Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Rosen won't cost you as much cap space during the first five years, and you'll know sooner if he's going to be your FQB. With Cousins, given his record of "success", you'll keep hanging onto him even if he isn't the guy who can get you the SB, thus blocking progress, so in reality, Cousins costs more time.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. Oh I know I wouldn’t.LOL I gave up drinking when my health went south bout 5 years ago..I’ve been on “medicinal” ever since. Here In CT have to wait for the strain I like to come through twice a year if I’m lucky..out there it’s like an endless supply & selection.I know we’d have some killer jet talk as well!!

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Curious lol...
    I had a trip planned for Denver > New Orleans but had to cancel... I think I would have made some really great decisions on this trip..lmao

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure they would've seemed great at the time.:p

Royal Tee and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kurt, we're in total agreement on this. No way I want Cousins. It will end the rebuild, and the Jets will be back to business as usual. Screw that.

6. Right on.

The thing about it is it brings me absolutely no joy to have this opinion. For one I'm a huge MSU fan & Kirk Cousins is likely my fav, Spartan QB of my lifetime.Additionally it'd be so much easier to throw money at a free agent to come to NY rather than banking on the draft. But it's just not the right path for this rebuilding team & Cousins just isn't a franchise guy. Sad but true.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Cousins has one of the best league passer ratings in last two years, despite one of the worst offensive lines.
    He's a baller and totally a franchise guy.
    Easily a top 10 QB with upside to be better.

Signing him would give us a lot of draft capital back, as we have plenty of other holes to fill.
    We'll need those draft picks, and we'll need to draft well. Signing Cousins would not equate to trading away draft picks, and we wouldn't be able to sign any other big name FA's. So really it wouldn't change anything other than solving our QB position. Hell I'd even still draft a QB should the right situation present itself.

101GangGreen101, FJF and Walt White like this.

8. Ahh yes...but a few things you aren't considering..

1. Signing Cousins will dictate the rest of free agency pick -ups big name or otherwise. It only makes sense to bring him here if other veteran pieces are brought in along w. him. That's exactly what ownership,the media & certain segments of the fan base will be screaming for. This will result in irresponsible spending, unrealistic expectations & the demise of a slowly ascending youth movement

2. The same argument can be made that we "need that cap space" to fill other holes on the team. I mean sheesh...$85 mill in cap space...that 6-8 decent players to add to the fold. Guys who can fill in the cracks all over the roster. Ideally we address OL/EDGE/CORNER/WR in that very order. If we give up 3-4 picks to move up for a QB all is not lost b.c of all those aforementioned FA signings...and it's not as if we wont have other picks to make..or the ability to trade down to soften the blow.

3 There's always the idea that we sign those 6-8 guys in FA,,,stay at our original 1st pick...draft the QB & still have the rest of our picks in house.

Young core already here+ C/OT/CB/Edge in FA + high ceiling QB+ making the rest of our picks or perhas trading down for MORE= Maybe we've got somethin in Florham park Vs. Young core already here+ Cousins+ Making our draft picks= a team still under construction being thrust into a "Win or else" scenario they aren't ready for...which could destroy the entire plan of the last year or so.

I'll leave both our stances on Cousins the player out of the discussion. We clearly disagree there..which is fine. It's really not even about whether he is good enough or not. It's rather if I want the team to spend massive cap space on 1 guy who drastically changes the team's course which frankly will be under false pretenses. Paying Cousins like a final piece when are nowhere near "final piece" discussions is just a recipe for disaster in this media market & even moreso given the team's history w. these type of moves.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I'd rather trade up for a QB than put it all on Cousins. Build a team around a young QB that the team can grow with. We can spend our money on an edge rusher and some OL. With Quincy, Anderson and ASJ we already have some decent offensive weapons.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What edge rusher will be available though? Edge,lt and qbs rarely come available in fa, when one does and you need one, you do what you can to land him. If it fails you go back to the draft, both are viable options for filling holes and neither should be dismissed.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Cousins is like flopping Jacks.

Drafting a QB is like chasing a straight flush.

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Given how terrible the Jets are at drafting QBs, signing Cousins makes a lot of sense. We have so much money available next season to spend between additional players that will get cut and reworked and a portion of that money we must spend to hit the salary floor.

That opens up our options in the draft. Perhaps now we can get that stud left tackle or a future #1 receiver. While a lot was made out of how bad the offense seemed to be in the beginning of the season, Cousins will have some weapons in Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse, and ASJ. I would certainly take that over the current Redskins situation.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The more I get comfortable with the idea of paying Cousins whatever it will take the more I get excited about guys at other positions in the draft like Arden Key or Quinton Nelson that we can build around.

LAJet likes this.
  14. FJF

Apparently,from what I have gathered on this board, signing cousins does not allow us to draft anyone or sign any other players. It’s sign cousins and win now with what’s on the roster or else.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. FJF

Or a trade down ,adding a bunch of high picks and really restocking the o line and the depth throughout the team. Too many options when you have your qb already.

101GangGreen101 and James Hasty like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The possibilities are endless. When we have our QB everything will look a hundred times better.

FJF likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If they can draft a blue chip OT (and draft/ sign a C/G), a solid CB, and a speedy OLB..... bring back a healthy Enunwa, and ASJ.... drop Cousins in and watch 'em roll.

FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

May very well be the way we go. If Cousins hits the market, Jets could easily afford to add him with the amount of cap space we'll have available (probably 90+ million)

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets sign Cousins, I hope he goes down with a season-ending injury during TC, the Jets go 0-16, and the whole CS and FO are fired.

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Let's see you deny again that you never wish an injury on a player. Not only wishing injury on a player but on what would be a Jets player in your scenario.

101GangGreen101 likes this.