300 Home Games

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll never for the life of me be able to figure out why your screen name is championjets69. That would mean the Jets won the Super Bowl in 1970. Just sayin'. I'm also pretty sure you got your avatar from SB III commemoration threads that I used to post four score seven years ago . . . : ) Have another:

[​IMG]

Oh, crap, the Heidi Game, my bad.

#41 jetophile, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I guess U need a lesson in NYJ history. FYI the NYJs won SB3 on 01/12/69. Use google if U wish to see that I am correct on the date. :mad:

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Humble?

jetophile likes this.
  4. jetophile

I know exactly what date and year the Jets won SB III. Aside from the fact that January 12th is a Holy Day of Obligation, I guess YOU need a lesson in NYJ history. FYI, it was the '68 Champion Jets, not the '69 Champion Jets. Get it now? Whatever you do, don't turn into nyjunc and start arguing with me about it.

It's all good, though, Old Man Grumpus. :mad:

5. jetophile

OK, another one. Who remembers that crappy side-line "band"? It was on the Jets side-line, around the 20. The Chase Band, The Chase Players, something like that. It was comprised of a guy on a tuba (that was horribly out of tune), a guy on drums, and occasionally a trumpet player or two. Who the F knows what they were playing or why they were even called a band. Anyway, some dope next to them would hold up a crude cardboard cut out of a white picket fence with 'Defence' written across it in black marker. That's right, defence. So when the crowd was yelling, "DEFENSE! DEFENSE!", The Chase Band or whatever would hit the drums and honk honk! Honk honk! Honk honk!, while the guy did the picket fence up and down thing in time to the "DEFENSE" chant."BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" My Daddy almost choked on his Cuban cigar, he was laughing so hard. That "band" would get verbally brutalized by the crowd on a consistent basis, hahaha. Some of you have been lucky enough to have witnessed it. You know who you are.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  6. jetophile

So this was Giants Stadium, I think '83. Another stellar HT show, it was a kick a FG/win a prize thing. Those were sometimes a world of fun, though, I gotta say. So everyone kept missing, but this girl named Bernadette kept flubbing terribly, "Bernadette from (can't remember the town), Long Island." God Bless her, she got close from ten yards, but NO-ONE made ANY. People who were in their seats went crazy. "BERNADETTE! BERNADETTE! BERNADETTE!" Yeah, the Jets should've signed Bernadette was the general gist of it. You also know who you are.

On a serious note, Morgan State University's marching band was always great. And the Frisbee dogs. : )

EDIT: Ooops, '84. That's what I get for bitchin' @ champ!

#46 jetophile, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But the Jets did have their own dancing girls in the 70's at Shea - they were the "Jet Set Majorettes" and only showed up at some of the home games. They could barely walk onto the field, much less do a dance routine. Their music was provided by the Bob Cleveland Orchestra who played the whole game from a portable bandstand parked behind the goalposts in the open end of the stadium. I don't remember Morgan State but the Elizabeth City NC Marching Band made at least two or three appearances at Shea and were crowd favorites.

I believe your Mr.Chubbs had another name for many in the stadium after a game where it had rained much of the day but cleared just before kickoff. I think these flag guys also had other jobs as ground crew or equipment helpers and this one, built low and wide still had his rainsuit on around kickoff. As he crossed the field a well-oiled fan in a booming, bellowing voice called out "Water Balloon!" so that was his name for the next few years.

Everything was so unorchestrated then you never knew what to expect. Sideline cameras were just beginning to be used in the early seventies and they were pretty crude in their adoption. A regular golf cart, which in those days did not have tops, had about a six foot square platform behind the driver on which a studio sized camera on a tripod was mounted. In addition to the driver and cameraman there was a guy whose job it was to haul the thick cable attached to the camera as the cart moved up and down the sideline on a path of plywood sheets. One day there was either a long gain or change of possession and the driver took off to the new spot of the ball but the cable guy couldn't keep up and the cable snagged on something pulling the camera and cameraman off the platform. About five minutes later half a dozen producers, directors and suits were standing around the shattered camera yelling and pointing fingers at every one involved but they soon were drowned out as the crowd got into it.

Oh yeah, there was football too, but it was the same old Jets by the mid seventies.

