Training Camp Cuts - Possible Pickups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

he might be gone anyway, but possibly

#81 slimjasi, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Macc doesn't cut any of his draft choices. Kony has a one game audition and if he doesn't light it up next week he'll be on the street again.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You're right we do need help along the O line but we still need to improve the team as a whole, also...in that regard this is a good pickup by Macc.
    There really aren't many good O lineman on the street for us to sign so I can't see being unhappy about this.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How do you know that? Are you saying Macc couldn't find ONE Oline guy out of all the former players and undrafted college players in the continental US? Is it more likely that Macc really didn't look that hard? Could it be that this CS has no idea what to look for in a OL guy?? How about this.. Perhaps the OLine coach simply sucks??

Seems that whenever we need a d-guy, they fall out of the sky but when we need an O-line guy, they all simply vanish into some black hole. We can find Wr's that don't ever amount to anything, but we can't find a RT/RG. Evidence points to the OLine NOT being an priority for this team. Not even in the draft..

#84 Cman68, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is an exceptionally bad post. Imagine thinking this.

FJF likes this.
  6. Panthers got a 2nd round pick for him so I don't exactly equate that to being dropped.There have been plenty of productive well respected NFL talents who have clashed w hooded Dracula in Foxboro & not lost any credibility. He's only signed through 17 so if he dogs it he's gone w little consequence

Hes also at least 20 lbs lighter than any other D-Lineman on this team.Hes more of an edge player & could instantly be the best 2 way edge we have on the team.

He's not elite by any means but he can be very solid

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Panthers got a late 2nd round pick and the Pats got their early 3rd round pick. Basically, the Pats got Ealy for letting the Panthers move up 8 spots in the draft.

That said, I thought he was gonna be a good pick-up. He got into it with Belichick first practice and that made me nervous. Rivera said at the time of the trade that Ealy could be really good for the Pats IF he was willing to do what he was told. Apparently he has his own ideas about how he should be used. I guess that's why he sat most of the second half of last year in Carolina. BB makes mistakes as much as the next coach/GM, but he won't let his pride stop him from dropping them quickly.

The guy is a talent and maybe the Jets will use him the way he wants to be used.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ealy is not a 3-4 OLB... at least not full time. He can't set the edge in the run game. That's why NE cut him this early despite costing quite a bit to get him. He looks like he should be able to as he is big and long but idk if he is weak or whatever, but he can't set the edge.

He played at Missouri where they kind of have a funky defense where they just have their DL go after the backfield and not worry about the running game or eating up blockers. So that might've hurt him as an edge OLB too.

Ealy is ideal as a DE in a traditional 4-3 where he can play with his hand in the dirt and just go after the QB. He will be playing out of position here and likely just a part time pass rusher if he sticks. He is Sheldon Richardson's cousin and he's a weaker version of Richardson. Both out of position at OLB and should be playing down inside.

I agree with the other poster that there actually is a solid chance he gets cut at final cut-downs after a brief try out here. Simply because we have too many guys like him

9. We don't play a full time 3-4 though..do we? its something the team generally uses in base early down situations.Jets theoretically have other players who set the edge quite well in Jenkins,Thomas & perhaps even Martin.Im also not completely in agreement that Ealy flat out can't set the edge..maybe not full time..but a handful of times a game why not?

In most other cases the jets are playing some sort of 4 down men type look.The problem has been finding a guy like Ealy who can bend the edge w his hand in the dirt. This may even allow the Jets to eliminate even more 3-4 type looks.

I'm pretty shocked at how much people are ragging on this move.I get he's not a franchise QB or a super star but this is someone who could be our best edge rusher & could very easily be in the starting 11 who came directly from our hated rival.Im not surprised to hear patriot fans taking shots at the move..but are we Jet fans so down in the dumps that we can't find a single positive?

10. Talliafarro is a guy w decent size & pad level who can catch the ball out of the backfield.Wouldnt mind adding him..I'm not familiar w artis-Payne so unsure who'd be better.

Cody Latimur or Sammie Coates both would make sense to add to the WR competition.

Also looks like they'll be some OL options

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, Buffalo refusing to be out-tanked by us.

Peebag likes this.
  12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

OL DJ Fluker was a previous first round pick. In other teams he may not stick but he may be an upgrade here.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. nicg4360

With the number of trades the jets are making I have a feeling there will be alot of pickups after teams make their cuts.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed Flucker can't be worse then what we have on this roster. He can play multiple positions on the line.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I just read somewhere that Carlos Hyde was tearing it up this pre-season. I haven't seen any of those games, but if it's true, I can't imagine they'll part with him.

Kyle Fuller could be a good fit here as an outside corner.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. nicg4360

I think they really need to keep an eye on experienced centers that become available.

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

O line , like wins are so over rated....
    :D

Cman68 likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No team would trade for Wilkerson with his monster contract unless Jets offered to be on the hook for it. Sheldon Richardson is on another level compared to Wilkerson but unfortunately one will be traded while the other gets to collect millions with minimal production.

I don't even know if its because of the leg injury but Wilkerson just isn't what he used to be.

LAJet likes this.
  19. boozer32

Sounds like Coples 2.0.

20. boozer32

All of it or some of it? Imagine thinking that.