Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yep, a lot of titties and other naughty bits late 60s/early 70s. There used to be a GREAT website: Bad Cinema Diary. I ADORED that place. Movie reviews of the best of the crappiest. The guy that hosted it just got kinda tired of doing it and paying for it - although he never asked for donations - but it was a scream back in the day. Mostly horror flicks (bad ones), sci-fi (bad ones), road movies (bad ones), good girls gone bad (bad ones), witch movies (bad ones), and Blaxploitation. The site is still up, but the glory days are long gone. Sigh. I don't think he's done anything significant with it in at least three years. You can't even go back to old posts from 2006, but he used to have a rating system and a key: Stars (obvious), toilets, cartoon boobs, and tubes of blood. So, you'd read a review and then look at the footnotes. For example, 4 toilets (must be high as F to watch), 1 set of cartoon boobs (a little bit of skin), 2 tubes of blood (moderate gore). You get the picture.

Br4d likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Always thought Altered States was a great creepshow of a movie.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You can certainly tell the age gaps here with the references. I come from the Creature Feature/Chiller Theatre generation. We had great stuff like: "The Outer Limits", "One Step Beyond", "The Original Twilight Zone", "Monstervision (TBS) ".. Friday nites used to be great. Just pop some jiffypop (before microwaves), kick back in the dark and watch your 19" color TV. :)

Br4d likes this.
  4. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Top 5 in no particular order:
    1) Halloween (1978): Literally my favourite movie ever. I loved everything about it when i first saw it and still do.

Scream: Anyone who watches horror movies eventually has the conversation of "what would you do in that sitation?" For them to turn that into a movie, and a good one at that, deserves its props.

Sleepy Hollow: The Disney cartoon version was a huge part of halloween as a kid. i also have a guilty pleasure type love for Hammer Studios. To see this story with such a hammer influence makes for a great watch.

Night of the living dead (1968): A local channel used to play this late night all the time. One of the first movies that really pulled me into horror movies. I must have watched this a dozen times in my pre teen years.

The Universal Monster movies: Respect to the originals. You need to be in the right mood but when you are these hit the spot.

Side note: i am loving this thread, keep the suggestions coming.

5. Dierking

From the "so bad its good" file:

This was a late night tv movie that gave me nightmares as a tyke:

6. jetophile

^Haha, 'Satan's Triangle', awesome. I loved all of the horror made for TV movies. Then you'd go to school the next day and everyone would would be freaked out with whatever was on. Good times.
    'Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby' with Patty Duke Astin
    'The Stranger Within' with Barbara Eden

EDIT & P.S.: Yes, I saw it, btw, but not late night. I saw it when it first aired. It was movie of the week or something.

#26 jetophile, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  7. jetophile

'Sisters' - Brian De Palma. The ending was a direct ripoff of 'Repulsion', but I love me some conjoined freaks and definitely worth a watch. Just have patience for Jennifer Salt. She's awful. I do really like De Palma, though. Remind me to tell you folks my 'Dressed to Kill' story.
    'Suspiria' - Dario Argento. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. A film restoration company did a labor of love on it, and it may hit U.S. theaters (rubs hands together). Guillermo Del Toro is really pushing for the film to be more widely recognized, especially since a remake is coming out some time in 2018. It's a shame that Argento ran out of gas, but some of his films are absolutely amazing. 'Dark Red (Profondo Rosso)' is great. I prefer to just watch it in straight out Italian. It's somehow more over the top that way. I'm a big Fulci fan, too.
    'They Live' - John Carpenter. Great movie.

HAHAHAHA.

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. jetophile

'The Omen' (F the remake, stay away). Don't forget the words to the theme song, now. "Vamoos, rubber boots . . ."
    'The Omen II' - I looked up Mark's murder not long ago, and one of the comments was, "Oh, hi, Mark." I laughed for well over five minutes.
    'Trog' - You haven't lived until you see this movie.. 'Trog' was an old avatar. In fact, 99.9% of my old avatars were horror related. I think I'll start resurrecting them all. Movie companies used to make condensed shorts in 8mm. I still have 'Trog' (also 'The Mummy', with Karloff). We used to F around with 'Trog' and play it backwards. There wasn't any sound, but we would laugh like hell because Joan Crawford was screaming, "GORT!"

You're so very welcome. :)

9. jetophile

And you better be nice to me. Just giving you advance notice. ; )

I used to love 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents', too. They had a very, very similar episode, can't remember the title of it at the moment. The doll looked just like Annabelle, which is probably where they got it from re: The Conjuring. That movie was OK, but once it got to the possession part, I almost nodded off in my Pepsi. Speaking of The Twilight Zone, time for a fun fact. My friend, Mark, my childhood horror flick partner in crime, his Dad went to HS with Rod Serling. Serling, a Jew born on Christmas Day and a badass Marine.

