Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Quarterbacks of Cousins caliber almost never become available. He's not elite, but he can give you 5 years of top 12 play which is pretty damn good. If the Jets had that prior to now they would have been much more successful over that period.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grkmanga31 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well you're also assuming that each QB in the draft is being considered a franchise QB. Odds are one of Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield flops on the pro level. Odds are only one of them is available when we pick and even if we trade up there's no guarantee who will be there. Did anyone think Trubisky would be gone after two picks last year? You can't predict the draft especially with so many QBs and QB needy teams.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but we know how dumb the Browns' ownership is. If the Jets could hire Dorsey, I would have reason to have hope for the team again. They should have grabbed him this season.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

More successful isn't what the Jets should be after. Their goal should be winning the Lombardi Trophy. They need to draft and develop a young QB for sustainable, long-term success. Not signing a 30 year-old QB to a huge contract and hoping he stays healthy, effective, and they can luck into a SB victory. It doesn't matter than QBs of Cousin's caliber rarely are available in FA. The Jets finally have a real opportunity to get a young FQB prospect, and they had damn well better do it.

NYJetsO12, Greensleeves, abc and 2 others like this.
  5. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

If some team signs him for huge coin, long term, I wouldn't be surprised
    if it turned into another Brock Osweiler type situation.

6. abc

abc Well-Known Member

We're just as bad as the skins... so you want to give a guy 30million a year for maybe 2 more wins... 7-9 will get us no where as well... no thanks.

#126 abc, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. Of course they could flop.But as of right now they have the upside to be franchise QBs & that’s what we’re looking for.Just cause there’s risk doesn’t make it prohibitive.

Don’t act as if Cousins doesn’t have risk either.Beyond the “good not great” argument what if he just doesn’t work out here?NYC is not for everyone & QBs tend be fickle in terms of where they have success.

Cousins cap figure in the event of failure sets the team back much more significantly then a few draft picks thrown in on a trade up will. And then we’ll have to wait yet again for the right spot to make a move in a draft not yet bestowed..

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Drafting a QB is both ideal, and yet, loaded with peril.

This will really be a big boy game Mac is going to play.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes, that is one way you could look at it. Cousins would not have made the 2017 Jets a playoff team, but probably would have gotten them to (8-8) or (7-9). Hopefully the team would build around him and make him successful. A healthy Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, would have gotten the Jets into the playoffs. I believe that. There is only one of him though. Fans are ridiculous to expect that from Cousins, or any of the rookie QB's. If it happens, great, but you have to build a team to win.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I don't think you can win a SB with Cousins at QB. He can't win big games no matter who the surrounding cast is.

NYJetsO12, abc and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Exactly... but you don't start that by paying a player who's not Great and won't get you over the hump 30million a yr.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This!

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Kirk Cousins or Case Keenum isn't good enough for us we should have thought of that before we went out and won five games this year.

NYJetsO12 and PulseJet like this.
  14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Two wrongs don’t make a right

jonnyd likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think the Jets could've made the playoffs w/ Cousins at the helm.

Bucs
    Falcons
    Chargers
    Dolphins

We had bad QB play those games late, I mean what Cousins did at Seattle was awesome ...That's 9 wins ...

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The thing I can't get past with Cousins is that Washington clearly has little interest in bringing him back. The Redskins are a team equipped with a young offensive coach and, sans RG3 in his rookie year, haven't tasted what its like to have a franchise QB in fucking forever. I don't care how incompetent you think the Redskins are, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to having an idea about how good Cousins is. The fact that they don't think he will be worth the money he wants is a major problem for me. The fact that they are declining to keep a "top 10-12 QB" (a designation I have seen written quite a bit pertaining to Cousins on this message board) is . . . concerning.

Additionally, I can't get last year's Giants game out of my head. They had a chance to make the playoffs in their last game of the season. They got the ball back late in the 4th quarter and they needed a touchdown against a team that had nothing to play for . . . Cousins couldn't get them in the endzone. That bothered me a lot when I saw it and it still does. I know that its a sample size of one game, but it just made him look so ordinary.

I just don't think giving Cousins 30M per year for the next 5-7 years is the right way to go. Putting too many eggs in a potentially mediocre basket. I'd still rather draft my own guy.

Lastly, I have seen a lot of people comparing the current Cousins situation in Washington to the Brees situation in SD from 2005. This comparison is quite unconvincing when you actually consider the details. Two things people seem to forget about the Brees ordeal: 1) SD had Phillip Rivers waiting to take over, who they were extremely high on, 2) Brees was coming off of a torn labrum that he suffered in the last game of the 2005 season.

The injury in particular was likely the deciding factor, since it caused SD to offer Brees an incentive-based contract that he eventually turned down in favor of more guaranteed money from New Orleans.

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets had a pass rush, a dominant OL, a shut down corner, some decent weapons at RB and WR... sure go get Cousins. He is the last piece needed to make a SB run. But the Jets dont have those things. So Cousins will read the writing on the wall and take less to play for the Broncos or even the Bills.

18. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Cardinals make sense, they will let cousins hand pick a coach and probably hand pick a wr in round 1

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think so too. I’m just worried if that happens Denver let’s someone jump us and drafts our QB

PulseJet likes this.
  20. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I dont want any of these free agents. Bring back ClaIborne, Davis, ASJ, and maybe sign a veteran Center and another veteran CB (not any of the top guys)