Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The good news is that if Cimini predicts it, its probbaly not going to happen!

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Which draft prospect do you want? The only one I really like is Darnold, and I don't think he'll be available. If he falls to 3 I'd trade up for him, but I'm not going to bank on him being there.

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

See this is where his like you mess up. You feign knowledge about things and lack context. Jimmy G didn't walk thru the doors and dance them. Like i said earlier. They 5 of their losses before him, were by 3 points or less. 2 of their wins after, were by 3 points or less. So they werent some talentless bunch of fools. Not to mention, their defense is what lost some of those games for them.

See heres how its similar to fitzpatrick. The jets handed him a contract he didnt deserve yet. It wasnt sustained success. Theres no guarantee teams wont figure out Jimmy. There wasnt film on him.... There will be now. Time will tell if he deserves that contract. I dont think he does, and i think it was more of a symptom of they had to or risk losing him more than just they think hes the guy. The 49ers are not gonna publicly come out and say that tho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I like rosen much more than darnold, but i like him as well. I dont think we could be faulted for wanting either. How often are the jets gonna get this opportunity? Our problem is we suck but arent shitty enough to get the number one pick, but never good enough to truly compete consistently. Let changed that while we can and the talent is there.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Look at the stats. Padding stats doesn't mean you don't throw ints. He has 13 ints, of his 13, 5 came in the 4th quarter. That team isnt that bad nor does he lack talent. For 27 plus mil, you better overcome those things. Since youre a disgruntled lions fan, would you take him over Matt?

6. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

And change the team name to NY Jests.

7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Bank on it not happening.

If he doesn't get Cousins, who I think is ours if the Jets like him, he has to draft a QB in the 1st.

#1007 LF911SC, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Those extra 3 TDS you predict for Jimmy are a clear indication of him being better than Cousins. Add it to him being all of 3 years younger, it's huge how much better Jimmy is. :rolleyes:

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

That ridic contract demands that teh Jets draft a QB Round One. No Cousins

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case, Jetblue, then why the hell would you want to sign him? If nobody feels he's an elite QB, then where the fuck does that get you? 10-6 at very best? The job is NEVER about going 10-6 and making the playoffs just to lose in the 1st round. The job is ALWAYS winning the SB, ANYTHING short of that is considered failure. I don't want the guy that makes us mediocre.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

First of all, the highest paid player in the NFL is always the most recently paid starting QB. We should have no hesitations to give the Jimmy G deal to Cousins.

2nd, were going to have $100M in cap space. There’s legitimately no way to spend all of that. What’s the harm in front loading a huge deal for Cousins and sacrificing some of our absurd cap space the next 2 years? We’ll still have plenty left over. Besides, it’s been proven that you can’t build a roster by throwing money at free agents. You can transform a team by getting the right QB, however. I would sign Kirk and conserve all the draft picks to keep building.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’ve stated this previously, but it isn’t an elite QB or nothing proposition. There are very few elite QB’s; what you need is a very good QB at the least.

Remind me, what QB just won the Super Bowl? What other QB beat Brady twice in the Super Bowl? Russel Wilson certainly wasn’t elite in their Super Bowl season.

Sure, a few elite QB’s have monopolized the majority of Super Bowls for the past 20 years, but that is a testament to the greatness of those specific QB’s in conjunction with the strength of the organizations, but they don’t reflect that only elite QB’s can win. What it means is organizations have failed to build teams better than them that overcomes the greatness of historically elite QB’s like Brady.

Peyton Manning in his prime at his best could barely beat Brady and needed a flukey huge 20 point comeback in 07 to actually do so. Roethlisberger needed someone else to beat the Pats to get to his Super Bowls. If Peyton Manning and Roethlisberger couldn’t beat Brady and Pats, that reflects the fact that Brady and the Pats are abnormally and historically great, which skews the results, and that having an elite QB isn’t really the only solution to the equation.

But for as elite as guys like Brees and Rodgers are, how many titles do they have? Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco have as many as each, and Eli Manning has as many as both. And that isn’t even accounting for guys like Luck, Ryan, Rivers, Newton. And take out Brady and what do you have? Sure, the following QB’s lost the Super Bowl but they did make it: Rex Grossman and Jake Delhomne.

Yes, if you luck into an elite QB praise the football Gods, but the idea that it’s the only reasonable course to success is ludicrous. And you aren’t going to retain many draft picks or lure competent free agents if you tell them your goal is to lose until you find an elite QB in the draft, so please come waste your career here with us until we do so.

Very good QB’s don’t automatically sink you into being a non-championship caliber team. It’s absolute ludicrous to argue it’s an absolute one or the other.

#1012 JetBlue, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the contract details are in. hopefully some of you, “signing cousins will put us in cap hell” guys will realize how incorrect you are. but probably not ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ets-48-7-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Look at you with your logic and reasoning. There’s no place for that here!

Doesn’t matter how plainly you put it or how clearly you spell it out, there are some people that just flat out don’t want to understand how the contracts actually work nowadays with quarterbacks. It’s much easier to bitch and complain.

15. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Give Kirk 3 years/90 million fully guaranteed. We can afford it and still go out and get some big name free agents. If he ends up not panning out, we aren't stuck with him forever. This guy could be the best QB in Jets history. I know its not saying much, but we could compete this year with Kirk at QB. Get the man some o-linemen and draft a RB in round 2 and our offense is set. Our WR group is vastly underrated.

Our D is fast and fun and will only get better. Bring back Claiborne and perhaps draft Fitzpatrick at 6, or sign Butler and just draft BPA. Whoever that may be.

I like the 2018 Jets A LOT if we have Kirk at QB. I'm so afraid that Rosen/Darnold/Allen is just another Sanchez.

JetsNation06 and FJF like this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If you guarantee $90 million you can probably get a 5-6 year deal. Why only settle for three?

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

True. Add on 2 more years that aren't guaranteed. I'm fine with that.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Exactly. Non-guaranteed years at the end of a contract essentially function as a team option. If Kirk is playing well, the Jets keep him on a salary that will be a bargain compared to the market 4 years from now. If he flops, he’s cut for no additional hit.

A 3 year contract gives the player flexibility that benefits him more than the team.

FJF likes this.
  19. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We have 100+ Mil in cap space why not try a top 10 QB for 2-3 years? We would have 70 mil to repair and replace some compnents of the team for him and us as well I just feel like it needs to happen

20. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

almbleamal likes this.