Which QB should the Jets draft in 2018

Discussion in 'Draft' started by dmw, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Trusting The Genius Bowles? Wtf does that have to do with me? I never said that. That's second time now you've put words in my mouth regarding Bowles.
    The point is it's comical that you want to mock him when you really don't understand how little you know about football compared to him, and you have to try and make up reasons why you think you might have a clue compared to him.
    It's beyond your imagination how much more Bowles knows about football, coaching, and QB's than you. It's a staggering difference.

As far as Petty goes, I'll say that Petty will never in the NFL have McCown's gamesmanship of running an O at the line of scrimmage, will never be able to understand and be able to deal with an opposing NFL D like McCown, will never have McCown's elusiveness and running ability, and he will never have McCowns leadership qualities.
    One thing is most likely: he isn't in the same hemisphere at this point, and believe it or not Morton and Bolwes would actually know that, contrary to what some fans think from their couch.

And it's not about some elusive QB whisperer that some fans think is out there that would prove them right with their notion that they think they know better than Bowles. Mind you I'd love to be wrong and still hold out hope for Petty and Hack even. But we're gonna all get to see this off season how they really feel.

#61 Walt White, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well you seem to think he's infallible, and couldn't possibly be wrong, so I inferred that you think he's a "genius".

Pardon me. I didn't realize that somebody has to prove that they know more than a HC or professional to offer an opinion about how well they're doing their job. What are your credentials in that regard? As far as I understand it, fans are allowed to criticize or applaud the coaches, players, FO, and any part of the teams they root for. If you don't like my opinions, fine, ignore them.

No, I don't have to make up reasons, I'm simply trying to offer support for my opinions.

That's good considering how much money he's being paid. But for all his knowledge, he's not infallible, and I don't need to possess all that knowledge to see that.

I don't know how you can say that. If Petty plays for 15 years, he might well accomplish or surpass all of those measures. I'm sure someone said the same thing about McCown along the way.

We aren't going to come close to agreeing on this, but I don't see where you possess the knowledge or expertise that would prompt me to just accept your POV.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I could care less about that. You asked and I told you. Like I'm forcing it on you now, smfh.
    I wasn't gonna bother but I did anyway to prove to you that you putting words in my mouth as to what my opinion was, how I formed it, and to also try and change the narrative, is horseshit and obvious. The beautiful part is I don't rely on click bait articles, or other posters, to form my opinion, like you.

But that's not the point. It's obvious to me that you're reaching way out there about Petty and trying really hard to come up with a reason to prove you think you know better than Bowles, from your couch, with stuff that is irrelevant to the case at hand, like that would substantiate it.

I haven't said once I thought Bowles was beyond reproach ever on this board, and that's all you keep saying. It's ridiculous dude. Go back and take sides with some of the other posters, like a child, and stop including me in that lmao.
    It's about your lame reasons for trying to prove a fucking thing about him and that your'e obviously clueless about him.

#63 Walt White, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Well Petty and Hackenberg do not seem to workout well. And that McCown is just a short term answer. But please not Baker Mayfield. Great player but a Johnny Football Jr off it.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No he is not. One incident doesn't make a bad character. Manziel had a slew of incidents. There's no comparing the two.

Jersey Joe 67 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Agreed, Johnny Manziel was/is a severe alcoholic, Mayfield made an obscene gesture because the opposing team disrespected him, mature? No, a reason to say he is the next Johnny Manziel? Absolutely not, kind of a ridiculous accusation to be honest.

Walt White likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 Million

You are a gentleman and a scholar my friend ...

There is NO POINT taking on Junk Yard Dogs like WW and 101

They bully and intimidate with big hostility when your point of view is contrary

This POS has referred to me as "Fucktard" "Worst Poster on this Board" and "Simpleton"..Here he refers to you as a "child" in his condescending and nasty manner...Kid is probably on Probation , has no job but to attack folks on an internet football board...too bad he can't use the Grad Degree he got from PFF in the real world...lmao

For 4 years I've posted here and NO ONE shows this kind of disrespect over disagreements

I've reported this behavior to our Mods and I am putting him on "IGNORE"

#67 NYJetsO12, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 100000

Absolutely correct

Please guys take a look at the population (players) who comprise our NFL..many have arrest records DUis and domestic incidents over NUMEROUS occasions

For example look at our ASJ and his DUIs or our former Jet $heldon Richardson who had a child in his car and was going 100 MPH

For stuff they do ( in which lay people get locked up for several years) they are REWARDED with millions of dollars

Sickening

Mayfield has some offield incidents and got offended about a handshake after a game

Nothing a little counseling cant fix

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

What about throwing at the opposing team players head as they jogged onto the field? What about his arrest for drunk and disorderly, resisting arrest?

