Which QB should the Jets draft in 2018

Discussion in 'Draft' started by dmw, Nov 29, 2017.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Question for you guys: If we draft a QB in the first round do we start him right away? Or does a guy like McCown come back? Roll with Petty or something? Sign a different veteran? How do you think that should be managed. Which I guess could depend on the particular rookie. If so, which ones could play right away and which ones should sit?

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm more in line with starting the rookie right away because I don't think the learning progression is as fast as when you get to play and go through the motions of being an NFL QB.

I would also think it wouldn't sit well with fans if they drafted a QB with a top 10 pick and have him sit behind the likes of McCown who may not even be on the team next season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

1. Jackson/Mayfield
    2. Stidham

Rosen will be gone and Darnold will probably stay in school.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Eventually they all will come around. They always do.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  6. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

As you said, I would think it depends on the rookie. Rosen/Mayfield would both likely be obvious day 1 starters. Jackson might have to bulk up a bit but should probably play (maybe not start day 1). Josh Allen = either resigning McCown or going out for a year 'rental' and develop him for the year. I have Darnold returning to school but he could be a day 1 starter if necessary, but I wouldn't personally want to start him immediately.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

Stidham should stay in school

8. BrowningNagle

See when I was asking the question and thinking about it Mayfield was the one I thought who would be the riskiest to play right away. I would sit him at least to start the season. interesting that you think the opposite. Personally I think Rosen and Darnold and maybe Jackson would be the easiest to play right away.

I think a smaller QB like Mayfield who got comfortable in that Oklahoma beast offense would have a tough time getting battered around right away

-

here's a crazy thought. Jets can Bowles, hire Bob Stoops and draft his old QB Mayfield to run the show? -
    It would require Woody to open his pocket book though. Stoops walked away from 5.5 mill annually at Okie, he ain't coming out of retirement for less and I don't think Woody has ever hired a coach at figures that high

FJF likes this.
  9. legler82

Based on what? What area of his game needs another year of school for him to improve upon?

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If we do draft a QB in the first round we most likely would split the reps between the rookie and Hackenberg, but I believe the rookie should get every single rep possible from OTAs on. You know really quick as a team that you need to start your first round draft pick at some point, they should be getting the most practice reps to improve on their game before they step foot on the field every Sunday. The only QB who shouldn't be playing from day 1 in my opinion is Josh Allen.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

He's too risky. I want to see him play more. I love Gus Malzahn but that Auburn offense is gimmicky. It's all smoke and mirrors. A half season at Baylor and 1 year in that gimmick offense. I don't trust Stidham.

12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Bob Stoops has done less with the most talent of any coach in NCAA history.

TonyFtLaud, KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  13. legler82

He's had 15 starts. That's 2 more than the first QB off the board in last year's draft. He potentially can add 3 more starts before the season ends. Besides that he has also seen playing time in 7 other games. In that sample size he's shown consistent accuracy and good decision making. His CMP% and TD to INT ratio is the same in Malzahn's run heavy offense as it was in Briles' Spread. He's doing the same thing against the SEC's pro-like defenses as he did against the Big 12's porous defenses. He's far less risky IMO than all the other prospects not named Rosen.

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

In all fairness, Trubisky shouldn't have been the first QB taken.

15. BrowningNagle

you think so? 10 conference titles in 18 years seems pretty good to me. Idk how good he'd be at the next level I just think he did well for himself at Okie and was throwing that out there for fun

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Ideally Rosen or Darnold, realistically think we end up with Mayfield or Allen

17. BrowningNagle

It's easy to have a good completion percentage when every pass you throw is at or behind the line though. I'll admit I haven't watched a whole lot of Auburn this season but that's kinda how they play. I'm not a Stidham hater. I recognize there is talent there. I just think he needs to play more

18. legler82

The things to consider when looking at the gifs below are the competition and the throwing window of these. This is not against Big 12 fluff defenses; we're talking about the likes of LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Alabama..etc. Also these WRs are NOT wide open like the highlights of the Spread QBs in the class.

Don't you think you need to have done the bold in order to make a more informed assessment? I have seen almost every snap of his at Baylor and at Auburn even seen his Auburn Spring Ball game. From what I've seen, the kid is more ready than a lot of the guys in the class with twice as many starts.

#18 legler82, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  19. BrowningNagle

It is fair to say I need a more informed assessment. But to your first point though, I did not say he can't throw a deep ball. He can. Your 3 of 4 plays show it. He's got a nice arm. We were talking about completion percentage though, which is quite different..

If there are a 11 pass plays called, Auburn throws 10 at the line of scrimmage and the 11th deep. That's just how they play. The majority of their offense is behind the line of scrimmage. The fact that Stidham can hit the deep ball, and it appears he is, is nice but that doesn't tell us anything about his inflated completion percentage.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. legler82

This was true for Auburn under Cam, Nick Marshall, Jeremy Johnson...etc. but not under Stidham. They brought over Chip Lindsey from ASU as OC and throughout the year he's incorporated a lot more intermediate throws to take advantage of Stidham skills as a potent passer. This has been very evident in the pass 3 weeks.

By the way if this was true, your position that he stay in school makes no sense. What's another year of inflated completion percentages going to do? Also, if it's that easy to complete almost 70% of your passes why isn't everyone doing it? Prior Auburn QBs under Malzahn never finished an entire season in the SEC with that high of a CMP%.

#20 legler82, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017