The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have no problem starting Hack right away - in fact, I welcome it. Let's see if he actually has any chance of being the FQB. But if he's that close, then why in the hell didn't he even start one game last year when the QB position was in shambles? My assumption is that's because the decision-makers didn't believe he's that close to being ready to start, so how could he get ready in one off-season? And unless they're planning on doing a "competitive tank", the Jets can't afford to have their best potential future QB hammered right out of the gate - if he's traumatized as he apparently was after his freshman year at PSU, then that leaves the Jets having to depend on a washed up, never-was, or a still-unproven, oft-injured Petty for the whole season.

So, what I'm saying is that while Hack would provide the most optimism and reason to watch the team, if he can step up and not be overwhelmed , I don't think they'll start him right away. But he needs to show in TC that he's close, and that he could start after 3-6 games are played, maybe coming in as relief in a few of them. If he can's show that level of capability, this team is in trouble, and Macc's job will be also.

#41 ColoradoContrails, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Let's see what ya got kid.

FJF likes this.
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In the eye of the public, the only thing Hackenberg can do worse than live up to non-existent expectations is to exceed them. Then the real hysteria will begin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

legler82, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I hope you are incorrect, because otherwise that would mean the Jets brass are morons. They might be though. :(

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I'm excited for the kid. They had a plan,stuck with it,he has shown improvement through the spring. Looking forward to the first preseason game.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Careful FJF, you're being reasonable :)

FJF likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. The situation most likely will very well be that Hack shows a lot of potential and improvement but he needs a lot more reps under his belt to build up his confidence. It would be stupid to start him right away. Let him watch from the sidelines in freaking uniform for a change and read defenses from there. We are not going anywhere anyhow so let him get his rhythm down pat and wait for the right time, because when he starts....we ain't going back.
    I might add that most are totally dismissing Petty but he might actually be the real surprise in pre season. Making the situation more interesting.
    In any event, I'm sure as hell happy that we don't start the season with a know back up with clearly no other plan what-so-ever like we did last year.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

Sometimes you need to take a step back to take 3 steps forward. Hack obviously had some mechanic issues, perhaps he addressed them which is why he showed improvement in OTAs this year.

Whatever happened last year, it's time to throw it away, burn it, bury it whatever you do with it. It's time to move on. It's time to see what the kid can do.

Pags2112 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Stop babying the kid and let him play. If his mechanic issues are fixed, there is no sense in him sitting on the bench delaying his progression. OTAs was right there with McCown. He's a smart QB, no more watching from the sidelines. Sometimes the best way is give the kid a year and let him sink or swim.

Petty sucks btw.

Pags2112 and FJF like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Still the same old shit then I see, nevermind I am sure one of you will come up with an original thought on it eventually.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Petty was sacrificed last year to save Hack from getting crushed behind a papermache oline. I'd be curious to see if Hack could survive the beating Petty took last year. The organization has made it known they've moved on from Petty so there's really no reason why Petty will get any meaningful snaps. Why Macc doesn't simply release the kid is a mystery and a real disservice to Petty as he is no longer part of the Qb picture no matter what bullshit the CS puts out for the press.

#FreePettyNow

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hack could survive the beating for sure. They didn't call him Sackenberg at PSU for nothing. He's big and tough and can take a hit. It's the whole completing passes thing that you worry about lol

NYJFOREVER and Cman68 like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yeah, I feel for Petty, he wasn't given a great helping hand last year and he showed he had a little something in the tank, probably a back up QB for life but it is still a living.

That tackle still gives me shudders thinking about it.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Taking a college hit is a far cry from a Suh/Wake sandwhich.. Not many come back from that kinda smashing.

15. Cman68

David Carr or Joey Harrington. Pick one..

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It will be one hell of an interesting training camp and pre season this year. Best in years. Announcement by Bowles as to who the starting QB is this year will be dragging on at nausea, capped by his usual insipid statement.....we chose ( fill in the blank) because he gives us the best chance to win.
    Can wait to watch the kids in action, no matter what.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Radcliff err Simms I mean Petty just isn't that good cman. He is a depth chart filler, if he wasn't mac wouldn't have drafted hack the year after he took petty. Any other fan base wouldn't give him a second look. But we worship the qb in the bench,except geno, so he gets over rated.

legler82 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

can't look back now but it would've been nice to see a Geno vs Hack competition, would've taken that over 6m given to McCown. Geno isn't wearing a brace and isn't on PUP for the Giants after suffering that injury. He's one tough SOB.

FJF likes this.
  19. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

Evan is a closet Giants fan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Why would the team be in trouble if Hack can't show that level of ability? The expectation is that it's going to be a rough season anyway, and they're just trying to find out if he and others are capable, and give them a chance to develop.

Similarly, why would Mac's job be in trouble because a 2nd round QB didn't work out, especially one who was considered a project, and when if Hack doesn't pan out they will be in prime position to get a topnotch QB prospect at the top of the 1st round in 2018? Plenty of his other picks have panned out, and everyone knows that the draft is a crap shoot, especially regarding QBs.

I'm sorry, but I can't follow your reasoning regarding Mac's job being in jeopardy. It doesn't make any sense to me. The only way I see that Mac's job is in jeopardy is if Adams and Maye prove to be busts and Lee doesn't develop.

#60 NCJetsfan, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Pags2112, TonyFtLaud and hwismer like this.