Jerricho Cotchery

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

A little of topic with all the offseason talk but I figured I’d post my thoughts on whom I think was one of the most underrated Jets players ever. A few hours ago A highlight video of Cotchery popped up on YouTube and it reminded me of what a great player he was fornthe jets. Hard worker, selfless and made huge plays. I know he had a drop in production in 2010 but in my opinion a very stupid move by Tannenbaum was cutting Cotch and signing the likes of Plaxico and Derick Mason in 2011. Cotchery was the kind of player Sanchez needed and the team needed. Just my thoughts on a slow news day what’s everyone else think?

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I loved watching Cotchery play and by all accounts, he was a classy team first player. Too bad we got rid of him after the 2010 season.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I liked Cotchery and since we're going with underrated players , I'll throw out another reciever that never got the respect he deserved , Wayne Chrebet.
    Would have loved to see him stay healthy and have a longer career.

Br4d and blackssmagic like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yeah - I liked them both. Chrebet and Cotchery.

Jets shouldn't have gone after the likes of Burress and Mason. I still think breaking the bank for Santonio Holmes was a terrible idea. Braylon Edwards and Cotchery tandem was already working in full sync when Holmes tagged along.

And Chrebet - well.

If Pennington could stay healthy with Chrebet and Cotchery. Yeah. The early part of 2000's could have been a real fun time.

Only if.

NCJetsfan, westiedog1, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I was so pissed when we let him go. Still had plenty left in the tank. He had that really good season in Pittsburgh, he had like 10 tds

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Those guys were good in a supporting role but Coles was the man.

FJF likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cotchery was a really solid player. He understood what needed to get done and got it done most of the time. The thing I remember the most about him is the work on the sidelines with the tiptoe catches in locations where it was his ball or nobodies because Chad's accuracy was just that good.

I was pissed also when the Jets let him go. He was a big part of the heart of the team even though he was not a star. He did the hard work that let flashier players thrive opposite him. It says a lot that the Steelers let Holmes go cheaply and then picked up Cotchery for quality depth a year later. The Jets got stuck on the other side of that staggered series of events.

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. A 3rd round draft choice who became a solid player and a real professional on and off the field. One of the Jets dumber moves in a long line of dumb moves.

NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  9. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Great player. He requested the jets release after he saw the writing on the wall. 50 million to santonio, then signing plaxico. Jericho saw what a train wreck it was going to become. Glad he had some success after leaving us. He deserved it

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Cotchery studied the game. He didn't have the breakout speed of his peers, but he had technique. Cotchery ran the routes to a T. He used his body to shield the ball from defenders. His pillow-like hands, decidedly un-Becht-like, came from excellent form, typically, two-hands whenever possible and a firm grip on the ball. While not catchy, that was Cotchery: remarkably reliable. On a championship caliber team, Cotchery would have been their "Tim Duncan" of receivers.

If I had to pick a Jets player that looks like him, it would be Enunwa. He has more size than Cotchery. But, coming into the league as a tight end, he seems to have a dedication to fundamentals -- clean routes, using his body, and two-hands. Certainly, Enunwa's had his share of drops, but all things considered (including the complete rebuild of the WR unit), Enunwa can fill that reliable role in the Jets O.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ditching Cotchery for Derrick Mason was the beginning of the end for the Rex-era Jets.

FJF likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Nothing against Chrebet, but he certainly wasn't underrated (except of course by Keyshawn). The dude was adored and totally hyped by fans and commentators, sold a billion jerseys that you still see in the stadium today. Even had a freakin breakfast cereal.

13. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Cotchery was my favorite player when he was in the green and white.

He asked for his release when Plaxico and Mason were brougth in. So let's see the stats after our 2010 season (his last with the Jets):

Cotchery 5 seasons, 166 catches, 2,109 yards,16 TDs, and 2 catches for 17 yards in Super Bowl 50
    Plax: 2 Seasons, 48 catches, 654 yards, 9 TDs
    Mason: 2 Seasons, 19 catches, 170 yards, 0 TDs

Santonio: 4 Seasons, 102 catches, 1,449 yards, 10 TDs, a Miami Meltdown and a willing turnover vs. San Fran

He outperformed all of them, even Plax and Mason combined.

Good move Tanny.......

FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. ThatQueensGuy13

ThatQueensGuy13 New Member

one of the best set of hands iv seen

15. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

The best safety valve receiver the Jets and Sanchez had, dumping him and Edwards for a concentration on Santonio Holmes is what ruined Sanchez and the offense. Idiot Rex actually thought Derek Mason way past his prime could still do it and he was done.
    This move combined with the non stop Defensive 1st round busts on defense is what gave us the last 6-7 years of inept football.
    Who remembers Rex continually playing Kyle Wilson.

NCJetsfan and LarryAlRalph like this.
  16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Jim Leonhard. I don't think he was the greatest athlete but he was very smart and a true quarterback of the defense. He kept everyone organized and didn't miss anything. I'm convinced him being out due to a broken leg is the reason we lost against Pittsburgh.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Remember it? I still have nightmares about it :eek:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How not to be underrated.

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He was undrafted, and then unsigned.
    Was actually a walk on with the Jets.
    And once he made the team, he was 11th out of 11 receivers on the teams depth chart. He never received much media attention, was very much under the radar for what he could do on Sundays.
    That's why I said he was underrated.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

My feeling is he thought he was disrespected by the CS? Cotch thought signing Braylon and Holmes was a sign he'd always be playing in the slot or altogether second string. IMO, he was probably right. He was a good kid who always left it out on the field.

So all in all I'd say the most underrated and underappreciated. It's too bad.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.