Jarrett Stidham 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Nov 26, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The more the Giants and Browns lose the more unlikely it becomes we get Rosen. Aside from us losing out - which is entirely possible IMO - Jets would need to give up at minimum 3 first round picks to select Rosen or Darnold. Not only that but we all know the Giants are going to select one or the other and they are on track for the 3rd pick - Browns will likely select Rosen #1 as he's most pro ready and safer pick over Darnold - so jets would in essence have to go ahead and leap frog the giants at the 2nd pick to get Darnold and the 49ers will want a ton for him. Maccagnan has been relatively conservative in terms of trading and hasn't struck me as the guy that will give away 3 first rounders to move up.

Anything is possible of course, but I think Maccagnan is going to need a divine intervention if he wants Rosen. Most pro ready and the Browns will be killing themselves for acquiring more picks just to continue the trend of not picking a FQB

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not out of the realm that these things happen:

1. Browns win a game and the 49ers grab the top pick as they lose out. Browns still very competitive.
    or
    2. Kizer plays better (played better last week; now has Corey Coleman back) and the Browns trade out or take the BPA.

Giants won't be picking any higher then 3 IMO. Mac has attempted to trade up in the past (Tunsil), I think he's cheap and won't give up the farm, but I think he might for Rosen. It won't take 3 first rounders to move up btw.

I still like Lamar Jackson, Darnold, Cousins, Bridgewater all as alternatives as being a starter for the Jets next season. MAYBE Josh Allen, he will be in the Senior Bowl no?

FJF likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Giants are not going qb, either Barkley or the Notre Dame tackle who’s name I can’t spell. They still have an open window with the right moves this spring

4. grkmanga31

I think its entirely possible it would cost 3 first rounders if not more - When Rams and Redskins did that deal for RG3 it was 3 first rounders and 1 second rounders and that was to move from 6 to 2.

If Jets lose out they may not be as high as 6, but if we are I can totally see a team saying they're not accepting any trade offers unless the compensation is in a similar realm. The 49ers, assuming they lose out and garapollo doesn't play, will want as many picks as they can get as they have a ton of holes to fill and will want to immediately catapult the team to contention with signing Garapollo to an extension.

Browns have been competing all year, they'rte just not very good and Jackson is not a great coach. Jets probably should have lost to them earlier this year but as luck would have it Kizer started and they couldn't overcome his first half ineptitude.

Also, in terms of Mac trading up - trading up for an O-lineman is much less splashy than a top 5 QB prospect. When you trade up for QB's the team giving up the pick knows they have the upper hand in negotiations imo.

This is the Wentz trade up details

The Eagles get: The No. 2 pick in 2016 and a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Browns get: The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

Not like the 3 1st rounders Washington gave up - but still enough draft capital that may potentially scare and a GM that hasn't shown to be a gunslinger in GM terms.

I could be wrong and everything could break the Jets way - I just personally don't see it.

5. grkmanga31

Eli is not the QB he once was. At his age - I think the Giants will be proactive and get Eli out of here a year early rather than a year late. If they were going to keep McAdoo and Reese I would agree with you but they are such a disaster that I can totally see Giants just blowing the whole thing up in efforts to get the fan base excited. Also, with the Giants being as "proud" of an organization as they are, the site of cowboys and eagles and redskins fans invading the stadium and outnumbering giants fans it won't sit well.

I see a complete reset - new QB, new GM, HC.

6. 101GangGreen101

It's really how you present the trade. You don't have to give up 3 first rounders, could give up 2 of the 2nd rounders another first, etc. Has to be a combination of picks.

I mean, we will see to see come draft day. Might not be worth the move up for Rosen. Personally, I think there are a lot of options this off-season, just have to gauge the trade interest. The Wentz deal to me, is a package I would be more willing to give up. Back to Mac trading up, you mentioned Mac was conservative, I don't think he's conservative, but I do think he's cheap. Cheap ain't bad. but at the same time, conservative could be cheap no? I guess it depends on the # of calls he's made.

7. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Kinda praying his stock doesn't climb any higher kinda reminds me of the Carson Wentz climb a couple of years back when he seemingly came outta no where and pretty sealed his first round spot by the end of the season. Stidham may have a similar climb but at this point if all the big names declare he still probably will be behind atleast Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold. Him and Lamar are pretty much neck and neck to me at this point.

8. FJF

I don’t see it. Giants coming off a disappointing season are going to want to build some excitement by winning. There’s a lot of money in the d,Eli is still good enough,obj,engram add o line help which should have been done this year and improved run game and they are competitive.
    So we’ll agree to disagree here.

Brook! and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If Auburn makes the college playoffs, the hype train will be off and running (see Cardale Jones). The so called "scouting community" are lemmings doing a yearly group think exercise. Needless to say, I can easily see a Wentz-like climb if he plays well in the post season because I know he will absolutely kill the pre-draft process if he enters. The only person I can't see him passing in such a scenario is Rosen. Remember all the other guys bring at least one major concern to the table whether it be in size, accuracy, size, character, decision making, scheme...etc. The only real negative Stidham has is his small sample size which by the way is already larger the 1st QB taken overall in last year draft. That sample size will increase by at least 1to potentially increase by 3 more games. So lets hope Auburn lays a fat egg in the SEC Championship game.

Nesquik likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

I agree. I think I would be much more ok with the Wentz deal than an RG3 kinda deal because it allows you to still select premium talent in round 1 for the most part.

In terms of the difference of being cheap or conservative I think they can be the same or different because Macc has shown that he does want to trade up, or trade picks and move up in drafts, but conservative in the sense that he hasn't as of yet displayed that he is willing to break the bank for any prospect.

If he feels that compelled to do so in 2018, it would be interesting to see what he deems reasonable in terms of trade value.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Eli would have to ask for a trade, I think. Releasing him would be a killer. He has a cap hit of 19.7M in 2017 and will have a cap hit of 22.2M in 2018.

I could see them firing the GM and giving that team one more shot.

12. FJF

That’s the way I see it. Hell even take a mid round qb to sit for 2 years as the heir apparent. I just don’t see a team ready to hit the reset.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The biggest concern I have with Mayfield is his maturity. Would he be able to be an effective franchise QB and make it in NY? Other than this, I'm on board for drafting him.

Liking Stidham more and more and will try to watch him next time he plays. Although a redshirt sophomore, at least he had some starting experience in college prior to this season

14. 101GangGreen101

I hope someone does us a favor and picks up Baker Mayfield.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Given the players Macc passed on due to off-field/character concerns, I don't think he'll draft Mayfield.

I just hope someone takes Allen and Falk before we do.

16. ColoradoContrails

Of course the Wentz seal is better than the RGIII deal, BUT...if it took an RGIII-type deal to get Rosen I would do it. I don't think Macc would however. The thing is: how much is "too much" for a generational/transformational player? IMO almost nothing.

17. grkmanga31

Agreed but is Rosen a generational/transformational player? I'd say probably not, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if Macc thinks that highly and wants to trade that much capital then go for it. He'll ultimately have to live with the results -good or bad.

I would be much more comfortable with a Wentz type deal but again I just don't see how Jets would be able to get Rosen, unless he is passed on by the Browns. Then it would be the 49ers who hold the keys and they'll trade away the pick to whichever team offers the most.

18. 101GangGreen101

Allen is going to be a scary one once the Jets are on the clock. I still don't get the Falk love, I doubt he gets drafted in the first 2 rounds.

19. ColoradoContrails

Well I agree that the Jets probably can't get Rosen, no matter what. Just saying, if some miracle occurs and they can, they should spend whatever it takes to get him. That said, Macc won't.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Posted the following in another thread. This thread is probably a better spot for it.

"Stidham is among the most accurate and best deep-ball throwers in the country. His 130.1 passer rating on throws of 20 yards or more sits at eighth in the country, per Pro Football Focus. He’s racked up 619 yards, 5 TDs, and no interceptions on such throws." [These numbers are better as this was as of 3 weeks ago before knocking of the undefeated #1 team in the country twice in that span]."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brook! and Nesquik like this.