Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't believe that a QB of their liking will be there, maybe Jets end up with 6 wins putting them at maybe 7th or 8th in first round.

Leaving them to select a LT or maybe an OLB, the problem with next years draft is there are no top OLB to be had.

The way it looks, jets might end up with no top QB, LT, and a choice of questionable OLB to chose from. Dare I say it, they may have go with DE again.

FA is complicated because players jets want may not want to play for them. They might be stuck with Johnson.

#141 Red Menace, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I think everybody can agree with 101's post, and list. Mac has stated his fundamental philosophy many times now. He looks at FA as a tool to fill needs and the draft as a talent pool. Now it remains to be seen in what way he does this. I'm sure that the scouting is going on as we speak.
    I don't really believe the idea about players not wanting to sign here. We have one of the best facilities, and a whole bunch of guys that may very well be an attraction to a FA. But the bottom line is the $ most of the time.

Depending on their assessment of all our guys on the roster, and the FA's that will be available, is what will dictate things.

In my opinion a blue chip quality talent is the surest fastest way to make the roster better. Doesn't matter what position. Now we wait and see what Mac & Co. do. Another poster has stressed a few times that Mac may be patient and actually do this looking ahead to '19 also. But imo a few more good players and they could start to be very competitive all season next year.

I doubt Mac will reach in the draft for a perceived positional need. He'll stay true to who he thinks is the guy that could advance the team with his talent. I think you have to try and score on top players first and sort things out later. If he could somehow do that with a player that also fills a need all the better. But one elite playmaker regardless of position wins games for you.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I thought I saw this already

The Waterboy likes this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I shook my head when we drafted safeties with th the first 2 picks. Heck it may all work out. So far a success with first two picks!!! Finally!!! That said Mac should follow the same philosophy, draft same position players back to back. Maybe he s got something...:)

BacktoQueens and Royal Tee like this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Back to back DE's incoming!!

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we drafted back to back OLBs I would not complain. A solid pass rush and a couple half decent CBS would make this defense elite.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd love to see 2 Olineman like 2006...
    depends on how the draft shakes out tho. you have to be fluid.

There had to have been a moment in that draft room last year, where they all looked at each other and thought 'holy shit we're about to draft back to back safeties, this better work out'. lol.
    there's no way they thought that's how it would go.

MDJets and phubbadaman like this.
  8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I hope you're right and he does the right thing. What leaves a bad taste in our mouths is him reaching for Hack when a) he didn't have to b) they were considering taking Dak Prescott in many of the pre-draft write ups I saw and C) No other team thought Hack could succeed after regressing badly showing awful form etc. That is awful scouting of a kid with major flaws and no positives to make anyone think he was worthy of a 2nd round pick.

That debacle just cannot happen again. We don't know if it was him believing his scouting dept or if he over-ruled them and picked Hack. I like a lot of what he's done but this FA period and draft it's time for him to put on his big boy pants and show he's capable of putting together a sustainable winning team and not reaching to make dumb picks.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You got solid proof for any of that ?

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets draft offensive skill players early when they can keep drafting defense? Stick to the formula that's led to 6 straight seasons of no playoffs.

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

?? If anyone knew which it was it would have been noted in media or I would have said xx happened. There are 2 likely choices, pick the one you like but either way he either ignored his scouts which is on him or he believed them and they should have been fired. Neither is a good scenario.

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am with you. But I think we can do that in mid rounds.

13. K'OB

Also Prescott ?

I can't remember reading anything about him being on our wish list, hell he can't have been on many wish lists given his position in the draft.

Still it does seem like a bit of a stretch all round just so you can have another dig at Mac's drafting tbh.

Gonna be a long time to until draft night :rolleyes:

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I never saw anything to suggest that the Jets were considering taking Dak Prescott, but even if there was such an article, more than likely, unless it was a direct quote from Mac (which probably would have been a smokescreen), it was merely speculation by the sportswriter.

Saying that Hack had no positives is flat out wrong. He has prototypical size, a cannon for an arm, is mobile, and most importantly, was said to have very high football IQ.

#154 NCJetsfan, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    K'OB likes this.
  15. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. For better or worse that's our GM. And honestly, I think the BPA approach for the most part has worked in the Jets favor?

What we have learned thus far about our GM is that he always takes the BPA. He never reaches for need. He's also taken two QB's in the draft so far and they both suck. I suppose Petty could turn out to be decent depth, but Hack is the worst QB I've ever seen.

We're going to have to trust that dingbat when he selects yet another QB in the 2018 draft.

16. K'OB

[​IMG]

boozer32 and Walt White like this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Defense Wins Championships

Dierking likes this.
  18. This maybe irrational,stubborn & short sighted..but if we go into next season w.o an answer at QB or at the very least a dynamic offensive skill presence it is inexcuseable..and that includes going OL.

I’m tired of a limited passing attack that is lifeless in the 2nd half against elite competition

boozer32 likes this.
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

:D

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Wow if what U posted is true & he took Hack over Dak because he thought Hack at that time was the BPA then we are poo-poo up to our eyes with MCC as our GM :mad:

Yankjetfan likes this.