Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Who cares????.... get it done...what future are you protecting ??? Two years of 5-11 with Toilet Bowles Mac and the Johnstons???? Now there's a real Hot Garbage combo

2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Last night during halftime of Titans Chiefs Mike Florio reported that several GM’s think the QB class this year isn’t as good as last year. Trubisky, Mahomes are better than Rosen and Darnold. I tend to agree and think this will become a growing theme.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Notice how winning teams end up with FQB wherever they pick yet the same teams are always at the top drafting and missing

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

The riskiest based on what? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The fourth picked QB could be the best of them all.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

good I hope teams dont select those QBs and they drop

6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Watson is gonna be a stud , but I see nothing great about trubisky so far

7. Good thing this is the furthest thing from a mediocre QB class.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No stable QB since 2006 and Chad often-injured by that point, makes any stable option under 30 look good to the fan base. The problem as you point out is that Cousins is just a stable QB option. He's not going to take the team to a Super Bowl unless he gets a lot of talent layered in around him, and by a lot I mean at least a #1 WR, a strong running presence that stays healthy and an upgraded OL. That's a 2 year build at least and Cousins will be 31 at the end of it.

The great QB's skew our perception of QB longevity and at this point it is not clear that Cousins is in that class. He could just as easily be one of the guys who keeps a job until 35 because he's better than a replacement level QB but not good enough to win with absent an outstanding roster.

Drew Brees looks like a good comparison, however Brees was 2 years younger when he arrived at the Saints and he played indoors in a dome on a fast field with away games at TB, Carolina and Atlanta (another dome) each season.

All of that said, I would much rather sign Cousins than trade for Alex Smith. Smith is Neil O'Donnell all over again and as much as 1-15 and the #1 in 2019 might help the Jets talent base the fan base can't handle more cluster fucks at this point.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And because of that fact, if Macc is picking there, I think he DOESN'T take a QB. He's risk-averse. He'll take BPA. most likely "D" at that point, and all the "experts" here will cheer. Meanwhile, if he even does take a QB later - even with his next pick - that QB won't have the "mandate" to get playing time the way a #1 pick would, so we can look forward to another year of Bowles starting McCown, while the QB who needs development withers on the bench.

PulseJet likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

That's what they SHOULD do, that's not necessarily what Macc will do, and I have doubt he will.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The "safe" pick at 6 will be the best QB remaining, unless like 4 guys go in the top 5 picks. Taking a defensive player, even an acknowledged BPA, on the 6 would open the Jets up to widespread criticism - mostly along the lines of "what has taking a defensive BPA at 6 done for you so far?"

Walt White likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Because he will cost a TON, and tie up a huge amount of cap space whether he succeeds here or not, and it's not guaranteed he'll succeed. He probably will do okay at least, but he may not be good enough to win a SB and that's what the Jets need to be shooting for.

Looking at it another way, draft picks lost only hurt you in that year, or at most the next year, but a multi-year contract hurts you for years if it doesn't work out. How many people honestly thought that Revis would decline so rapidly when he was signed, but the Jets are STILL paying for him.

I'm not saying they shouldn't try to sign Cousins, but A) I think he signs with a more attractive team; B) The contract should have an "out" clause after 2 or 3 years. When all is said and done, I prefer they trade up as high as they can and get the best QB prospect available.

13. ColoradoContrails

It will take more and longer to build the kind of defense that you could "ride to a ring" than building an offense that can take you there. The Jets tried that wit Rex, and did get close, but they short-changed the "O" too much in the process. Moreover, the NFL has rigged the game to reward offense, and retard defense. The know what sells. How many people watched Ok vs. Georgia and thought that was boring? I'm not saying defense isn't important, but it's been given too high a priority by the Jets for years, and has held them back.

14. ColoradoContrails

It didn't make him blink at taking TWO Safeties when he knew (or damn well should have!) that he had dregs for QBs on his roster as he passed over two QBs who are arguably better than anyone coming out this year.

I think Macc believes he's a "smart guy", and has his own way of viewing things. So far he hasn't proven that to anyone but himself, but I don't think he's going to do what the fans or media say he should do, unless it's a coincidence.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Fair. Of course if he does that and misses the duration of not winning will go longer. Giving up draft picks will slow down the infusion of quality youth. You said yourself you thought the possibility of Darnold "pulling a Sanchez" was possible.

If Mac deems a guy or two as Blue Chip guys he'll prolly try. He's not gonna just trade picks for the sake of doing it. This class may not have a Blue Chip guy in it. We'll learn more as time goes on.

He was lambasted last year for not taking Lynch on the day of the draft like it was an obvious move. Elway tried and will try again and it's okay tho. Now Elway is still looking. Maybe Elway signs Cousins going back to a winning formula and opens the door a little more for us to draft a guy.

Mac is gonna be very conscious of value looking into the future. He's shown that. It's not a no brainer by any means to trade up. Hopefully he grabs a guy early, whoever it is. If it's a trade it could be an exciting thing for everyone.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Taking two safeties panned out pretty well. Maye has a fantastic season and Adams has all the skill in the world to be a top safety. What would you have rather we done? And Watson is not an option because no one was taking him over Adams. No one.

The only thing I’d say is going with Cook over Maye but again, Maye was great this season so it’s hard to have any regret there.

17. ColoradoContrails

Well said!

The MAJORITY of championships are won by teams with a great QB. SOMETIMES an above average QB wins if surrounded with a great team - great in ALL other areas - but this is a minority occurrence. Look at the Pats: Except for Brady - and their CS - they aren't much better than average in their other areas, but with him they're championship level every year. Of course you're not going to find a Brady every year, or even every 10 years, but you CAN find a SB-caliber QB if you keep trying. The Jets have taken the "safe" approach, believing they could avoid this reality by relying on a "shut down D" and a mediocre "O", but it hasn't worked and isn't likely to. The thing is that I don't think Macc is a risk taker, and the SOJ approach of "D First" suits him because he doesn't have to stake his name on taking a QB first. I hope I'm wrong, but until proven otherwise that's my belief.

18. ColoradoContrails

I would've passed on Adams and taken Mahomes, and taken Maye as he did with the 2nd pick.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Many coaches including Bill Parcells (and clearly Todd Bowles) do not trust rookie QBs to lead their teams. While BP did draft Bledsoe and Pennington in round one I am not sure Bowles cares to do the same. Fitz and McNown each had career years after coming here in free agency. I could see us going all in on one of the big free agent QBs or riding another bargain basement QB (McNown?) rather than use our first rounder on a QB (much less trade up for one).

I just hope that our front office goes all out (in free agency or the draft) for the right guy when he is available instead of wasting resources and settling for someone they see as a bigger risk.

20. ColoradoContrails

Parcells was a great coach, but that doesn't mean he was perfect, and he made plenty of mistakes. If that "philosophy" you attribute to him is true, it overlooks the fact that all great QBs began as rookies. I could see the benefit maybe if you're coaching a team that is playoff-ready in all other areas - trusting a rookie to win you the SB is a big risk, assuming you have a better veteran option. But do you think the Jets are on the verge of going to the SB this year, and a rookie QB would hold them back?

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.