8. championjets69

Well sine they actually won the championship in 69 not 68 I chose my screen name based on the actual date they won SB3:mad:

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Great stories jetophile! We could start a halftime thread.

I loved the Frisbee Dogs. Morgan State was great too, and the FG contests were absolutely ridiculous. I always felt bad (not really) for those guys embarrassing themselves. Most would attempt it "soccer-style" having never done it before in their lives, and it showed. Most kicks barely went airborne. I probably missed a lot of halftimes - not because there was any particular need to visit the Meadowlands spiral (wink wink) BUT, because I had four seats in 122, and my other two seats were in 326 so we'd all meet at halftime and sometimes swap seat locations. Seeing how available tix are now, it's crazy that from '85 to '09 I could never get my six seats together. In the later years the Jets relocated my two uppers to be in 122 same row, but never together.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Anyone mention the Flying lawnmower Game?

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I've been to a grand total of four games, two at Shea and two at the Meadowlands. Two meaningless wins, one soul crushing wildcard loss and one tie. If that doesn't sum up the life of a Jets fan in microcosm, what does?

12. jetophile

HAH, HT, definitely. My cousin and I also had two things we would do that were a staple. Probably none of it will translate, but I'll try. It went on for almost 39 years (he bailed after The New Dump - can't say that I blame him). He's older than me, a natural comedian, very, VERY funny in this sarcastic, witty, but completely unmalicious way. It started in Shea when I was around 7. Whenever they'd make an announcement like, "Would Dr. Someone please report to the office. Would Dr. Someone please report to the office", he would poke me in the shoulder in mock panic and give me the thumb sign to the aisle as if to say, "That's you! Hurry up!" "The person in Section blah blah, Seat blah blah, your lights are on. The person in Section blah blah, Seat blah blah, your lights are on." Poke, poke, poke, thumb! The medical emergency ones were the best, because being Dr. Someone was a serious thing, it could be the difference between life and death, and I better hustle! It became this mad race, and I actually got him first and won a few times over the years.

This other thing we would do (he started it, of course), was if the Jets made a crappy one yard gain, for example. What you do is, you make a fist with only your pinkies extended. Instead of a full hand clap, you would 'clap' with only your pinkies. It was also used when the Jets scored a TD or had a big gain, whether they were winning or losing, depending on our mood. I still do that to this day. Hahaha.

13. jetophile

Four games?! I wish; but yeah, I would say that's pretty much a sum of its parts, microcosms be damned.

14. jetophile

Water balloon, holy. What about the ushers at Shea? Much more suited to a matinee in a movie theatre. It was Shea's version of 'security'. They wore these get ups that made them look like train conductors and they were all in their mid-80s. It was great when a brawl broke out, "You there, stop that please." Very effective.

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a real pic of a Shea usher.

15. jetophile

Yep, opening post. It was vs. the Cheats in early December '79. How stupid to even allow that. I remember one of the model planes crashed, and I just thought the whole thing was weird. And unnerving. The "lawnmower" was red, flew through the goal posts, was kind of herky-jerkying around, and then it just plummeted. We knew it was bad, even though we sat on the opposing side-line. Took out my Daddy's binocs, yes, it was bad.

#55 jetophile, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

At least you're .500 Sunday will be 301 for me, and I'm only eight over .500 o_O

17. LogeSection2RowJ

The remote control plane prior to the converted lawnmower was a flying Snoopy Doghouse thing. It seemed slightly out of control when it landed hard and broke apart. Crowd cheered, of course. This should've been an indication things were not going well radio-wise. When the lawnmower flew, it appeared out of control. I sat in Loge section 2, and we saw it come towards us, then suddenly climb sharply out of our sightline due to the roof of the loge section. In hindsight, the operator probably panicked as it flew towards the enclosed end of Shea, and to avoid a crash, pitched it up. Next thing I saw was it plummeting into the field level seats, maybe ten rows up, 3rd base side. The second half kickoff was delayed for the ambulance. The poor soul who perished had driven down from NE. Pats fan.

Had it occurred today, the Jets and the NFL would've been sued for MILLIONS. In those days a settlement was reached, but who knows for how much - though it doesn't matter anyway when a life is lost.

18. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for taking me into the Jets time machine.

19. championjets69

My uncle was a usher during the NYJ days @ Shea :mad:

20. championjets69

Your post says it all how shitty the NYJ teams have been thru years :mad: