Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Would've been nice if we had a vet like Decker to put him in his place.

FJF likes this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Of course that was not even the point.

What we know for sure is, even Brady would have hard time running a functional offense with the Jets offense crew last year, coupled with that moron Failey.

If that's the case, how was Petty supposed to show that potential, given the circumstance? I don't see a point in there. Remember, the lion's share of reps during the training camp went to Fitzpathetic. So, with the limited reps, surrounded by sub-par supporting cast, forced into the lineup mid-season, somehow Petty was suppose to rise above and show the world what kind of a talent he is? Are you saying such assertion makes sense whatsoever? How?

3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I agree with you.
    Petty can be the best on our roster, who knows?
    Last season he was placed in a very bad situation. if any excuse can be made for Hack in college because of a cruddy line, then we can double that for Petty last season due to a shit line and his skill players being injured or just plain quit for the season.
    Petty has all the skills necessary, didn't need so much fundamental review coming out of college, and put up much better numbers than Hack in D-1.
    I'm sure the coaching change hurt Hack, and maybe the line, but his Freshman year looked like it depended on A. Robinson.
    97 receptions, over 1,400 yards, and 6 Td's. It must be noted that the previous QB at Penn St., had Robinsons stats looking like this... 77 Rec., 1,3050 yards an 11TD's as a sophomore.
    Hack, 231-392 comp/att, 20-10 tTD's/Intc, 2,900 yards. Robinson was almost half Hacks yardage and completions. I realize he was just a freshman, And he needed to rely on a receiver, but Hacks next two season sucked. Against good teams Hack played ok, while Robinson's stats were pretty damn good. Hacks sophomore season sucked nuts, and his last year was better.
    Besides a good line, both our young QB's would be better off with a stud RB. IMHO
    I HOPE DONAHUE IS THE 2nd COMING OF GREENE OR LT!
    Maybe Greene can not only help him but all other LB'ers.
    I can't wait for Pre-season GM-1!

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Truth. The offense was similar to what Geno Smith ran. 3 receivers on one side, bubble, screen, crossing route and fly pattern. If the bubble or crossed aren't open immediately
    chuck it deep. He throws a nice deep ball.

I can't remember any quarterback coming out of these systems to have any sort of sustainable success in the pros. Maybe Cam Newton but he also opens up the entire offense with his elite running ability. And they've tailored the offense to fit his strengths. Auburn runs more of a run heavy option type of offensive set rather than the Air Raid though.

That's why they took Hackenberg. He looked shitty in the Air Raid wide open offense because he held onto the ball trying to make reads. It's not an offense that's made for a quarterback that wants to take his drop and find the open man based on the reads. It's an offense that tries to create an open man immediately regardless of where the defense is.

His football IQ is obviously way above most coming out of college. But he has to put that together with an accurate arm which he hasn't shown until sort of up until this point in camp. He also needs to rid himself of the bad habit of staring at the rush which comes from being sacked so much and leads to happy feet.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Petty didn't demonstrate the ability to read defenses though. He's a dime a dozen in Air Raid quarterbacks. Tommy Chang flung the ball all over the field and broke records easily too.

Petty does have all the physical assets. But so do a dozen of other Air Raid quarterbacks. Pat Mahomes will be a true test for that offense to the pros as he seems to have the best arm talent that's been seen in a long ass time. I still don't know if that'll make him successful if he can't combine it with the mental.

The problem in transition is that the linebackers and strong safeties are that much faster in the NFL. They get under routes incredibly quick. Whereas a lot of college linebackers can be only run stoppers or pass rushers. The versatility of these two positions is what young quarterbacks struggle with. Strong safeties in the NFL have coverage ability moving laterally and backwards. They're often always towards the line of scrimmage players in college.

FJF likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Aside from getting Mahomes, this would've been my next choice. What a difference a stud RB would make for these guys.

tbruner12 likes this.
  7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Jared Goff will be the real test not Pat Mahomes. Goff was one of the best QB prospects I ever saw, and he really struggled as a rookie last year.

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

So you've been scouting QB's for what...2-3 years?

