Which QB should the Jets draft in 2018

Discussion in 'Draft' started by dmw, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Oklahoma should have won multiple championships instead of a just the single one under his tenure. When it came to the big games, Stoops really was horrible.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Baker Mayfield @ #1?

Another scenario where the hype exceeds the talent. I think Mayfield would best fit in New Orleans and sit behind Brees for a few years, he fits the Saints offense. Big 12 conference plays 0 defense if you aren't TCU. Barely any throws into tight windows. He's no Russel Wilson who has a far better arm and can make those throws. I look at Mayfield, while athleticism he is in Wilson's territory, Wilson has a great arm. Mayfield does not. If you are going to be that short, you better have a rocket arm. So why would I draft Mayfield in RD1 when he isn't even better then Wilson who was in the 3rd?

ColoradoContrails, legler82 and FJF like this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Assuming the Jets finish in the top 5 and can trade up, my ideal choice would be Darnold. Whether he stays or declares is anyone's guess, but both him and Rosen seem like guys that could start almost right away. Jackson, maybe, but I'd be okay with giving him a month or 2 to get adjusted.

NYJetsO12 and Peebag like this.
  4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

So it's agreed. We need a qb.

NYJetsO12 and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

prior QBs under Malzhan sucked. That's why they didn't complete many passes.

Another year of playing in the SEC would help any QB prospect regardless of the offense he plays in or the stats he puts up

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

By the way "he can throw a deep ball and/or got a nice arm" is oversimplifying what he is showing in those plays. A lot of guys have nice arms and can throw a good deep ball. That's what someone would say watching Mason Rudolph tape. How many guys can consistently drop a deep pass with perfect ball placement over the applicable shoulder without a WR breaking stride and with a defender just feet or sometimes inches away? How QB prospect can drop a sideline dime against zone coverage right in between a trailing CB and charging safety. Those are big boy throws or as my man Voch Lombardi would say "QB ass whoop right there".

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm on the Rosen Train until they pry him from my cold, dead fingers. After that, I'm leaning towards Stidham, then Darnold if he comes out, then Jackson, and NO NO NO! on Allen, Faulk, Mayfield.

But whoever they take, he should be made the Day 1 starter, or aggressively prepped to start ASAP during his first season. If he's not ready to do that, he's not a FQB prospect.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Unless the Jets manage to somehow jump into the top 5 and grab one of the Tier 1 Qb's, whomever the Jets victimize by drafting them will have to sit forever behind a Vet QB. If said draftee isn't day one ready to start, he can kiss his career goodbye since as we all know the Jets' history of developing Qb talent doesn't exist. Since the Jets are well known for developing young QB talent, these kids must have all sucked. Quite the streak of bad picks isn't it..

The Jets can do every college QB a favor by NOT drafting them unless that pick happens in the top 5. Anything else is career homicide for that kid. Just ask all the other Jet young Qb's who mysteriously vanished because "they sucked" due to lack of development. Out of all the Qb's drafted since Namath, there's only been 4..

Long odds indeed when you're talking about the Jets and the time period really doesn't matter. The results are always the same. Given how many All Pro QB's the Jets have developed over the decades, it couldn't possibly be the coaching..

#28 Cman68, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I hope they draft a QB so Petty gets summarily cut forthwith. Dude sucks

10. Cman68

I agree.. Petty is better off selling insurance than being on the Jet roster. Then again, ANY young QB who isn't day one ready to start would be better served NOT coming anywhere near Florham Pk. The Jets suck at developing Qb's. They also seem to suck at drafting them too..

11. Walt White

Dude can't beat out McCown and won the back up job by default over Hackenstein. Bill Walsh couldn't have developed that trash.

FJF likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) too early to tell, depends on draft position and who is there
    2) i'm all for an open competition. start him if he can win it. i'd also like to have a vet as well and i think petty and hack will battle for the final roster spot

13. Walt White

Yep. A reasonable assessment of how this will go.
    The evaluations of the prospects aren't close to being finalized at this point. This will be a very interesting QB draft class with many guys to choose from and not any of them necessarlly elite blue chippers. Meaning the top pick or two are not guaranteed to succeed. But there's enough guys to allow a team like the Jets to draft a guy later in the 1st or 2nd also if they don't want to commit to a high 1st rd. pick.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. Cman68

an "Open" competition? You mean like the last "open" competition? Don't make me laugh...

15. Walt White

Hopefully they don't draft trash again and the guy stands a chance to win. Unlike Petty and Hack.

16. Cman68

Then cut him, make Mackenberg the backup and move on. Easy

17. Cman68

Then cut him, make Mackenberg the backup and move on. Easy

18. Cman68

Hopefully they don't draft ANY young college Qb who's not ready to start coming in. I'd hate to see the Jets commit career homicide on another kid's QB NFL career.

19. Walt White

The whole stable could be completely different come mini camp 2018

20. Cman68

True.. but the only thing that counts is the result. Not sure how many more times I can watch the same movie with the same ending.

21. Walt White

On what QB did they commit career homicide? Are you that defeatist that you can't be hopeful of them drafting a good QB next spring without fearing some nebulous notion or myth that they'll ruin a guy that couldn't cut it to begin with?