Keys to a New York Jet victory this week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nohope, Nov 18, 2006.

1. nohope

nohope New Member

1) Look for the jets on 4th and short situations to go for it on most instances...we've gotta take any oppurtunities to score.

2) Special teams will be a key factor. The bears have an excellent special teams crew, (Mike Nugent is going to have to kick the ball past the 15 damn).

3) The jets protect Pennington, and find a way to stop the bears defense. Expect this game to be a classic smash mouth football game. Lots of run up the gut plays and blitzing.

4) We cannot play catch up this game....we must establish a running game and move the ball down the field...forcing the bears offense to score

5) Listen I'm not asking for a nyjet win. but i would like to see them leave it all on the field with a hard fought game....if we play how we played against the colts and pats....jets win in a nail biter 13-10

2. Vilmathegreat51

Vilmathegreat51 New Member

Another key to victory should be put lots and lots of pressure on Grossman.The Bears were shut down in the first half when the Giants did it but for some reason they stopped. :lol:

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

A defensive or special teams score may be needed.

4. nohope

nohope New Member

Exactly......

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

the keys:
    block, tackle, hold on to football, blitz

This is pretty simplistic, I know. You can say those first three keys about any football game. But that is almost always what decides games. (I'm not sure I even needed to include the "almost" in the previous sentence.)

The Jets will have to win the turnover battle on Sunday and they mustn't be sloppy when it comes to tackling.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well the weather will be sort of normal NYC Nov weather no rain hi about 50 or so it sounds like it will not be a factor in the game

7. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Pray that the less-than-consistent Rex Grossman has one of his off days, and drops a few gifts to the guys in green.

Also, do NOT allow the Bears' offense to get those big plays. They may struggle alot, and give the defense a false sense of security, then rip a 50+ yard TD play outta no where. Jets defense must be prepared at all times...any lapse in concentration in the secondary could be an instant 6-points for the Bears' big-play offense.

8. bearmick

bearmick New Member

I think the concensus from Bears fans right now is this ....

We want you to win the division, your fans are a lot classier than the Giants and Patriots, but before all of that we're going to pummel you into the dirt.

Have a nice day.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Your team almost lost to the rookie-led, Denny Green-coached freaking Cardinals. They are beatable. And I will have a nice day.

10. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

PRESSURE GROSSMAN!!! If you get to grossman his turns the ball over

11. bearmick

bearmick New Member

"Your team almost lost to the rookie-led, Denny Green-coached freaking Cardinals. They are beatable. And I will have a nice day."

I'm sure you will. You might hook up with some old friends and have a great time. You might have a really good meal and a dandy night out. You might get a blow job.

But your team is going to get killed.

Still a good day tho', hope the blow job's good.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It better be, or Rex Grossman will be the backup this week.

13. GreenMachine

Let's discuss how much you just brought to the table.....

You guys keep opening your mouth wider and wider...

14. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty much all I care about. Blitz, blitz, blitz and blitz some more, smash that guy into the ground. Once that happens, it will be turnover galore.

15. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I'm sort of wary about sending heavy blitzes after Grossman.

The Jets D has a tendency to give up huge chunks of yards on a single play, and the Bears O has a penchant for breaking out big plays. That's a bad combination if you ask me. While the gambit may result in a few turnovers, it's also almost a given that the Bears offense will connect for a few big plays as well.

The Bears defense is good enough to compensate for the offense's mistakes, and they'll be able to survive a few turnovers because of that. However, on the Jets' side, I don't believe they can afford to give up big plays to the Bears and expect that their offense can play catch up...especially against the Bears' D.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Prediction of this game: PAIN

17. bearmick

bearmick New Member

Anything for a win my friend

18. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

also for a win we would need at least 2 interceptions/fumbles at key points

19. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

This game will be won or lost by the play of the offensive line.
    Eliminating all pressure on Pennington and blocking perfectly for Barlow is not really a possibility with the edgy defense of Chicago.
    So, the outlet plays may end up more than just secondary consideration. And, the holes that should be there will have to be made by squatting the defense.
    Our defense is also going to have a rough time against the game of Chicago. Chicago has developed an offense that knows that if they can score once and awhile they will win. So, we need to apply a lot of pressure on Grossman while covering all the receivers adequately. Which is to say.. what we should be trying to do every game.
    Should be a good game.

20. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Maybe This Will Be A Key

In The NY Times:

New Emphasis on Homework Has Jets? Grades on the Rise

By KAREN CROUSE

Published: November 19, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Nov. 17 ? After almost everybody else went home Thursday night, the light was still on in the room at the Jets? practice facility where the defensive linemen meet.

The only player in there, Bryan Thomas, a defensive end/outside linebacker, sat hunched over his spiral notebook, scribbling furiously.

In two days, Thomas?s weekly oral report was due, and he was staying late to work on it. Four years after becoming a first-round draft pick of the Jets, Thomas, who made the honor roll at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, still revels in being a student. ?It?s a part of the game that I love,? he said.

The report that Thomas was finishing is a weekly assignment that Denny Marcin, the defensive line coach, hands out. He assigns each of the linemen a different opposing player about whom they are expected to learn everything they can.

Then, on the day before the game, they stand in front of their teammates when called upon to deliver a scouting report based on the notes that they have accumulated from watching film.

?The reports that they?ve been doing have gotten better each week,? said Eric Mangini, the Jets? first-year coach.

He added: ?It?s such an asset because you can?t study everybody as much as you?d like to. And the things and the nuances that they discover, to be able to share them with the rest of the players, is really helpful.?

The defensive line?s play led to 10 sacks in the first seven games and seven in the past two. Their improved preparation resulted in a high grade last Sunday.

Their four-sack performance against the New England Patriots represented a long-awaited breakthrough for a line that features three former first-round draft picks: Thomas (No. 22, 2002), Dewayne Robertson (No. 4, 2003) and Shaun Ellis (No. 12, 2000).

The Jets were so high on Robertson, a former Kentucky Wildcat, that they traded two first-round picks, Nos. 13 and 22, to Chicago to acquire the Bears? first pick so they could get Robertson before the Dallas Cowboys, at No. 5.

The Bears used the 22nd pick to draft quarterback Rex Grossman, who will be in Robertson?s cross hairs on Sunday when the Jets (5-4) play host to the Bears (8-1).

When the Bears played the Giants last Sunday, Grossman wilted under pressure in the first half, before injuries took their toll. He completed 9 of 19 passes before finding his rhythm in the Bears? 38-20 victory.

The Jets spent the week poring over tape, looking for tendencies to exploit. Does the quarterback blink three times before throwing a screen pass? Does the tight end ball his fists on plays when he is the primary target? It is those kinds of observations that make for the best oral reports.

?It?s like fifth grade,? lineman Rashad Moore said. ?You are assigned a person, and you have to stand up in front of the group and tell about the person.?

The oral report strips the linemen of all their pretensions, the humor and helmets and high-end jewelry that they like to hide behind offering very little cover in the game within the game, where power is expressed through knowledge.

The homework assignment brings out the gold-star-seeking nerd in even the most superbly athletic men. The players compete to see who can come up with the report that is singled out by the coaches each week as the most thorough or revealing.

?You want everyone to be saying, ?Dang, that?s a good report,? ? Moore said.

Players become nervous beforehand because they don?t want to be singled out for anything else.

?You know how it is,? Mangini said. ?Guys are going to kid you if you mispronounce a word or somebody?s name. It?s good-natured, but you?d rather not go through that if you can avoid it.?

The elocutionary exercise brings out the approval-seeking child in even the most aloof multimillionaire. Robertson, the 317-pound nose tackle, rarely makes eye contact when talking to strangers and sometimes has to be coaxed to speak in public.

The loudest thing about him is his diamond jewelry. He tends to withdraw from everybody, including teammates, like a turtle in his shell. But every Saturday he proves to his peers that he has done his homework. They might have to lean forward in their seats to hear him, but Robertson?s commitment to winning comes through loud and clear.

?He?s a very good dude,? defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen said. ?Very soft-spoken. Very respectful. Works very hard. Never takes a play off.?

Before this season, Robertson?s progress was slowed by injuries that prevented him from practicing if not playing. (He started his first 44 games as a pro.)

Thomas?s progress was slowed by playing in the shadow of defensive end John Abraham, who was traded during the off-season.

And Ellis?s progress might have been slowed by complacency, which sneaked up on him after he made the Pro Bowl in his fourth season.

When meeting individually with the players after taking the job, Mangini stressed that each had the power to write his own evaluation.

?They were the authors of that story,? Mangini said, ?and they still are.?

Finally, it seems, the defensive line is on the same page. It all starts with Robertson, the binding in the middle.

?In meetings,? Mangini said, ?I?ll say, ?Dewayne, what is knowledge?? And he?ll say, ?Knowledge is power.? So he?s my go-to guy for that.?