Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

If the Jets draft a quality QB and invest their salary cap $ on the o-line he might change his tune. IMHO RB is the most replaceable position on the field. Is Bell great? Absolutely, can you pick up a guy off the streets for 50% of his production for 1/15th the cost? Probably..,.,

2. seanofthedead

Brady’s wife was the Breadwinner for a long time. He doesn’t need the $$$. When she divorces him because it comes out he was Hernadez’s bitch, he’s going to have to sue his wife for support....

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

brady is making 22 mil for 2018, they have 14 mil cap room. they could pay brady 8 mil more to raise it to 30mil and still be the same team that just made the superbowl.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Have to go on record here.

Cousins is probably looking at 32m+ / year with the Jets. As they say in Shark Tank, I’m out.

Also listened to Theisman on NFL radio and he was saying Cousins is a great system QB who can succeed with the right players around him.

This does not describe the Jets.

We need to go find our QB in April.

5. seanofthedead

What could the Jets spend $32 million on besides QB just on the O side of the ball? A legit WR 1 and a top 5 OL? If we draft a QB round 1 what would that contract look like? Anyone have an idea? I was assuming with a 5th year option we’d be looking at 60-70 mil. My dream is Bridgewater on a Prove it 2 year deal, draft a QB and focus on O-Line and grab a WR1 in FA. Also, I’m shitfaced drunk at an office retirement party so I may come across as such. Sorry..... LOL

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Patriots carried over $3.5M from last year's cap to this one.

Players on last year's team with cap figure that are free agents this year:

Nate Solder, LT, $11.16M
    Malcolm Butler, CB, $3.9M
    Rex Burkhead, RB, $3.15M
    Danny Amendola, WR, $3.12M
    Cameron Fleming, RT, $1.8M
    Dion Lewis, RB, $1.48M

A bunch of other guys that add up to $6.5M

It isn't the same team at the same cost. If you added in the starters who were here last year the cap is $24M+ higher. If you add in everybody it is $30M+ higher.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This was easy to predict, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Cousins gets more. Unfortunately, the last four players who were the highest paid players in the league were Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, and Matthew Stafford. Those four players have a combined record of 61-59 since they signed those contracts, with exactly one team playoff appearance lasting two games. That's not exactly an endorsement of signing quarterbacks with questions to massive contracts.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Garoppolo got paid like an elite QB because he lived up to the hype of a potential elite QB and the 49ers couldn’t risk letting him go.

Nobody thinks Cousins is an elite QB. He’s a good QB, and worth having on any team that needs a QB, but there is a huge chasm between the view of Garapollo and why he was able to command what he did and Cousins.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We're kidding ourselves if we didn't think Cousins was getting 30M a year. It's gonna take 5yr 150M to sign him, which given the state of our roster isn't horrible. Nobody on this team deserves a mega contract. Williams will be resigned, he won't be too expensive. Adams has 4 years on his rookie deal, including his option. Tell me, who are we signing that will fill our cap space? The Giants build their 2016 defense with 50M... We're gonna have nearly 100M after we cut Wilk, Forte, and probably Skrine.

10. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

So, this Jimmy G. guy, which draft was he in where he was the top 3 pick. EVERYONE on this board knows, YOU CAN'T GET FQB....FFFFF-QQQQ-BBBB's TIMES xxxxXXXxxxx 100000000000000 UNLESS YOU HAVE A TOP PICK. WHY DID WE PASS ON THIS GUY!?!!!!! Mac suxss! woody is cheap! bowls calls the offense!

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  11. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Yeah, it was Rodgers' cap number that blinded Bostick from fielding that onside kick a few years ago.

Manning's and Brees' high cap numbers caused their respective safeties to horribly misplay a deep ball and completely whiff on a tackle.

As for Jimmy G, he's got the talent, but they don't even know if he handle the punishment for a full season. Me thinks not.

BacktoQueens, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

As much I have said I don't want Kirk Cousins, I will be fine with the Jets signing him if that's who they are completely sold on being the quarterback to build a championship team around. Whatever the Jets as an organization decide is the best plan do to address qb, they must go all in to execute it. No pussyfooting. Be bold and get your qb in free agency without trading away any draft picks. Or if they want to draft a quarterback, then be bold and fill as many holes as possible in free agency, then go get a quarterback in the draft. Just Go For It.

13. NYJFOREVER

Couldn't agree anymore with this statement. The Jets never all in anything, they always half-ass it. If we're gonna trade up to get Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield, then we better be dropping the big bucks on our O-Line and WR group. This off season can turn this team into a perennial playoff contender, but knowing the Jets they will screw it up and will continue to be mediocre.

FJF likes this.
  14. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I will take a long walk off a short pier if the jets give this shit heel 30 mil a year.

15. NYJFOREVER

Start walking. Jets are favorites to land Cousins. Only 2 teams can actually pay the man what he wants and still build their team, and he ain't going to Cleveland.

dawinner127, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Bingo! It’s really not a great free agency class outside of Cousins. Who are the Jets going to sign that’s going to make the same impact that Vernon, Harrison, Jenkins, and JPP made for the NYG?

Is there anybody on this roster you really would lose sleep over losing? No

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I have been going back and forth on this but if we did sign Cousins this would be my "yeah keep dreaming" off-season. Still probably leaning toward drafting and developing one of the young QBs though. But this would be the track to a playoff team:

• Cut Mo, Forte, Ijalana, Devin Smith, josh Martin, Petty, Roberts and Peake to name a few....
    • Resign ASJ, Demario, Claiborne, Ealy
    • 2nd Round FA Tender on Enunwa
    • Ask Skrine to take a pay cut and bring him back at $3 million, not $6 million
    • Sign Ryan Jensen
    • Sign Malcolm Butler
    • Sign Tavon Austin on a 1 year prove it deal if released.
    • Sign Z. Ansah
    • Trade out of 6 to 15 with the Cards for there 2,3 this year and a pick next year
    • Use 1st round pick on LT (Williams or Brown)
    • Draft Michel, Mason Rudolph, and a an interior OL in 2nd Round
    • Use the rest of the draft for depth at CB, pass rusher, and DT
    Boom. Championship

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

I'd love to get Chubb at 6 and sign Demarcus Lawrence if he hits FA. Would give us two good pass rushers. I'm cool with Williams as well

19. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Ugh Chubb at 6 and signing Cousins for 30 mil a year sounds like the typical Jets disaster..I don't get some of you guys...let's also sign Tavon Austin. lol

zace likes this.
  20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The less teams willing to give him what he wants the less likely he is to actually get it. Who are the Jets bidding against that they can’t simply tell him they’d rather see who talks to them in the draft if he wants too much?

NYJFOREVER likes this.