Jets cut Marcus Gilchrist

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 4, 2017.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Including Pryor

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Doesn't fit the current roster, going nowhere, play the kids

3. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

I wasnt being serious, of course.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, sorry. Went over my head! LOL

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Such an uncommon occurrence.

FJF likes this.
  6. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

He communicated calls for the secondary ...

The Jets’ defense is going to have to adjust to life without safety Marcus Gilchrist. Gilchrist suffered a season-ending knee injury last week against the 49ers, which means Rontez Miles will be starting Saturday against the Dolphins.

The loss of Gilchrist will be felt in how the Jets communicate on the back end. Gilchrist was responsible for getting the secondary lined up and communicating calls.

Daily News Article by Costello

Red Menace and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets upgraded big-time in the communication department. Gilchrist awful job at that role

NYJETS4life24 and Pags2112 like this.
  8. Pags2112

Agreed. They brought in a real Alpha.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

All things considered (youth movement, his salary, draft picks, questionable for 2017) this was only a matter of time.

10. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

I thought mac would wait until after june 1st to make the cut. I think i read somewhere that it would have cleared an extra million or so

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Mac designated the move a post June 1st cut. The cap hit won't accelerate his signing bonus into this year's cap.
    There's no savings, just lessened the hit this year.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us for ONCE grab some offensive line depth, with guys who have played before, from this list. Austin Pazstor obviously can't be very (with him still being available and all), but he started 12 games before and 43 in his career.

I understand we're going with a youth movement. But one thing we should not mess with is the protection of our youthful quarterbacks.

I'd like to see veteran depth so we're not putting in first timers to protect the quarterbacks that are obviously tentative as it is.

Petty got killed last year and Hackenberg got killed in college. The last thing we want after an injury or two is guards and tackles in there with 0 NFL starts.

Pags2112 likes this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hopefully the likes of Ijalana, Shell, Dozier, Qvale and the rest, show improvement...continued development if you will, in the meantime. Maybe they feel good about a couple them?

Pags2112 likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gilchrist: "Skrine, take the slot....Williams, take the left side, Pryor, let the RB or TE run right by you, Revis, lay down and take a nap....ready, on 3!!!!"

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No wonder our defense was so bad last year. We don't have sophisticated enough calls.

Footballgod214 and Pags2112 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would bring in Pasztor from Cleveland for the O-line. He's only 26 and has already started 43 games so you know he's not going to be out of place if he has to start. He's versatile, having played Right Tackle and Guard. Bring him in and have him compete with Ijanala and Shell for the RT spot, he could win the spot but even if he doesn't he's quality depth at the swing T/G spot.

I thought the Jets had a pretty good draft but they failed to draft OL... AGAIN.. that's a big mistake and now they have to bring in some guys on your list I think. We might have the worst OL in the league as is but depth wise its worse, if anyone gets hurt then we absolutely have the worst OL in the league

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think they feel very good about Shell and it seems like he played quite well in his first couple starts.
    I'm pretty sure Qvale played decently too. Personally, I feel decent about Ijalana, Qvale and Dozier as depth. And I like that they're younger players that still have hope to get better

thegoldengod and Pags2112 like this.
  18. Pags2112

Shell held his own, especially toward the end of the season with some experience under his belt. As much as we do want Vets and Premium Draft Picks filling out the OL depth chart, I feel Maccagnan and his scouting department think they can add and mold talent elsewhere. I don't recall ever having so many tryouts and feel this could be one of our most talented bunch of UDFA and walk-ons. They signed a pair of tryout offensive linemen: Benjamin Braden and Chris Bordelon. We also have Brandon Greene from Alabama trying out who also played TE, the more versatile they are, the better chances they have to make the squad. Also remember, we can't address every need at once .. we still have more offseason transactions to come including signing players off waivers, not to mention another draft next year with higher ranked OL AND all the cap space we will have. I think our current OL is at least mediocre not terrible, PFF ranked us 21, with the line playing better towards the latter part of the season, not bad considering all the injuries. It takes time to build chemistry.

19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Dude's got a torn patella tendon. Duh

20. Agreed. I actually feel pretty good about the OL depth. None are flashy guys w. upside outside of Shell & maybe Doozier(Big maybe) but there's decent competition...and in an injury scenario...I feel good about Ijalana,Qvale,Wesley Johnson,Doozier & perhaps Jonathan Harrison from Indy.

If the jets make a move up front it should be for an upgrade in the starting 5...How do folks feel about Mangold coming back on a 1 year deal? He's certainly not part of the future..but he's a positive locker room influence,can still hold the fort &immediately improves the starting front 5 while simultaneously improving depth?

Leicester Jet likes this.