Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

But it does not support your argument at all.

All games before Jimmy G averaged 17 points per games. The 5 games before the change averaged 14.8 points per game. With Jimmy G the 9ers averaged 28.8 points per games. You can say he did not change much, but it sure as hell looks like he did and the teams offensive results support that.

oh and don't worry about sounding anyway in a post, I've been married twice you cant possibly offend me on here lol

Red Menace and zace like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Sorry was i the middle of doing something and i kinda just sent something since the notification interrupted me.

Anywho i disagree.

For example. In the Seahawks loss early. They actually went down for a field goal and had the lead. The hawks scored a TD at the end to beat them.

They were up by 6.

Against the Rams, they actually mounted a comeback against a top seeded team. Dont think Jimmy necessarily changes that outcome.

Against Arizona, they went into ot, got the FG and the Cards scored a TD.

Its things like this that really back up what i said. Its not like they were completely hapless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Another good point.

I just can't see too many reasons to NOT prefer Cousins to all the alternatives. It's not like we're in position to grab a top QB in the draft. We have to hope one falls (and I'm not counting Josh Allen). Mayfield is intriguing, he's far from a sure thing. And really, who IS a sure thing? At least with Cousins we know what we are getting: a top 10-15 guy that has already proven he can play on the professional level at a high level. He'll make the team more attractive to FAs (we have a ton of money), you don't have to worry about HIS development and he will help the development of others.

Such a no brainer to me. And that's why it won't happen, because we are the Jets, and we either do the dumb thing (trade up, draft Allen) or the good things never happen for us.

Red Menace, nicg4360 and Big Cat like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they weren't completely hapless. They were close but their quarterbacks sucked so they were losing games. That's the story of almost every losing team in the NFL including our Jets!! Once they got a good QB in Garappolo, he gave them enough to start winning the games that they were losing closely.

This shows more than anything else how important the QB position is and how Garappolo was worth it for the Niners.

--

Personally I think the 49ers killed it. Garappolo's deal is actually pretty team friendly. Its backloaded so its almost just a 2 year deal. They have a ton of cap room to add talent, a high draft pick, a good coach and a good, already groomed QB to build around that they got for a measly 2nd round pick. They will be contenders in the next few years and I wish our Jets could trade places with them so badly

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no chance that the bidding war for Kirk will be anywhere near $20M when Mike Glennon got $15M APY last offseason.

A guy with 3 straight 4,000 yard seasons vs a backup.

6. BroadwayAaron

This makes no sense to me.

Minus the "good coach" part, this would kinda be the Jets if they landed Cousins which you're staunchly against for some reason. Also I think you meant Jimmy's deal is frontloaded which you'd assume the Jets would do with Cousins as well.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im not saying Jimmy G is bad at all. Im just saying im not sold on him being that great. I honestly just dont know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. BroadwayAaron

It also would kind of make no sense for the Vikings to toss big money at Cousins when they have in-house business to take care of and a QB that just took them to the NFC championship game. They have about $60 million total to spend... why dole out $27 million-ish to Cousins if you can bring back Keenum or Bradford for probably much less and still build upon an already good team?

The Jets make the most sense of every suitor available, for both Cousins and the team.

FJF likes this.
  9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think that if the Jets really want him they can get Cousins, but it might be at a price where it’s just not worth it

Hell it might be too much as it stands now

I’m kind of in the take it or leave it camp when it comes to Cousins....I think he’s a good QB and will have us competitive for sure. I just don’t want us to be the next Ravens with Flacco but with even more money invested in a solid QB

The best scenario for our future is to hit on a franchise QB in the draft and load up in free agency on good players at other positions in their prime...the problem is that it’s a much riskier choice for obvious reasons.

Idk there are plenty of teams in the NFL with QBs as good or better than Cousins...so with us making him probably the highest paid player, where is our advantage coming from to differentiate us from the pack? I just don’t see it unless we hit in the draft on a bunch of players

So do we want to get the solid 7-8 team with Cousins or do we wanna go for the possible 9-10 with a decent chance at a 4-5 team overall?

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have no problems if Cousins ends up with Flacco type numbers, in particular the playoffs.

In playoffs he's 10-5 and has won a SB, do I want Joe Montana type numbers? Yes, but those type of guys are difficult to come by.

I also believe jets would make an effort to provide their FQB with as much talent as possible.

To the bolded.......Dilly, Dilly!!

