Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

kaepernick didn't get a ring. he lost in the superbowl. he didn't play bad that game though but overall in the playoffs he didn't play well.

2. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Correct, Sir. Ironically, he lost to Flacco.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You listed 2 winning QB’s — exceptions do not make the rule. The rule still indicates you need a great QB, and history shows you don’t get great QB knowing he will be great. Even with the number 1 pick you take a risk that he may bust.

But to take the conservative approach that you propose to attempt to completely avoid any potential failure means you prevent yourself from finding a great QB. And if you are conceding you do not want to a great QB and are content solely with good QB’s who have proven their ability, and limitations, then you are absolutely conceding to the mediocrity history reveals you will achieve with that QB. Hoping to simply be another exception doesn’t negate the reality of what is most likely to happen.

Beyond that your own criteria has an inherent inconsistency — you don’t want to trade picks because the QB you draft isn’t a guaranteed success, but keeping the picks and drafting non-QB’s also isn’t a guaranteed success. If a guarantee of ability is so important to you the draft picks themselves shouldn’t hold much importance to you since you can’t guarabtee any drafted players success. If the drafted player is an unknown, better to use it on a position with the most importance in the game. I could understand if you are advocating trading draft picks for established players who are proven to be good, rather than wasting them on drafted players with no guarantee to be good, but you aren’t doing so.

As I mentioned, what would be a better use of picks? Trading multiple picks and landing a Carson Wentz, or keeping them and adding Vernon Gholston, Blair Thomas and Kyle Brady to a signed Kirk Cousins?

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

5. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Correct, meant to say rode them to a Super Bowl.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It comes down to how Mac views the top guys, say Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson. Whether he wants to gamble on any of them remains to be seen. If he sees the worth in one or two, or een more, then he has to try. The field is deep. But is it as good at the top like say Goff/Wentz or some other drafts. That remains to be seen also, not sure if it is.

Mac's gotta get them a QB any way you slice tho. Not sure if just improving the team without a draft pick or FA, even greatly, is good enough. But it's possible it could go on another year I guess.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Here is a thought.

What if we trade down from number six and pick up an extra first rounder for next year?

That way we can use both first rounders next year to move up for the right QB and still have lots of other picks in both drafts.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

some astute folks wanted this to happen LAST year and in hindsight would have been good. Not taking the QB last year should have triggered this idea but i guess the GM is smarter than everyone else.

i have no idea if next years class is deep at QB. the jets should have that info at their fingertips already.

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

FlaJet likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Everything is risky and perilous...but that's the waters GMs are paid to sail

He has a 67 % chance historically of finding a draft QB that sticks..and say 30 p/c chance he is not so good like P Lynch

This present QB class has tons of upside in my opinion..better overal than last year..just stay away from the obvious traps like Jackson and Cousins and we win here

So at the end of the day I would feel confident as GM if I know my guy to be the best QB out there and go get him

12. James Hasty

The Browns could also take their pick at QB in the draft and hope some team (maybe us) is dumb enough to trade up to #4 for whatever is still left at that point.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You have the numbers backwards, probably 30-33% chance of a decent 1st round QB and about 67-70% a bad pick on a 1st round QB. But just keep posting the same numbers you have been for weeks.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yeah I just can't see it going another way ultimately. He's been a very good QB for them for 3 straight seasons and he still likely has a lot of good years left. What else can they do? He makes them a contender whereas anyone else would likely be a drop off

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that Skrine should definitely be gone. He's almost as awful in the slot as he is on the outside. I'd rather keep Claiborne. I'd be surprised if Butler would sign with the Jets, and I don't think Johnson or any other CB is worth $16 million a season. I don't know a lot of the young FA CBs, but Mac and the Jets' personnel dept. should. There should be a youngish FA CB who is just as good a slot corner as Skrine is, and someone who would be an upgrade over Roberts, Burris, et al. Then if they re-sign Claiborne and add an edge rusher in the draft, the pass defense should be a lot better.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Great post. Spot on!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

There may be no topflight QB prospect next year. Then what? AFAIK, there certainly won't be one who has been very good for 3-4 years. At best, he'd have two good years or a one-year flash in the pan. No thanks.

18. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Looks like the Chiefs might be done with Alex. At some point you have to submit to the truth that Competent QB don’t grow on trees. So while Alex isn’t the sexiest choice it might be the most realistic option. Try to get him and draft a QB?

19. James Hasty

The beauty of having two first round pick next year is that we could use one of them to get an additional pick in the following draft as well.

Going all in on a mediocre QB is a good way to keep the playoff drought going.

20. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

And what do you think the price will be to move up from 6 to 1?