Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You are selling this team short. The weapons are there, the defense is almost there and probably good enough now. And get this, we are allowed to have a draft and sign more players after we sign cousins. There has never been a better time to make a bold move than right now. Cap space is there, high draft pick,extra 2nd rd pick. The amount of talent we can add is unreal and to not add one of the best qbs of the last 3 years because you want “transcendent talent” is akin to winning a million dollar lotto and using all the money to try to win powerball. Add cousins to this team for this year and we beat the falcons,bucs,panthers,dolphins and challenging for the division,right now.

2. We can agree to disagree.I think Rosen & Darnold CAN be transcending talents..you can keep your 30 year old 8 win demigod.

But rest assured..I already know Bowles/Mac will see things your way & go w the vet.Its the path of least resistance & ownership will love the false bravado laced back pages & then we’ll go out &overpay every big name veteran on the open market.Another get rich quick scheme.

But hey..maybe you guys will be right this time.Ill keep hoping for a REAL contender..not fantasy land

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I mean I guess if you really think Rosen / Darnold are Luck level prospects. To me they aren't, but I wouldn't shy away from drafting them obviously. Scenarios man, gotta look at them all. But hey agree to disagree, if we sign Cousins and we start winning, just go ahead and purchase that keg and deliver it to my house.

4. FJF

So signing a good qb is fantasy but jets drafting the next great qb isn’t?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Rosen is a transcendent talent, but almost no chance the Jets get him.

6. 101GangGreen101

I like Rosen, but he's not a transcendent talent. Transcendent talents like Luck had no glaring flaws coming out. Rosen is the man, but I can't ignore the fact the he's OK under pressure and has durability issues. Matt Ryan and Eli Manning, I don't consider them to be transcendent talents and I think Rosen is right there with the Matt Ryan comparison, though I think Rosen can be a better QB.

To add - obviously if Mac thinks Rosen is the final piece, then do what you gotta do to get him.

7. ColoradoContrails

After reading your posts, Kurt, FJF, and 101, you all make very good points. I hate to sound like Billy Martin in that old Miller Lite commercial, but I do feel very strongly both ways. Where I stand right now is if somehow the Jets could get Rosen, I would prefer that, but I really don't think they have a chance. Failing that, signing Cousins, and trading up to get Barkley, and then adding a LT and and Edge Rusher, and they're instant playoff-caliber, although maybe not SB-caliber, but well on their way. Failing getting either ROsen or Cousins, I'm liking Stidham a lot - sort of a "poor man's Rosen".

But there's a long road to travel between now and April.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ALL QBs have flaws, even P. Manning and Elway, and Marino, and the great Joe WIllie, but each in their own way were transcendent. I really see Rosen's attitude and intelligence, coupled with a great arm, that adds up to transcendent.

I'm glad we agree that that if your guy is there - whoever he is - you go balls to the wall to get him.

9. FJF

And that’s the beauty of the whole thing, there are a lot of options no matter what mac does. But cousins will be the first domino to fall, that’s why I harp on it so much. If we don’t get him I will move on to the draft but right now I am all in on cousins. Hopefully Mac is too.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I see your point. Signing Cousins or not dictates what he needs to do in the draft.

I wish it was January already.

11. WINNING w a “good” QB is fantasy.Especially when you consider this team & this ownership.Signing cousins immediately puts us in a “win or else” mandate..Good is just that;Not great.

While there is high risk associated w drafting a FQB it’s not out of the question & doesn’t disrupt the draft oriented youth movement currently underway..

If the QB doesn’t work out we’re still compiling a roster the right way & can look at our options down the road.

Cousins doesn’t work out we have a bad contract to worry about,a stunted rebuild & an angry locker room filled w pissed off vets we signed for the “win or else” mandate

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Agreed Cousins should be a top target.
    Even if we got Cousins, I still wouldn't mind drafting a QB. There might be good value in rounds 2 or 3 this year..

FJF likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I don't know if Rosen is truly transcendent. I mean I really like him as a prospect too, more than anyone in years past. But I wouldn't mind Cousins / Stidham if we can somehow pick up both, that would set us up for a LONG time. I pretty much have the same stance as @FJF in terms of the situation.

I just want one of these guys on the roster come next season. I ain't gonna be picky about it this time either.

14. ColoradoContrails

Very good point. I share your concern. Although if Cousins hasn't yet hit his prime, and he gets better as a Jet, it would be great. Of course no one can know the future, and the gamble is there. I'm with you as far as drafting a FQB, although I see Rosen (and maybe Stidham) as the only two who are almost "can't miss", so in that sense, Cousins represents a little more certainty. But I remain leery of signing him and using up so much cap space, and then if he doesn't make them SB-caliber quickly (by year 2 of his contract), they're stuck with another expensive vet as a roadblock to developing a potential true FQB. That would be the worst case scenario for me, which is why I lean away from signing him. Worst case with a drafted QB is he doesn't work out, but you've spent less money on him. Yes, he cost you valuable draft picks, but as I pointed out in other threads, the relative cost of draft picks is cheap in the long run.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Definitely agree with the bolded part.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. First of all I always felt Luck was overrated as a prospect.Blue Chip & elite level?No doubt.But the “best since Elway” talk was absolutely silly. People get too caught up in the week to week stock watch.Luck played for a team that fit his skill set perfectly & minimized his mistakes;people wanted to act like he was this flawless prospect which is absolutely silly in retrospect.

It’s just as silly now to hold current QB prospects to that same level. Every QB is totally it’s own animal..they all have strengths & weaknesses. When people say “he’s not luck when he came out” what does that mean?Hes not a perceived perfect prospect?Is that what we’re waiting for to finally draft a guy?

I don’t think Rosen or Darnold are any less of prospects than Luck was,really.I know I’ll catch flak for that opinion but it’s the truth.Maybe he would go higher than both of them but to me the ultimate projection is the same:potential FQB.

Can’t hide behind the notion of waiting for a QB to have no perceived holes like Luck bc A.Its unrealistic B. It wasn’t even true in Luck’s case

At some point we gotta take a risk on a QB.The scouts need to do their job & deliver.Other teams figure it out every single year despite the 30 year gap between Elway & Luck’s respective draft years.

Hey man.Cousins works out & takes down Bellicheat in the AFCG I’ll send you TWO kegs & Will go to Colorado’s neck of the woods to get my “mile high” on! LOL

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Guys like Rudolph, Thorson, Stidham, Allen.......they won't be ready to play day 1, but I don't think there is a huge drop off in talent with these guys from the top prospects. The draft is deep on QB prospects, but I don't believe there are any elite blue chip guys.

Getting Cousins plus one of them outside the first round would a nice scenario imo...

18. FJF

Cousins costs you cap space, draft pick costs you cap space,draft pick and time it takes to realize what you have. Gambling with the money is a lot less of a risk

19. 101GangGreen101

Luck to me, just didn't have any negatives to do his game. Superior arm, ridiculous football IQ, physical beast. Accurate in all stages and was durable. To this day, I have still never seen a QB with a game as complete as his. I like Rosen too.

LOL that last sentence you got that right, hey man same with your opinion as well. I'll buy the 2 kegs, we all want to win at the end of the day.

20. ColoradoContrails

Well I won't wreck my sobriety, but I can show you some great places to celebrate!:) Frankly, if you came, you might not want to go back!

Royal Tee and KurtTheJetsFan like this.