Training Camp Cuts - Possible Pickups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

^This. Why is it so difficult for most in this place to get behind this?

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Every year there's a terrible young Jets player (or 3) with no business on an NFL field, and every year someone points out this unfortunate situation and is immediately shouted down with cries for patience.

But who can name a player for the jets who eventually justified these cries for patience? Anyone?

Who looked like shit out of the gate for us but then blossomed into a solid contributor?

Bryan Thomas? Maybe? Brian Winters? I'm reaching.

Now think of the long-ass list of guys who sucked at first... and then continued to suck their way right out of the league. I can't even begin.

When it comes to this team, the rookie eye test has proven quite reliable for as long as I can remember. Patience has done us no favors.

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you on "pretty decent job". He made 2 good throws last night, and 1 was a throw out of bounds when he was going to get sacked.

He's a mess, terrible presence in the pocket (doesn't feel for pressure no matter where it is, hardly ever steps up to get out of trouble, takes way too much time...) locks on 1 target, his "touch" passes are atrocious, his timing routes are off (I would say it's cause he's not used to his WRs, but he's been playing with these guys for months).

Considering the level of competition, I'd categorize Hack as less than mediocre last night. Typically I stay fairly positive with young players, but he's just not good at this juncture. Brooks Bollinger looked better than he has. Every negative connotation that college scouts pegged him with have come to fruition this preseason. If they didn't waste a 2nd round pick on him, he would have been cut or landed on the PS. Honestly, he belongs on the PS, I have 0 doubt he makes it through waivers.

PulseJet likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The kid is getting his first real shot at some playing time ... not saying you don't make valid points but I'm not ready to just write the kid off like a lot are .
    I don't know what he's got but I'd like to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajax and LarryAlRalph like this.
  5. rockyusmc2003

He might be a work in progress, but he's got way too many cons to pros. The arm is STRONG, but the arm talent is far from developed. Things that worry me in a QB are when simple things can't be corrected, and when they lack that "make it happen" attribute. Especially when it comes to simple plays that require no thinking and more instinct.

For example, Dane Evans TD last night, that was a "make it happen" play. He got out of trouble, had an open receiver and threw a weird duck pass. From what I've seen, Hack can't do that. If Hack had that identical play, he would have either thrown a laser bolt that would have been incomplete, or been sacked/ran out of bounds.

Am I throwing in the towel on him, not totally. Do I think he belongs on the PS, astounding yes.

PulseJet likes this.
  6. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

wasn't funny the first time, and still isn't...

7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

With this year's Oline, we'll be scouring the waiver wires for another qb at some point. The qbs will be resembling the cast of the Walking Dead.

8. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

The Jets should have a master board for the other 31 teams. That way they can follow any possible OL pickups that won't be on a 53 man roster. Other positions like defensive outside rushers, back up and special team players like good punt and kickoff return men are also worth watching for possible upgrades.

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Trick is to find those teams with deepness in OL or WR and see who gets the axe. Emmet Cleary (RT) of Dallas who's had a nice camp but may be the odd man out, should be under the Jets radar.

10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Heaven help the Jets QBs if they can't come up with more help on the OL......:(

FlaJet, matt robinson 17 and K'OB like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mac this Saturday night
    [​IMG]

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Waterboy and FJF like this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Kind of where I am too. I see a bit of a robot quality to Hack. Almost like he is too programmed. Several times on his three and outs Hack immediately dumped off to his outlet who was well short of the 1st down. There was no pass rush and he could have waited a beat to see if his receivers could free themselves up for a big gain. But he just dumped it. It's possible that as the game slows down for him he begins to play more naturally and starts both reading his pocket and keeping his eyes downfield. But he is not there today and has no business being on an active roster until he does.

#153 PulseJet, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    ajax and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

seems like we did good with ealy so far. hopefully we can grab a player or 2

15. Seems like whenever this time of year rolls around we're all sitting on our hands hoping that the front office is gonna prioritize OL & find us quality depth or perhaps even a starter.

Granted this new cutdown structure is Alittle different but I refuse to get my hopes up yet again.Either teams don't let loose anything of value for OLs,the OL talent pool is drastically more shallow than we realize or the front office like usual doesn't prioritize OL upgrades no matter how porous things may seem.

