300 Home Games

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Did he break up any fights? :mad:

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Another Shea memory that still lasts as an inside joke between my younger brother and I:

Around 1980 the Mets added a small auxiliary scrolling message scoreboard beyond the Mets bullpen. During Jets games it always displayed typos, and to this day my brother and I say "Cardnials and Falcones" instead of Cardinals and Falcons. My wife would ask me why do you pronounce it "Card-Nee-Als??" Shea is the reason why. The other ridiculous thing they'd post on that scoreboard thing was "Hot Toddy" whenever Richard Todd hit a Jets receiver instead of an opposing defensive back.

twown likes this.
  3. jetophile

Oh, man, it's a black hole. A centrifugal force. A whirlpool of raw sewage. But it's our sewage. One thing I have always said about Jets fans, those of us who started out young and stuck with the team no matter how much they tortured us, there's something to be said for that. We never jumped ship. I had zero respect for other kids when I was growing up who switched loyalties just because a team was winning. See how I look down my nose at you, you peasants. At least I'm the Queen of Shit and Mediocrity.

sec314, playtowinthegame and Peebag like this.
  4. jetophile

Yeah, it was a Snoopy/Red Baron thing. I think the Cheats paid for that innocent bystander's funeral and also his brother's medical bills. Don't know if Guttman did anything. Undisclosed settlement for sure, but it was probably peanuts. No Snoopy pun intended.

5. jetophile

Back to OP, the Jets chant. There used to be a guy in a green John Riggins fro wig who would take his shirt off and stay bare-chested the entire game in freezing cold December weather. He would get it going as to both sides of the Stadium going back and forth. I'm fairly sure that's when it started, but good call on the going back and forth thing (the two end zones). I mentioned it waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the past here. If anyone ever thought Fireman Ed started any of it, WRONG!

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who remembers a mid 70's game when the halftime show was a bunch of these things?

Must have been a very low-paying job booking halftime "talent."

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What about the plane that used to prowl the NYJ sidelines? :mad:

8. championjets69

OMG a rookie rookies. A fan still in diapers ha ha :mad:

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

10. jetophile

Baby diapers or adult diapers? It's a fine line. :mad:

11. LogeSection2RowJ

Sorry I missed the Alpine Horn halftime, sponsored by Ricola, no doubt! Are you sure you're not thinking about the Heidi game? ;) (I know, I know, that was in Oakland)

12. championjets69

To me Dierking is a real youngie so I will go with the baby size in his case. In your case I think adult size would so better :mad:

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He will be punished for his sins.

14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

What exactly happened with that flying lawnmower? I heard it got the guy in the jugular. Nightmarish.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

In Champs' eyes we are all still being pushed around in a stroller.

16. LogeSection2RowJ

The halftime show was a show of remote control airplanes by some local radio-control airplane club. It was a poor decision, although I do not know if they had ever had that performed previously at Shea without issues. What happened is that something interfered with the radio signals, so the operators were losing their radio connections to control the planes. Prior to the crash, previous flights seemingly flied recklessly. I remember one of them coming pretty close to the big scoreboard and the crowd cheered. When the converted lawnmower flew, it ended up nosediving into the seats. So, I don't know about hitting a jugular, but I can attest that a lawnmower nosedived into people. Two men were seriously injured, one died. I saw it happen from a distance in the Loge section.

I believe it was an actual lawnmower with wings added, though I am not certain of that. It sure looked to be the size of a real lawnmower. They had to drive an ambulance across the field, and it delayed the second half kick-off. I wonder how they reported it on the telecast - if it was televised. That year might have been the first one without home black-outs, so it may or may not have been televised, if you can believe it.

17. championjets69

Yep cause U all have zero sense of realty when it comes to the NYJs IMHO sorry to say :mad:

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That must be it, if everyone doesn't share the same view as Champ, then it must be the wrong view. That must mean that Curley Johnson kicked 3 FGs in SB3 even though most of us think that it was Jim Turner.

19. championjets69

So I erred on the Turner. I am sure in your day if U are a adult U also have erred from time to time. What I mean look at the board & count them & let me know which one you think a adult started naming them also :mad:

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Insane. Wow.

To me it's almost like, when this idea was being pitched where was the voice of reason declaring that there are a lot of things that could go wrong here? For all the Jet idiocy over the years I have a hard time believing Hess would sign off on this