Bowles Just Doesn't Get It

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Results are what matter.

This squad is a mess.

If the head coach can't fix it then he gots to go. That's what his job is.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! Spot on!

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Yes, there are different ways to get results. The key is the HC knowing which way will work better with the players he has. The HC has to be a psychologist and motivator. A heavily veteran team that is disciplined and has great leaders can function well without a strict disciplinarian or tough approach by the HC. A young team OTOH with few leaders needs a strong hand that demands discipline, attention to details, and hard work. The Jets are the latter and imo TB is not the right HC to take this team to the next level. He wants to be one way, the way he is, rather than being what he needs to be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

We'll have to agree to disagree. Work in the business world is not analogous to a football team. In business, even though it may be called a "team" many, if not most, of the workers work independently and report to the boss. Unless one team member is working with another on a project or waiting for some work from another team member, it doesn't affect them at all if another "team" member is late to work or doesn't show up at all.

A football team has to think, work and act as one. If one is late continually it shows lack of respect for his peers and his superiors. Whereas being late to a workout session may not seem like much, it's not being responsible and respectful. Do things happen? Yes. They can happen to anyone, once. I repeat however, that these guys are professionals. In comparison to normal working stiffs, these guys are making a bloody fortune. They aren't dependent on mass transit to get to work. They can afford two clock radios, a wake up service, a butler, a chauffeur or whatever it takes to make sure they make it to team workouts and practice on time.

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Bowles at all and your're right here....Certainly a coach needs to understand the pulse of his team and when to push certain buttons, but it also breaks down on an individual player level. What motivates or works for Mo may not work for Sheldon and the better coaches understand this

All I was saying is it's really not a big deal but I do agree players should be on time in general.

Save the energy and discipline for the things that matter more, but that's just me

I still don't think Bowles should be saying these things in public but I actually agree with him in general. He basically said shit happens and if it becomes an issue for a certain player we'll deal with it, but I'm not going to freak out over one time. I can't argue that

It's just a bad look when players clearly dogged it last year and then you say being late isn't a huge deal. It's definitley concerning that he's not smart/sharp enough to realize that the NY media/fans would eat this one up

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Keep saying it, you're still wrong. :D

FJF likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Where do you draw the line?
    Mo has been showing up late to practice, meetings going back before he was signed to his long term deal.
    So 2 1/2 seasons at least. Then Sheldon followed his lead last season. It wasn't until Mo didn't show up at all for a walk thru that Bowle's benched them to start a game. Mo had a good excuse though. He got to fucked up the night before partying to bother showing up for work.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I agree that what works varies from one player to another. I also agree that Bowles shouldn't be saying these things in public. I also agree with Bowles not being smart enough to know what not to say.

I don't think anyone has said that Bowles should freak out over a player being tardy once.

#108 NCJetsfan, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We will never win anything with this loser as our coach.

CBG likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're totally right.

Bowles could have easily sent a message to the team. The optix are terrible.

Being a players coach and a firm coach are not exclusive.

Just the comments about Revis and Mangold piss me off.

I'm off his bandwagon till he starts winning games or hearts & minds.

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

how can he be learning from his mistakes if they keep increasing every year?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the most promising thing about Todd Bowles is that the fans and beat writers who think they have him defined are not only his mental inferiors, they are a collection of embarrassments when it comes to intellectual advancement.

Bowles really doesn't inspire any support or hope. He kind of just stands there while his team gets their ass kicked.

He definitely looks like suck.

But having read this forum in the recent number of months, the people who think they have him pegged... as a human being, it's sort of embarrassing how stupid some of these people are.

That's not an anomaly, though. I've seen these stupid people run rampant through this forum for like 15 years. They are just telling people what the truth is all the time while also not knowing the English language, simple grammar or any forum rules.

I guess the only difference is that they are allowed to be stupid all day long on TGG now without anyone to check them.

I feel like turning my hat backwards Romo style and playing a Dylan song. Times they are a chingling.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  13. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

One of the problems with our coach and GM is that Bowles and Maccagnan both report to Woody, and are essentially equals. I just don't see a guy who is as meticulous as Mac to allow players to show up late for meetings. This ultimately falls on Woody. If my head coach doesn't read the riot act to his HC for not coming down on tardy players, he wouldn't be my HC for very long. Oh yeah, and I am done defending Bowles. I need to see vast improvements to get back on the Super Bowles Bandwagon.

14. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Guys remember the days where this sounded refreshing. Especially after the "players coach" Rex Ryan was constantly letting players roam free. Incredible how our opinions have changed after a year.

"Jets players are eager to say how no-nonsense new head coach Todd Bowles seems to be.

"He's a very stern guy, a very stern coach,"quarterback Geno Smith said, per the team's website.

"Strong-minded, and to the team he speaks his mind," defensive end Sheldon Richardsontold the team's website

"We got to see him up in front of the team [Monday] morning," center Nick Mangold told reporters Monday. "He's got a great passion."

But tight end Jace Amaro, now entering his second season, was the first to draw a distinction between Bowles and Rex Ryan, who was fired after 2014 and is now the head man with the Bills.

In an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio , Amaro didn't mention Ryan by name. But he didn't have to, "He's not really playing around with everyone being late," Amaro said of Bowles. "We had an issue with that last year. Guys just weren't accountable last year as much as they could be. I think that's the biggest thing. [Bowles is] making sure everyone's gonna be 100 percent in or he's not going to be on the team."

Smith had missed a meeting because of some time-zone confusion on the night before the Jets got drilled by the Chargers last October. But by saying tardiness was "an issue," Amaro implied the problem wasn't just about that isolated incident involving Smith. Amaro also implied that compared to Ryan, Bowles won't be messing around."

#114 Pags2112, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  15. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It's not that big of a deal. Bowles can have his players back to the media as long as he's disciplining them in private

FJF likes this.
  16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Don't think it's the case any more. If both still had equal say, there is no way TB would let go of vets.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's easy to be a critic. It's even easier to be a meta-critic.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, he could have said something like that, but he's Todd Bowles. Admitting to weakness or teams issues is not his thing. I honestly think Bowles was just trying to say the PC type answer, but it came out awkward because the question was framed, "are you concerned". That's how he answers every question like that. Nope, I'm not worried, we just try to get better and move on to next week. How many times did we hear that one?

I don't really care how Bowles words things in a press conference. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch one of those, anyways. I care about what he actually does. I really don't believe that he sets the standard for his team based on one vague statement to the press, rather than what he preaches on the football field, in the locker room, and in personnel meetings. To me, that is what matters, the rest is drama and filler.

#118 Sam Hammer, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Good point. What he says to the team and how he handles them are much more important than what he says to the media. If what Pags posted above is accurate, perhaps many of us misjudged Bowles and have been too harsh.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, but honestly when a season goes that bad, it doesn't matter what somebody says in a press conference. It will be scrutinized to high hell. Winning cures all. I just hope we can see this again at some point under Bowles, but he's has much improving to do.