The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry Cman, but I disagree and don't follow your reasoning. Petty may have indeed been sacrificed to save Hack last season, but I think it was more of a matter that Hack wasn't going to play regardless, and Petty was more ready to see the field than Hack.

I don't know if the organization has really moved on from Petty or if that's just the media's BS. I have seen no statement from Mac, Bowles, Morton or Bates to indicate that is the case. In fact, they've said the opposite that it will be an open competition, and that each of the 3 QBs will get a chance. If Petty gets few snaps in TC, then we'll know that you're right about that point, but I'll be surprised if that's the case.

Why would Mac release Petty? That makes zero sense. McCown can't stay healthy and finish a season. Going into a season with just 2 QBs would be insane even if both Hack and Petty were experienced QBs and capable of playing well immediately. It's not a disservice to Petty. Teams don't think in those terms. They think about the team and its future. Their concern isn't about Petty's career, it's about what's best for the team.

#61 NCJetsfan, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The only pick you can say panned out if you put down the green colored glasses is Leonard Williams. The rest are question marks or busts.

Jets69 and FJF like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As I try to capture everyone thoughts entering the season a couple of common themes don't resonate all that well with me.
    1- Petty is simply not that good, in fact he sucks. I'm not at all convinced that he can not develop into a fair back up if nothing else. Last year he showed me some moxie behind a putrid line and a suck ass game plan. He out shined Fitz while the team was collapsing around him. I'll take him over Fitz disgraceful salary.
    2- We don't need more than 2 QBs going into the season. Disagree. Way too many unknowns. If Petty is not it then he gets released And replaced. But if he has something we keep his ass.
    3- Timing for Hack to start is now. Hopefully on day one but that's not necessarily the only answer. You want to place him in a position to be successful. One or two games or even four won't make a damned bit of difference. Saviors and miracles are more powerful later than earlier.
    4- The OL is good enough. OL is the bloodline of a good offense. A rookie QB needs more time to react. We need belt and suspenders here. I think we need a lot more beef and bench. It might be our Achilles heal.
    Im totally embracing the notion that this is one hell of an exciting pre season for the Jets.

#63 LAJet, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    NCJetsfan and PulseJet like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

David Carr

Cman68 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Obviously, I disagree. Burris is on his way to panning out, as are Lee, and Jenkins, and it appears that Shell will as well. There's no way that Adams busts. ASJ is also panning out even if he wasn't a draft pick, but Mac still didn't have to sign him as a FA.

Of course, some, or almost all of those players could surprise and not pan out, but when they are all starters or being spoken of as favorites to start, then the picks have panned out imo. If they weren't any good, they wouldn't be in the discussion to start.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but I stand by mine one this basis: If Hack doesn't prove he's better than McCown who is a washed up has been, and Macc burned a 2nd round pick on him, then I think Macc is in trouble, not necessarily going to be fired right away trouble, but his "wiggle room" will be used up. Because at that point, the Jets will be relying on a washed up has been or a guy who was third on the depth chart (Petty), or you continue to throw Hackenberg out there no matter how bad he is. None of those choices are good ones.

Now, do I expect that Petty will fail that badly? No, but if he does, Macc has to take the blame for this giant mistake.

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Everyone says the same thing so they must all be wrong? Kinda like the "everyone but me is crazy" logic.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. K'OB

But not everybody is saying the same thing though, so that logic is fucked before you typed it, I still don't get what you and some of the others get out of being so negative about one of our own players, you have a choice of 3 Hack, McCowan or Petty but my god you rip into Hack like there is no tomorrow and let's face it, you know sweet FA about his accuracy, you can quote all you want about his issues in college and his 5 minutes under centre last preseason, now if you want to slag him off and get your kicks for free, at least wait until you see him not hit his targets in this seasons preseason games and then and only then will you have a point.