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not saying these make him as bad as Manziel, but they're troubling flags.

But let's also not overlook that while he's very good, he has some shortcomings. He's on the small side, and his mechanics aren't all that great, nor does he have an arm like Mahomes, so there's no guarantee he succeeds in the pros, and by "succeeds", I mean reach FQB level. He might, but he might well not. Add this to his "mistakes" and I'd be surprised if Macc takes him.

11. NCJetsfan

To be fair, Mayfield was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest, fleeing and one other charge, but paid the fines, has done or will do community service, and has been extremely remorseful about it. He also planted an Oklahoma flag on the Ohio State turf, but that's more immaturity and competitive nature than bad character.

I think any investigation into him will reveal that his character is fine. He just needs to grow up a little. There's no doubting his talent, leadership and competiveness. I think he'd be perfect for the Jets.

12. NCJetsfan

Few NFL QBs have arms like Mahomes, and neither do Rosen, Arnold, Jackson or Stidham. I think Mayfield's arm is better than Darnold's, and may be better than Rosen's. What's wrong with his mechanics? I haven't seen that much of him, but for his accuracy to be as good as it is, his mechanics either can't be as bad as you claim, or he's like Mahomes in that he can be extremely accurate even though his mechanics are wonky.

Here are his college stats:

Passing

• * indicates bowl stats included
    Passing
    Year
    School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
    Texas Tech Big 12 QB 8 218 340 64.1 2315 6.8 6.3 12 9 127.7
    *2015 Oklahoma Big 12 JR QB 13 269 395 68.1 3700 9.4 10.4 36 7 173.3
    *2016 Oklahoma Big 12 JR QB 13 254 358 70.9 3965 11.1 12.3 40 8 196.4
    2017 Oklahoma Big 12 SR QB 13 262 369 71.0 4340 11.8 13.4 41 5 203.8

Career
    Overall 1003 1462 68.6 14320 9.8 10.7 129 29 176.0

Texas Tech 218 340 64.1 2315 6.8 6.3 12 9 127.7
    Oklahoma 785 1122 70.0 12005 10.7 12.0 117 20 190.7

His completion percentage has improved each year, his TD to interception ratio is out of this world, and his QB rating has been excellent. He's 6'1", which is shorter than ideal, but I think his other characteristics make up for his lack of height.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And it’s not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I’ve got a feeling that Mayfield dramatically moved himself up the board, such that he’ll be the second QB overall taken. The Jets will be in an interesting spot (7-10 range) and, again, top-5 talent could fall to them. Regardless of whether Mayfield is, in fact, top-5, he won’t be around when the Jets pick.

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Maybe, but there's going to be some teams that will be weary of his character concerns. Ultimately, I'm not very concerned with some of his character issues because I think some of them have been a result of opposition trash talk.

Depending on how we finish, Jets may be top 10, or within top 15 and I would think that Mayfield should theoretically still be there. I would also hope Maccagnan would move up a few spots if he really wanted to draft Mayfield and we weren't in position to.

Also, we have 4 games left, 3 away, 1 at home. Don't think we have any cake walk games on the schedule so finishing 5-11 or 6-10 is entirely possible. We may still be drafting in the 7-10 range.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I have a feeling mayfield is going to drop like a rock or is being overrated and will be exposed in the playoffs as benefiting from playing weak defenses
    Flame away boys

legler82 likes this.
  17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

That certainly may come to pass! It's just December, and we're a long way away from the draft. It may be that Mayfield is a fraud, and that the playoffs will expose him as such. We'll see what happens -- should be a fun watch!

Edit: Now he's definitely going to fall on Draft boards:

A deal is a deal: Will Baker Mayfield get to be a backup dancer for Justin Timberlake? http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwlqmgiDc

#77 NoodleArm, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what QB is drafted also. Rosen is probably the most NFL ready of this year's prospects.
    Unless Petty or Hack show something, not likely given lack of prep and games remaining, I'd expect McCown to return. Probably on a 2 year deal with year 2 being an option. Maybe $15 Million guaranteed . I know I will hear, Bowles will start him no matter what, but I think if the rookie or Petty/Hack out performed him, they would start.
    I also think McCown would be more than willing to mentor the rookie and unlike Fitz, do everything he could to help them .

19. TonyFtLaud

Sounds like the offense Morton loves.... :rolleyes:

20. TonyFtLaud

$843,424 for sitting on the beach. Gotta sell a hell of alot of policies to make that kind of money$. :p