Odds are they'll sign some long shot running back or yet another safety.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why is this the 3rd thread on this topic. I started a thread on this about a week ago. Someone else started a thread with a slightly different title, but same intent, a few days later, and now this. Moderators, please merge the 3 threads.

17. rockyusmc2003

Exactly, I see the robot-esque quality as well.

Long and short of it is, there is a very high probability that all 3 quarterbacks will be playing this year. If last night's shot on McCown (and last week's roll up on Petty) was any indication, it might be sooner than later. So in that case, we'll be seeing these other QBs on the roster anyways!

PulseJet likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

We may never win another game, but at least we can say we've rostered most players to ever enter the league who someone who knows someone has heard of.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. D'Brickashaw Ferguson-Written off as a bust early in yr 2

Bryant Thomas-Written off as a bust incessantly

Chad Pennington-Written off when he didn't become starter early in Herm regime

Adrian jones-Written off after he gave up a sack to Dwight freeney preseason rookie year

Brian Winters-Enough said

Darrelle Revis-Many thought he was flawed after rookie year & that he couldn't cover in patterns

Randy Thomas- Folks were upset when he was drafted over perceived superior OL prospects & bought in to Cimini reports that he couldn't pick up scheme during camp of rookie year

Dewayne Robertson- people forget how badly he was trashed rookie year & how far he came years 2 & 3 when he & Vilma were best players on D which many forget.

John Abraham-People wanted Bubba franks instead & thought he was a part time pass rusher after year 1.

Sione Pouha-Struggled his rookie year & people assumed w his age he had no place

Marcus Coleman-No one ever thought he'd put it together heading into Parcells regime

I could go on but I think I made my point.Jets picks usually bust..no doubt but it ony feeds the beast when the fan base collectively writes young players off before they even have a chance to settle in & improve from coaching.

FJF likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following are OL who have already been cut. Edited with latest info I can find.

OTs
    Will Freeman - Falcons
    Kevin Graf - Falcons
    Justin Murray - Broncos
    Cyrus Kouandjio - Lions
    Victor Salako - Eagles
    Khalif Barnes - Saints
    Jerrry Ugokwe - Saints
    Eric Winston - Bengals
    Travis Averill - Falcons
    Larson Graham - Falcons
    T.J. Clemmings - Vikings
    John Kling - Redskins
    Erik Austell - Texans
    Ruben Carter - Steelers
    Jah Reid - Chiefs
    Blaine Causell - Panthers
    Greg Pyke - Bills
    Roubbens Joseph - Ravens

OGs
    Karim Barton, Bills
    Blake Muir - Colts
    Jarrell Broxton - Ravens
    Jarrod Pughsley - Ravens
    Richard Levy - Giants
    Connor Bozick - Lions
    Geoff Gray - Packers
    Matt Rotheram - Lions
    Oni Omoile - Raiders
    Jake Simonich - Titans
    Marc Spelman - TItans
    Kitt O'Brien, Browns
    Jon Greco - Browns
    Mike Liedtke - Bucs

Cs
    Jeremy Zuttah, Ravens
    Gabe Ikard, Browns
    Brian Folkerts - Panthers
    Tim Barnes - Niners
    Tyler Orlosky - Eagles
    Josh Allen - Bucs
    Craig Urbik - Dolphins
    Derrick Nelson - Ravens

OG/OT
    De'Ondre Wesley - Ravens

OL
    David Yankey - Panthers
    D.J. Tialavea - Falcons
    Andreas Knappe - Falcons
    Norman Price - Niners
    Andrew Lauderdale - Niners
    Michael Bowie - Giants
    Corin Brooks - Giants
    Ruben Carter - Cowboys
    Malcolm Bunche - Jaguars
    Demetrius Rhaney - Jaguars
    Cam Johnson - Browns

FBs*
    Lorenzo Taliaferro - Ravens
    Tyler Renew - Falcons
    Tyler McCloskey - Niners
    Marquez Williams - Jaguars
    Darrel Young - Panthers

*Since one of the main responsibilities of FBs is to block, I'll include them as well.

#160 NCJetsfan, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    rockyusmc2003 likes this.