Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Spot on RM. They wasted a great opportunity to get another shot at a good QB in 2017. It could have been two shots but Mahomes hasn't played yet. Petty should play at some point in these next games but I think Hackenberg is really that awful because he can't beat anyone out. That fluff job the Jet put out in training camp showed they have no faith at all in him.

#181 boozer32, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is my concern, I said it when they signed Mcown last year that Bowles would go with him as starter.

It has also been the pattern of this FO and CS, continue to use jag at the QB position until one of the young guys developes, the problem with that philosophy is that a young QB won't develop without real time experience, this philosophy will keep them in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As if we haven't seen enough of this horse shit "wash-rinse-repeat" movie before. A one year half wonder with Favre, a completed wasted second year with Fitz after a marginal first season. This year is no different, no real future, good enough to be mediocre crap, so only a masochist true Jet fan will put up with the same go no where garbage for an another year or more.
    Apparently this leadership and some fans are knowledgeable enough to readily dismiss untrained rookies after a totally unprepared 1-3 start, or no starts at all, but live with a back up QB with a life long career record of 26-69 and no playoff performances.
    Because after all, is the experienced QB that gives us the best chance to remain mediocre forever.
    As much as it hurts me to say so, the best thing it could happen for the Jets is to completely miss the dubious opportunity of a playoff spot this year and force a real change in coaching approach to happen. It could show once and for all if there is any hope or not.

#183 LAJet, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The Eagles have the best record in the NFL. The Jets have Buster Skrine starting when healthy.

Just because the Eagles have no use for a corner does not mean he can't help our team.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

It improves the team if McCown forms chemistry with the offense and gets the offense ready to take on a newbie QB.

6. Red Menace

Sorry Maine but this theory is still not proven, if that was the case then Brock Osweiler should have taken over for Peyton Manning who is a HOF QB seamlessly.

So if Manning who is a HOF QB could not get team ready for Osweiler how is Mcown who is bottom of barrel QB going to get team ready for any newbie QB?

Young QBs need real time game experience, sitting behind veterans only gets them so much development. Goff is a perfect example of a young QB who needed a good CS to help him grow, it obviously helped him to start because now he is fulfilling his potential.

Watson didn't need to sit behind a veteran to play well either. What a team needs is a good offensive minded HC and draft the right young QB with the right skill set that transitions to the NFL.

So far Mac has failed to either draft the right young QB or Bowles can't develope them.

Ironically this thread is about the players Mac has purged, the one position he needs to purge is the QB position, that will allow the young QBs to get some playing time.

#186 Red Menace, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Mainejet

Whether you like it or not, that's Toilet for you? This is the same guy that is virtually unable to make in game strategic adjustments, and somehow you think he's going to change his mo with QB's?

Fortunately, fate could be on Jets fans side this time? McCown has always been a walking injury and a horrible QB. I guarantee his luck runs out eventually and he returns to form or he ends up on season ending IR? Either way at that point, Toilets hand is forced and a new face gets a shot.

LAJet, boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  8. Mainejet

I didn't say I agreed with it. I just know how Toilet thinks.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. boozer32

Especially with the way Funchess abused the corners today.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. boozer32

So far Mac has failed to either draft the right young QB or Bowles can't develope them.

Yes and Yes!!!

11. boozer32

Playing forms chemistry and right now McCown is hogging all that up. His time is over and so is the season. Enough time to form chemistry with someone else besides McCown because he blew the game today with a stupid avoidable fumble.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Except they can't play. Even Mehta knows as I read in the Daily News today. Relax, when the season is over they will use their large cap space to add a big receiver, offensive lineman or two and maybe a D back. A young QB will be drafted and McCown will break him in. Watch or don't watch the last five. Rebuilding is hard for fans but it's the only way to get better.

13. boozer32

Usually Mehta & Cimini are the whipping boys of the entire New York Jets fanbase. Glad to know they are in high esteem now. You would have to have some resemblance of a team to attract free agents. Look at what happened the last time the Jets went crazy with the dough. None of them are on the team except Skrine and he's really, really awful. A rebuild would have Petty playing, this is a wreck.

hornblower and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I think Metha is a horse's backside. His personal attacks on players, like Geno Smith, and even Doug. Marrone have no place on the sports page. The fact that he reports on something everyone already knows is certainly no credit to him.

15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah but what about the guys who didn't start day 1 like Eli and Rodgers. QB development is not one size fits all. It depends on the player simple as that.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like it. Although in my view is more like Maybe and Hell Yes

boozer32 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the idea of a veteran QB getting an offense "ready" for a young or rookie QB is preposterous and lacking in any kind of common sense or logic. Every QB is different. Each has a different cadence at the LOS, each handles the huddle differently, each has a different leadership style, each has a different relationship with their offensive teammates, each favors different plays, each has a different way in which he throws the ball, each has a different ball placement and accuracy, etc. All playing a veteran accomplishes is that it: 1) gets the offense used to the way the veteran QB does things so that when the young QB eventually plays, the offense has to take a step back while it undergoes an adjustment period; and 2) delays or has a negative impact on the development of the young QB and the offense in general. Not only does the young QB not get the playing time he needs, but he also isn't getting the practice reps he needs to learn and develop chemistry with his offensive teammates. We all know that once the regular season begins, the backup QB gets few reps in practice. IMO on rebuilding teams the offense needs to grow together, especially when they have a new OC. As far as I'm concerned this whole year has been an effing waste.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  18. Red Menace

I agree wholeheartedly, the QB position has to be purged with the likes of Revis, Mangold, Harris...etc

If they are willing to let Lee, Adams, Mayes, Anderson, Shell, go through growing pains as they develope, then you allow Petty or Hack to go through the same growing pains with the team.

No one will convince me that Petty or even Hack could have not won 4 games for the jets this year as they developed and gained experience.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's amazing people still think Petty or Hack can do anything here. Coaching staff has seen these guys practice for 2+ years. If they were able to show something, one of them would've easily outperformed McCown in camp. 400th time, Mac all over the country scouting QBs. The writing was on the wall.

Take Petty's name out and replace it with Brett Ratliff and it's the same ol story. Cut bait and move on.

tbruner12, FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  20. Red Menace

This is a legitimate point, the only caveat with these 2 QBs is who they were backing up.

Rodgers was sitting behind Farve and Eli was backing up Kurt Warner, as a fan I would not be calling for a young QB to be developed over those 2 guys.

The Jets have Mcown, he's no Farve or Warner and this rebuild process that the jets are asking the fans to trust is about developing as many of the young guys as they can.

So it's not unreasonable to ask that they let the young QB go through the same developmental process as they have allowed Lee to go through.

Think about Lee, he looked so bad out there and the jets had Bruce Carter who they could have used in his place, instead Bowles sucked it up and allowed Lee to go through the ups and down of learning, and it finally seemed to have worked, Lee is still not Demario Davis at this point but he has improved remarkably up to this point in season.

Bowles has to do the same with any young QB or player for that matter, he has to deal with the ups and downs of a young player until the game slows down for such player.