All Gas No Shake, Walt White and FJF like this.
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lol

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the threads we would have had to endure if he was following football for longer? Half this website might have dropped football and taken up following professional bog snorkeling

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What's this in reference to? Supposedly, Anderson worked out with Marshall (not Jalin) this offseason, and Marshall told him that he needed to keep working to improve and take nothing for granted. That's why Anderson worked to build up his leg strength and added 10 pounds of muscle.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree. Anquan Boldin is out there looking for work. I'd bring him in on a one year deal. That WR room needs a vet and Boldin is still a reliable target

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I'd be in for this. After ps game 2 if it still looks bad I would definitely call him. Bold in has always been a pro

14. 101GangGreen101

It's in reference to the fact that we need a veteran receiver to help the young guys ON the field during TC / Season. Jets should've kept Decker, he made things easier for QBs. The receivers in training camp haven't done a very good job.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

Here is the point. Brady IS the system. Brady would tell Failey exactly what needs to be done. Did Favre not do the same thing with Schotty in 08? He told his system to eat a dick. They make players around them better. The Jets would easily be a competitive team with Brady at the helm. How many catches you think Forte and Powell would get? Crap, they could both get 50 with him. You've seen how he uses James White and those pass catching backs. That takes the heat off the offensive line.

The lack of reps have nothing to do with this discussion. Before I continue, I agree with you, it would've been nice to see Petty get more reps but the fact of the matter is, with the lack of reps Hack got he still goes through his progressions and has a better command of the offense. That was evident his FIRST preseason game when he completely scanned the field. Petty does not do that, and he may never do so. He is over-reliant in his arm. Doesn't check down to the RBs, just over targets Anderson. You need to show more in this league.

As a young QB, you control what you can control on the field. If you are going to be involved in a chess match at least try and make some moves to get you in the right position. We make this excuse about every young QB, some either got it or they don't. Petty at the age of 26 is still not ready to play in this league. It's always fuck it go deep or scramble around. But at the same time he has happy feet. Eventually you need to make a jump and prove it. No sense in making constant excuses.

FJF likes this.
  16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Sorry your wrong. Petty checks down and works through his progressions. He also audibles and changes the play at the line of scrimmage. Game film reviews of his starts last year pointed that out repeatedly. You should have a look at the Jets Nation film reviews. Here is one of them.

http://www.jetnation.com/2016/12/21/jets-passing-offense-film-review-week-15-dolphins-petty-nation/

He needs to improve, but look what he had to work with last year. I think its premature to pull the plug on this guy and a mistake by the Jets to give the fragile 38 year old vet all the starting reps. All these guys are going to start at some time this year so might as well get them equal August reps.

17. 101GangGreen101

So 1 game makes up for everything else in that 4 game stretch? He still threw 2 INTs that game, and not once in that article did it go into those details. Thank God he had Powell that game. He made bad reads, made good ones too but the one that got him killed that GIF, clearly he should've checked down instead of going for the home run hit throw down the field. Or switched to max protection.

At the end of the day the 38 year old ain't getting the job done, Petty unfortunately will take the worst hit from this. To me, I don't see him anything more then a back-up. I personally hope we don't see all 3 QBs this year, but it's probably inevitable.

18. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I cited one game, but if you preview the website you will see they had "good Petty" reviews and "bad Petty" reviews separate for each game he played. Have a look... The bad IS bad, but my response and link was rebuttal to your repeated statements that Petty doesn't read his progressions which is just NOT true.

Read today's Cimini article about yesterday's practice and the QB's. Reading between the lines, in very limited work Petty performed best. Hack holds the ball too long in TC. What will he do in a real game? Give me a break. He isn't ready and won't be for another year.

Fucking Bowles is gonna get fired because he is giving the mediocre washout QB all the first team reps. And when McCown gets wiped out Hack and Petty won't have enough work in with the 1's and will struggle. He is doing it wrong.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...ts-quarterbacks-and-everybody-else-on-offense

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

https://www.ninersnation.com/2016/1...ilm-analysis-breakdown-recap-bryce-petty-sack

Young QBs tend to hold onto the ball too long. Hack does hold onto the ball a little too long, perhaps looking for an open receiver. Petty does it too. I would like to see Petty and Hack get the majority of the team's reps, the offense cannot get any worse then what is it and Bowles is wasting his time with McCown. But hey, he's going to be the one that gets fired for making a poor choice.

We maybe in a different camp in terms of who we believe can be that guy, but at the end of the day both QBs are getting shafted and could use a lot more of those first team reps. That I think we can agree on and personally I am souring on Bowles in terms of that.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

This was an unexpected find:

1 part of this player that looks better than advertised (Dan Leberfeld)

When he came out of college, there were a lot of questions marks about this player’s ability in this area.

Tight end Jordan Leggett’s receiving skills weren’t in question during the draft process, but some scouts wondered about his blocking.

But watching him today in practice, I really saw him getting after defenders as an in-line blocker.

Aside from good technique, you also have to have the desire to do it, to really get after defenders.

Leggett was really getting after defenders today.

In a matter of a few minutes, I saw him lock up OLB Corey Lemonier and then OLB Freddie Bishop.

If he continues to block this way, he could turn out to be a fifth-round steal for the Jets.

Because he’s already very good at the receiving part of the job.