Serling was also an extremely underrated writer in his own, er, right. So many of Serling's short stories are fabulous (as well as overlooked), and Serling's contribution to the paranoia surrounding gov't (rightfully so) and mob mentality will never fade. I loved 'Night Gallery, too'. What a great short-lived show, but it folded, oddly enough, because he unwisely gave up creative control. I used to have a sublime Serling quote in my sig years ago: "If you want to prove that God is not dead, first prove that man is alive." Rock on in highly probable nothingness, Mr. Serling, rock on.

EDIT & P.S.: Serling pushed hard - and won - on a lot of things. Mainly, racism.

#29 jetophile, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Food of the Gods
    Children shouldn't play with dead things
    Without Warning

I could be here all day...I love horror ficks

11. jetophile

Creature Features! Yesssss! Mostly on Saturdays, got my first introduction to 'War of the Gargantuas'. The words are still stuck in my throat. 'The Crawling Eye', haha, I told you I know them all. The guy from 'F Troop' was in it. SCI FI channel used to be S-O-O-O-O-O much better back in the day. Now that it's Syfy, eh. Anyway, they used to have something called 'Anatomically Incorrect Week', movies shown all week for a full week until my fave day of the year (today). The commercial for it was the BEST. Some guy in a death metal voice with a death metal band in the background "singing" 'ANATOMICALLY INCORRECT WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!' And then you'd get flicks like 'The Crawling Eye', 'The Alligator People', 'The Funhouse', and 'C.H.U.D'. Sigh.

My cable carrier (wait until I really explain this shit, it's almost as bad as the WSS saga) killed the 'Chiller' channel. F you, how the hell was that channel not making you money?! It was fair to middling in the first place, but shit like Hallmark is a mainstay. Anyway, if I had some serious financial know how, I would start a HORROR channel. Yep, that's what it would be called: THE HORROR CHANNEL (THC - ha - HOR, something like that for short). I can't believe that no-one has done this. Probably shouldn't have said that out loud, because I can already feel myself being raped like Julie Christie in 'Demon Seed'.

Br4d likes this.
  12. jetophile

The People Under the Stairs ('Stranger Things' ripped it off in a ton of ways)
    Dr. Terror's House of Horrors

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  13. jetophile

Tales From The Crypt - "And then . . ?" "Perhaps . . . you?" Who knew Sir Ralph Richardson was that good?
    Scream Blacula Scream - it was so low budget, no-one bothered with punctuation. I love William Marsall, though. Dearly. What a great, cool dude he was.

14. jetophile

Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black. Don't bother with the rest of it, and do yourself a huge favor and don't watch the remake with Lysette Anthony. It's just not likable. RIP Karen Black - she was really lovely and talented - even though she was a dumb as a rock Scientologist.

15. jetophile

Yep, saw it the movies. The chimp knuckling it down the street scene was pretty cool. Very CIA, but he did it to himself.
    'An American Werewolf in London' - well, there went that Dr. Pepper career

#35 jetophile, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  16. Dierking

When I was like six my brother and I went over to our neighbor Susie’s house and there was some schlock on TV that I barely remember except for how it scared me shitless for years.

Some evil alien robots were methodically taking down the humans on earth. I think. They resembled large vacuum cleaners. Little like evil r2d2s. The only scene I vaguely remember was some aged wheelchair-bound geezer holding them off with a cache of hand grenades. Until he wasn’t anymore. I think he ended up going down an elevator shaft.

That’s really all I remember but it stayed with me all this time. Scarred for life. This was well before the Mud Bowl.

I’m really not responsible for my antisocial tendencies.

17. jetophile

You must find this at all costs!

#37 jetophile, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  18. jetophile

Near Dark - I love me some Bill Paxton. I detest the ending, but a world of fun.

19. jetophile

The Island of Lost Souls - haha, when there was the push for Ty Law ages ago, there were at least 5 threads that went on for pages. Guess who started this part? WHAT IS THE LAW? Not to run on all fours. WHAT IS THE LAW? Not to eat meat. Are we not men? No, we are DEVO! I know, I really had it back then. Anyway, great relevant flick that didn't even know how shitty we really are to all beings. I love this flick. It's also when animal experimentation in the worst of ways was coming into its own, and it's very sad and upsetting. Not that anyone gave a crap. Not much racism hinted at in this movie, lol. People at the time didn't even know what it meant.

Don't ever watch 'The Island of Dr. Moreau'. Marlon Brando was in serious need of a paycheck and it's flat out bad. It's not nearly bad enough to be great. Avoid.

20. jetophile

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul. Those Coffin Joe flicks are not for the nervous. YAY! A trick or treater! OK, bye until later. I've got to man the ship. Happy Halloween everyone!

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.