had a great leg at OSU. It started to become scary with how many 50 yard FGs he was hitting consecutively. Kickoffs always went into the end zone. It's hard to believe that the K ball could reverse all of that--I'm glad to see that it apparently hasn't.

11. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I thought Pennington had a pretty good game. I don't see how that changes anything though. Oh well, just another day at TGG.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

13. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

BG: See look at that! I told you that ya could do it MATE!"
    MN: "Yehhhh. yehhhhh i rockkk

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Half the QB's were putrid yesterday as is the case almost every week in the NFL. The QB play as a hole in the NFL is pretty bad and that's why a guy like Pennington can even play in this league. By the way NE had 85 rushing yards and averaged 2.5 yards a rush against the Bears. Brady didn't have a particularly good game but he put 17 points on the board because he was able to consistently throw down field something Pennington just can't do against the better Defensive teams even though he has much bettter WR's. The Jets had over 100 yards and averaged 3.9 YPC against the same Bears team and scored zero points.

As much as I think Pennington is limited, he is the best QB on our team and we have a good enough team against this schedule to make a run. The difference between most of the anti-Chad and pro-Chad crowd is how good he is and how far he can take us? The other factor is there is a considerable difference between the pro Chad crowd and the anti Chad crowd on how good the Jets as a team are. If you really look around the league we are one of the better teams in the league and no one should be surprised that we have a winning record. People forget that this team has talent and was a perenial playoff contender capable of putting up 9 to 10 wins with a healthy Chad Pennington as our QB. There is no reason to think we can't do that with this team especially since we are clearly better coached, with deffrence to Junc, Buttle and Rasen who think otherwise.

#14 winstonbiggs, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Penny is limited in what he can do , but without a solid run game he is still managing to get the job done , but in a different manner to that of other intelligent QBs like Brady ,like Manning. I don't think hes second to anyone on these short dink and dunk routes.
    When Curtis was fit Penny was able to stretch the field , and its painfully obvious to good Ds that all they have to do is shut down the run and make him play his game , the result rests on how good the D is in taking advantage. Yesterday they didn't.
    IF we do somehow manage to make it to the POs we will stand as good a chance as anyone. It seems this year more than most, that everyone seems to be able to beat anyone.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Houston's defense is 29th in the league in passing yards, 32nd in YPA, 25th in passing TD's allowed and 27th in interceptions. Just sayin.

Luckily for Chad and his supporters the Packers are almost as bad, ranking 24th, 29th, 26th and 24th in those categories. If he can put up games like this against Buffalo and especially Miami then we might have something to talk about.

#16 3rdAnd15Draw, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We take that into account when he plays well but ignore that Chi is the best D in the league when he plays poorly?

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Who's ignoring it? Were we just supposed to write that game off as a loss because it was against the best D in the league?

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Maybe if we don't kick an OSK to start the 2nd half things end up differently? Instead we gave them 3 free points. Grossman played as bad as Chad last week but his team didn't take uneccessary chances and they won. All QBs have bad games from time to time- we ignre all the good Chad has done this year to focus on 1 game. W/o Chad we have 2 maybe 3 wins this year.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Based on the fact that he is better than Ramsey and the rook? The Jets with a top 10 NFL QB this year are 7 and 3.