Is the Jets continuing to start Josh McCown worse than the Buttfumble?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Nov 28, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Is the Jets continuing to start Josh McCown worse than the Buttfumble?
    By: Charles Curtis, Nina Mandell, Steven Ruiz and Nick Schwartz | November 28, 2017 1:46 pm
    Link: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/new...stian-hackenberg-bryce-petty-buttfumble-worse

We knew thought the New York Jets were going to be bad this year. Like, historically bad.

So why not have fun with it? Each week, we’ll highlight one lowlight from the team and ask our panel: Was it worse than the Buttfumble, arguably the greatest NFL blooper of all time?

This week, it’s time to look toward the future for Gang Green. The team is 4-7 and with a pretty tough schedule ahead (vs. Chiefs, at Broncos, at Saints, vs. Chargers, at Patriots), the playoffs are a pipe dream.

So shoudn’t the Jets kick the tires on one or both of their young backups in Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg to see what they’ve got before considering a QB in next year’s draft?

“He’s playing well right now,” Bowles said on Monday, via the Daily News. “Josh [McCown] is our quarterback.”

So is the decision to stick with a 38-year-old QB in a rebuilding year worse than the Buttfumble? Here’s how our panel reacted:

Charles Curtis: I’ve consistently said in this space that the worst thing the Jets can do is win games. I’ll also add that a lack of planning for the future is a glaring error — the expectation is that the Jets will look hard at a quarterback in the upcoming draft, yet they have two QBs they’ve spent some time on grooming. Petty’s in his third season and the Jets took Hackenberg with a valuable second-rounder last year. Is mishandling this situation worse than one hilarious but mostly meaningless play in a game the Jets were going to lose anyway? YES.

Nina Mandell: No. Josh McCown is a national treasure and we should be grateful that he still is holding onto a career in the NFL.

Steven Ruiz: I’m going to say yes, because the Jets actually have a say in whether McCown starts. They did not have a say in whether the Buttfumble was going to happen or not. And I agree with Charles. There is no upside to playing McCown. It looks like the Jets are giving up on Christian Hackenberg, but why not give him a chance to play in a real NFL game before doing so? Maybe he plays well enough to at least build up his trade value. Winning one or two more games than you would without McCown in the lineup isn’t worth giving up a better draft position.

Nick Schwartz: It depends on your perspective. For Jets fans who simply want the best for the team long-term, yes, this is probably worse than the Buttfumble.

Still, if I’m Todd Bowles, I would prefer to remain employed and would therefore give myself the best chance at winning each week. New York’s lost two straight, and if that extends to a seven-game slide by the time the season’s over, Bowles is gone.

2. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

YES AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The butt fumble might've cost a game, but continuing to start McCown costs a season (or more).

Zach and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Jethro is that you?

Jets69 likes this.
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You really think starting either of the other two would actually save this season, really?

Jets69 likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The butt fumble is overrated as a football blooper and would get no coverage if it weren’t the jets and on thanksgiving night.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

that article and this thread suck moose cock.

LogeSection2RowJ, stinkyB and soh_vet like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not sure why they equated playing McCown and the buttfumble... doesn't make much sense to me. There's a huge debate going on around the Jets vision for the future. No debate whatsoever about the buttfumble or bubby brister's fck up for that matter. I don't like what's going on but this does seem like shitting on the Jets for the helluva it.

10. Whatever it takes to get Bowles fired.He doesn’t care about the team’s future..so F his future as a coach.He’ll replace Bruce in Zona & have his dream QB in Carson Palmer anyway

phubbadaman likes this.
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The butt fumble might have cost us a game? Really? We lost by 30 points.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

terrible thread. at least with josh we got to see what we have in anderson, kearse, ASJ, maguire etc. with petty or hack who knows?

soh_vet and BacktoQueens like this.
  13. Cman68

Isn't that the point of playing them? Oh yeah, I forgot that Petty sucked in 2016 and Hack can't hit water from the beach. My bad.. You're right.. Play the geezer.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. I still maintain that they’ll leverage the fact that both didn’t play this year & try to sell that they’ve both made strides behind the scenes making way for 2018.Why? So they can spend & draft like sailors on Defense

#13 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  15. Cman68

You mean like "lightly used" on EBay?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Eli getting benched for Geno is much much worse than this!

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The irony is that most mocks have the Giants using a high first rounder on a QB when Davis Webb looked pretty good coming out of college last year. Even though Geno is the # 2 the Giants absolutely need to get a good look at Webb ASAP.

18. ColoradoContrails

I meant that by NOT starting Petty (or Hack?) you waste the rest of this season when you could be finding out for sure if they're worth anything.

K'OB likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

I meant that best (or worst) case is that the Butt Fumble cost one game, not that it actually was responsible for the game being lost.

20. ColoradoContrails

If you need to understand the difference between a strong organization (Giants) and a shitty one (like the Jets), consider that the Giants actually sat their long time starter, who won 2 SBs to see if they could change things up. Meanwhile Todd (Clueless) Bowles sticks like glue to a 38 year old, won nothing, journeyman, because "He gives us the best chance to win"!:mad:

dogg and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  21. Bowles actually said in his presser Monday that Mccown “has played well”. If Mara were the owner he might’ve been fired on the spot.

What a kick to the balls to a fan base that is fed up!

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.