11. Big Cat

Does Flacco really have 15 playoff starts already? Wow

12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Haven't chimed in on Cousins yet so I figured this was as good a place as any. I bashed trying to get him a couple years ago but like the Redskins FO he has made me look silly. I live an hour from DC and half an hour from the Redskins practice facility so I have a little insight considering most of my family and friends are die hard Redskins fans.

About why they didn't retain him. The bad blood between the organization and Cousins has been brewing for years. They (Snyder mostly) wanted badly for RGIII to be the media darling and the face of the franchise. Cousins was Shanahan's darling but an after thought in the FO. He would have taken a much better deal early but for whatever reason the FO wasn't buying in (literally) and a lot of fans believe they wanted Cousins to fail so they didn't look like idiots...didn't work. The fans HATE Snyder and even more so Bruce Allen, the way they handled the Scot McCloughan situation was atrocious and further alienated the fan base.

Why Skins fans love him. The numbers speak for themselves but that's only half the story. His work ethic and passion for the game is Brady-esque. That's coming from some of the die hards I know. My best friend is the biggest fan I know and he said he will buy a Cousins jersey wherever he signs and make that his second team (as long as it's not in the division). He is as hard working and dedicated as they come and as some have mentioned tough as nails. He has never been injury prone and has ZERO character concerns. He is a god fearing family man and his leadership is evident both on and off the field.

Why the decline last year. First of all they lost Sean McVay which would be a major blow to any team which becomes more evident based on what he did with the Rams as well as Kyle Shanahan. That's only half the story. Last off season the Redskins sent packing BOTH of Cousins leading WRs. They brought in Pryor (major disappointment) and expected Crowder to take on a larger role (showed how important Jackson and Garcon were to his stats). Not only that Reed played only a couple games here and there, only enough to mess with his consistency with V. Davis.

Fact is he is the best QB statistically and health/leadership wise we would have had in a long time. If Bates believes he is the guy he wants to win with and the system fits (which it should, Shanahan's influence) then I am all in. Give this guy a new center, draft a couple OL and pick up weapon as a WR or TE and I am confident he won't disappoint.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Only 56% completion rate but I do understand competition is better, still he has been to the promised land.

14. BroadwayAaron

Flacco winning a ring and being a perennial playoff starter (perennial maybe is an overstatement but still) only tells me even more that the Jets need to go all-in on Cousins with the 6th pick, two second rounders and $70 mil to also work with.

15. Big Cat

The AFC is a very bad conference currently. The Jets can be instantly relevant with Cousins at QB and a decent job with these resources by Mac.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Draft Baker Mayfield after only using 50-60M in free agency getting pieces we need around our new franchise QB of course.

preferably a O-Line over haul!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I still think he can be special with this team as long as we give him some freedom to do his thing.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The million dollar question is will we have the right system in place for the QB we acquire whether it's Cousins or a draft pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for this analysis. This is probably the best presentation for the pro-Cousins position I've seen. My problem with Cousins is that despite the numbers he's put up, team performance doesn't match. To contrast with RGIII, as you mentioned, he took a 5-11 team and turned into a 10-6 team and a playoff berth as a rookie. So comparing two QBs on the same team, one had a significant impact and the other had a mediocre impact. Continuing mediocrity is not what I want for the Jets. Yes, Cousins may get the Jets into the playoffs consistently, but winning a SB requires going deep in the playoffs and I don't see a lot of evidence he can carry a team to those heights. I prefer the Jets, continue on their path of rebuilding by drafting a promising QB with potential to lead this franchise for the next 15 years. Of course there is no guarantee this will be successful, but for me, it is the right approach, and I am perfectly willing to live with the consequences of failure knowing that at least they tried. All that said, if the Jets decide to go this route of signing Cousins, of course I will support him and hope he has the greatest of success.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Good post...the issue to me isn’t about Cousins being a good fit or good player, but it’s strictly a financial issue vs. drafting a QB (with a much cheaper vet)

I’ll be happy that we won’t have to worry about QB but he’s going to get a record setting contract...this will make it difficult for us to keep good players we draft as well as just signing top free agents...maybe not this season but in the future for sure

So it’s almost like now we settled the QB position but at what cost? There’s no doubt that the optimal way is drafting the franchise QB and loading up a great team around him but of course it’s a huge risk

I see both sides and could get behind either decision, but right now I’m hoping someone like Denver signs Cousins. If we get him atleast we have a good shot to get in the tournament (playoffs) and take our chances from there

ColoradoContrails likes this.