Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Cousins is a lot better than Sanchez. I wasn't trying to compare them as players. I merely brought up Sanchez, well Sanchez's contract anyway, because some people seem to think a big QB contract never hurts a team. When we clearly know first hand here that it can[/QUOTE]

No doubt that it can hurt a team financially for years in some cases, I agree. However I believe I've read a few comments on here that if Cousins doesn't pan out then we can cut ties without too much long term cap damage. I'm not certain though so maybe I'm wrong here.

I guess I just look at this thing a little differently. I believe this is the Jets best chance to get a high level QB in his prime who's already proven. I don't want them to miss that opportunity because it comes along so rarely. $30M is the going rate these days and I'm ok with it if they firmly believe he's their franchise guy. I think he's got the talent to be that guy.

#961 JetsNation06, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah but he's the GOAT, got give him 30 plus mil. Besides his wife has nothing to do with his salary. Hed rather win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that is not true HOTJ. If Sanchez was cheap they could've afforded some excellent players around him like they did when they went to the AFC title game twice

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You really... REALLY need to utilize google.

WRs in 2012: Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Schillens (Holmes got hurt 4 games in, I'm guessing that's on Sanchez?)
    WRs in 2013: Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Nelson

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont think i really need you to approve of my qb opinions, i think the fact that you think cousins is good enough to be a franchise qb says all i need to know about your opinion.

Go actually look at him play. Washington fans cant wait to get rid of the guy. He will not bring this team success. He didnt bring Washington successes. I hear people saying poor cousins, didnt have a good cast yada yada... Isnt that why you pay a qb 30 mil? Otherwise whats the point?

That team struggles were more a symptom of qb than just injuries.

His stats say and have always said, great stat padder, terrible in crunch time. More likely to throw an backbreaking int than game winning TD.

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It broke this team for years. Thats part of the reason we are where we are now. Bad contracts to marginal talent

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Pretending the Sanchez contract "broke this team for years" is embarrassing.

Holmes, Scott, Harris, Cromartie contracts all "broke" this team far more than Sanchez did. Revis holding us hostage was more of a factor.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It is true. Sanchez's cap numbers:

2009: 2.5M
    2010: 8.9M
    2011: 17.2M
    2012: 7.9M
    2013: 12.9M

Not including his first season, he cost the Jets 46.9M total, or 11.725M per year, which isn't that expensive. If he was cheaper, say 5M per year, the Jets would have had an extra 6.725M per year to spend. You aren't getting any excellent players for 6.725M per year. You're getting one good receiver or one good lineman. We still would have sucked.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Washington fans want to get rid of Snyder. He's the real problem there and many of their fans knew Cousins didn't want to be in DC anyway. Regardless, I guess we agree to disagree on him.

10. HomeoftheJets

Regardless of his motivations, NE is still paying him whatever he wants. Cousins isn't Brady, but neither is anyone we'd be drafting.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

By giving him that contract they made him the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. The coach and front office are now married to Jimmy G and will sink or swim with him. They felt strongly enough about him to trade a high second rounder and obviously felt even better about him once he got there. He may not have cousins track record over several seasons but he’s undefeated in 7 starts and has looked very good doing it.

Comparing this to the fitz situation is silly. Fitz was always a bridge QB, where as the 9ers are betting the farm on this guy long term. The two are so far apart in talent it’s not even worth going over. The jets gave him mid to low tier starter money. Really brain dead example.

This also avoids the exact fiasco that the skins ended up with in Cousins. Sure this contract sets the bar for QBs now but once some others get this next deals this will be seen as average to slightly above good average starter money. If it works out it will be seen as a great move, if not everyone involved will be looking for new jobs. Exactly the type of big move we never seem to make.

12. BroadwayAaron

The extension didn't kick in until 2012, which is what Nagle is [wrongly] talking about.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

Even better then. So he averaged 10.4M per year after his extension. Which means the Jets would only have 5.4M extra per year to spend. Yet somehow Sanchez's contract hamstrung the team...

14. BroadwayAaron

Yea I mean, I dunno what lens you're looking through if you think an extension that OPENED cap space in one of its two years hamstrung a team.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Youre embarrassing. Pretending you know so much when you have no clue.

Sanchez's contract absolute broke this team. That was money tied up in a qb that was not worth it. Money they could have used to invest in other areas when they could have moved on from him. That team had no offensive talent once holmes, edwards and others left.

His contract was 15 mil a year with 20 mil in guarantees. Qbs werent getting the same theyre getting now. It was a lot at the time. He was one of the highest paid qbs at the time. And it was only done cuz he was butthurt about the jets wanting manning.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hes a once in a generational talent. You dont find it often regardless. However, youll be back in this same situation in less that 5 years with cousins. Theres no guarantee the qbs at that time will be better than this drafts qbs.

17. BroadwayAaron

Oh you're the "teams stacked the box against the run because they didn't have to respect Cousins" guy right? Yea, nevermind, not worth trying to have a discussion with you.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No its exactly the same as fitz. A qb with obvious flaws l bwing crowned as the franchise savior by fans.

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im still waiting for you to prove he overcame any adversity. But you havent because you're delusional. Thats exactly what teams did.

20. BroadwayAaron

Right on man!