It isn't like you are going to get another QB riding to your rescue this season, let it ride and like the rest of us "hope" he can show something, like I said time and time again, we are not blind Hack lovers, just a bunch of fans that don't want or like to see a young kid flamed before he has done anything to at least deserve your scorn.

I would rather be crazy than your poor excuse for a fan tbh

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

No. He hit a reporter with a pass on the sideline remember? That pimple faced click bait artist said so. That never happens, no one EVER gets hit by a sideline pass, even when the receiver runs the wrong route. Everybody knows that. Everybody knows that except Mac. We suck and Hack's a laughing stock. Good thing we have sharpies and people who know football to remind the rest of us of that.

NYJetsO12, Freddy Mondo and K'OB like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Some of those sideline reporters deserve a football in the face. Hack doing us all a favor by tagging those douchebags

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. I said the same thing when that bs got traction. A bullet to the head would be a beautiful thing. Blow the mf up haha

12. NCJetsfan

Good post.

1 - I think it's nuts for posters to say that he sucks and has no chance. Some people are too negative and think they know it all. They think there's only one way a QB can show that he's worthy/capable, and that's immediately. They've yet to see him take one snap in Morton's offense and under Bates' tutelage. If he doesn't prove himself worthy this season, he'll most likely be gone following the season. That's soon enough. In a season that's not likely to produce many victories, why waste cap space cutting him, and then bringing in a more expensive vet

2 - Thinking or saying that we don't need more than 2 QBs is just nuts (I know that you're NOT saying that). Anyone who's watched the NFL for more than a season or two knows that few QBs get through the season unscathed and play every game. This is even more true when one has an OL that's questionable at best, playing in a new offense, has a couple of new starters, and one of the QBs on your roster (who's likely to be the starter at least initially) is older, more injury-prone, and hasn't played a complete season in many years. As Jets fans, we've seen what happens when a team doesn't have enough QBs: Parcells - Vinny/Mirer in 1998, and the 2005 season where the Jets went through 4 QBs in one season due to injuries, and in one game vs. Jacksonville had the starter Chad Pennington and his backup, Jay Fiedler, injured. As a result, the Jets had to re-sign Vinny Testaverded and the rest of the season was split between Brooks Bollinger and Testaverde.

3 - This is spot on. The most important thing is that Hack be successful when he does play, or at least is in the best position to be successful and has the best chance to succeed. Comments like the Jets should stop "babying" him and pronouncements that he's a bust are just dumb imo.

4 - Excellent points here. I think our OL has a chance to surprise us and be better than we thought, but it also could be as bad as some think. It could definitely be our achilles heel. I think it's the biggest question mark on the team. If Beachum can't return to anything resembling his 2014 form, the offense will be in trouble. Ijalana is not the answer at LT. Hopefully, between Shell, Qvale and Ijalana the RT position will be at least average. If Johnson struggles at C, the offense could be royally screwed.

It's definitely going to be an interesting and exciting pre-season and season. Let's hope that it's exciting for the right reasons (players developing and rookies playing very well), rather than because the team is a disaster.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So because I refuse to get my hopes up about a player who hasn't shown anything yet besides a strong arm and good character, I'm the worst kind of fan? Got it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14. K'OB

1 No, it isn't for that reason at all, it is because you constantly slag him off, it is way beyond refusing to get your hopes up, your lot are unwilling to give him a chance, this is what you refuse to understand, it is pointless shitting on the guy constantly until he gives you something to shit on him with, as it stands you hate and we hope.

2 At last something we can agree on, we got there in the end, a slow process but it is over and done with now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is Geno Mania all over again ...someone posted Hack may turn out to be a young Tom Brady...I guess after Hackenberg managed to hit that barn door everyone's now wild with enthusiasm...

Listen he's a polite nice Penn Stater but all lottery tickets look like winners before the big jackpot drawing

Well the worst that could happen is I am dead wrong ....?

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Please quote the post that said hack may turn in to a young Tom Brady so we can all see the context it was put in

Walt White likes this.
  17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  18. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

themorey likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner