This Is How Little The Jets Used The TE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I find it really hard to believe that if Bowles told Macc he needed a TE who could catch an occasional pass that Macc would not have found one for him. It's more plausible to me that Bowles didn't have a freaking clue what Gailey's offense looked like and didn't realize that they wouldn't be using a TE.

And yes, there are a lot of other things to blame Bowles for, but this just seems so symptomatic of his approach, and yet so glaring of a deficiency. A "hands off" mentality seems to be his philosophy...too disconnected; too laid back. He's the wrong coach for this team, and probably ANY team.

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Would someone please forward this to Todd Bowles and see if he has a reaction. It may all be news to him.

Pags2112 and boozer32 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He'd probably say something like, "What's a TE?".

boozer32 likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This is the genius of Bowels , let other teams waste time preparing for something that we will never throw at them, genius pure genius !

Pags2112 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I bet Bowles asked Macc for a scouting report on O.J Howard and Macc laughed at him.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's the new Obama lol ... blame Bowles for not taking out your trash! Yeah it's all Bowles fault that he didn't sign a TE.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

why blame Mac...if the OC didn't use them in his scheme and he didn't, why would you waste your time. It was TB responsibility to get the OC to utilize the TE but he refused, TB didn't force it because he is Fking clueless regarding O and you can say that for the D also.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

Why would you bother getting Kellen Davis involved in the offense? He can't catch for shit. You do realize what TEs we had on the roster right? That is not Bowles responsibility.

xxedge72x and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're forgetting Gailey used TEs for the Steelers, Cowboys, Bills, etc. The reason he didn't here is because he didn't have any. And on personnel, the buck stops with the GM. Criticizing Bowles for the TEs is like criticizing Mac for not telling Bowles to coach better.

xxedge72x and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

You also have to remember Mac and Bowles probably held the TE as an afterthought when they were so successful in 2015 without one. The offence was extremely successful without a quality TE on the roster. Then 2016 blew up in their face of course and there were many times a TE could have positively impacted our offence. I fully expect Morton to be pushing Mac for a quality TE this draft.

11. 101GangGreen101

Hey, this is the Bowles thrashing thread #215, please keep any logical information outside of the thread.

FJF likes this.
  12. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Wasn't it even lower in 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TE had a combined 8 catches in 2015

13. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

It was but no one cares with Fitz putting up record numbers and our WR both going over 1000 yards receiving.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What t.e. was available before the season that could have made fitz play better or kept the o line healthier or kept decker healthy? How was fitz so successful the year before with less t.e. production?

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ladarius Green, monster TE was available, let him sign with the Steelers.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He would have kept the o line healthy? And decker? And made fitz play better? How did fitz have a career year without him?

17. BrowningNagle

Well he doesn't walk on water so I have no clue if him or any TE would've cured all ills but he certainly would've helped. and at only $4 million annually? shoot its worth finding out

18. BrowningNagle

The problem with the draft is that the TE position is one that usually takes players a little while. Usually by year 3 is when a TE emerges. Year 1 they are usually lost. While that isn't a bad thing because we need a long term option at the position, Morton and Maccagnan both likely don't even have jobs here in 3 years. SO I don't think they are going to hang their hats on an O.J. Howard in the 1st round

This is a position they should've signed a decent stop gap veteran at because they can be had for cheap and still have a quality impact. I mentioned Ladarius Green, Jared cook, another option Jermaine Gresham.... those types of players, you sign them for the short term and draft a mid round TE to develop. Those ships have sailed though - another missed opportunity. Braedon Bowman here we come. Our jets are behind the rest of the league when it comes to things like this

Pags2112 likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

maybe the fact we didn't have one worth throwing too made a difference? or the times they needed to block to help a shaky o-line?

20. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

It would be nice to have a "fat receiver" (Scottish amateur football term for a a TE) however I can not recall in 20 years the Jets having a big chip, route running pass catching TE. So I'll call that on the philosophy of HC's and OC's.

I'd rather see a team with average to above average players that can get shit done than blowing money on down the road players who are supposed to push us out of mediocrity at best