Bowles Just Doesn't Get It

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 28, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Perfectly stated...

King Koopa likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I do subscribe to the idea that rules and structure are important for an organization, and there needs to be at least an appearance that they apply to everyone, otherwise the "grunts" that you depend on to do all the little unnoticed, but important details, just don't try as hard. It's human nature. Now, if your stars don't follow the rules, BUT they give 110% effort and "win" for everyone, their "sins" are tolerated, if not forgiven. But, if they fail to "win", those sins are quickly remembered and the "grunts" soon do the same. This is what I saw happen to the Jets this year. And funny how it never seems to happen to the great teams like the Packers, Pats, and other championship teams.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Well then, at least somebody is willing to enforce some rules somewhere.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS a former military man there is no substitute for discipline which manifests in performance. Anyone who thinks that is not true should allow their children to do whatever they want with no repercussions and see how the children act.

Watching this team regress, meaning the coaching staff go through the motions as well as the players, convinced me that TB needed a come to Jesus meeting. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and my concern is that nothing has changed with his mentality and as a result we will again see the undisciplined team we saw last year.

Cleaning out the lock room of the malcontents, the underperforming players helps as does making coaching changes... IMHO the problem is that the leader is the problem not part of the solution.

#84 SOJAZ, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers is your answer....

Plenty of time and structure nazi NFL coaches out there have lost and plenty of lax players coaches that have won

There are different ways to get results...Talent, heart, brains, and effort is the only constant. Structure and time is secondary and doesn't make or break anyone

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That was my comment about Fatcessa acting like he enlightened his audience by making the statement you quoted.

This forum has been stating that opinion for about a year now and all of a sudden Fatcessa acts like he's springing some Egyptian secret on us.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't think the Parcells type coaches would work in today's NFL, obviously Belichick being the exception. With that said, even if Bowles is somewhat lax with being late he's a clueless idiot for saying that in public to the media.

JetsVilma28 and King Koopa like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fitz would like to say hello at this point but he is still choking unfortunately :mad:

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How do you show max effort and not show up on time for anything work related?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Just three weeks until the schedule comes out so we can start the Bowles Departure Date Pool!

CBG likes this.
  11. King Koopa

Stay late?

Work more efficiently

There's certain things and functions that you can't be late for...We all know that...but there's others where it's not a huge deal

No point in freaking out if a guy is a few minutes late here or there for things where being late didn't matter much (Workout sessions, team breakfast, whatever)

12. Ralebird

Right - 95% should be good enough for punctuality...and making a block...or catching a pass...or not being penalized...or staying in bounds...watching the clock. Why aim for perfection? 95% should be good enough, right? What about just 90%? 85%?

13. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Yeah I'm not really understanding the big deal about this. Let's just say Leo goes into practice every day gives 110 percent effort and really just busts his ass. One morning his alarm clock is unplugged or the phone is on vibrate. He shows up half hour late. You really gunna penalize him for a simple mistake that never normally happens?

As long as it dosent become like a normal thing like showing up late 1 or 2 times a week then it really shouldn't be to much of a problem

MoWilkBeast, FJF and King Koopa like this.
  14. King Koopa

You'll know when it's an issue...everything isn't black or white...0 or 100.

I don't believe guys should be late in general but I don't care if they slip up here or there where it's not a huge deal

Everyone isn't perfect...and your analogies about on the field issues don't equal being 2 minutes late for a gym session

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, the problem with not shooting for perfection (100%), is then where do you draw the line below that? And wherever you draw it, you won't usually achieve it, so you're even farther from perfection.

Bowles just gave himself and his players an "out". Only losers do that.

NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.
  16. King Koopa

You can shoot for perfection and still understand certain things matter more than others...it's called perspective

Anyway, like I said before there are different approaches that work. The drill sergeant- 5 min early for everything can certainly work but so can a players coach perspective

We can agree to disagree

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No, but instead of saying what he said, he could have said yes I take tardiness very seriously and want to instill an ideology within the organization that prides itself on players being on time, professionalism, etc.

When you have a season like 2016, words unfortunately matter. Optics matter when your season was marred with locker room problems, blowouts, horrible time out/challenge decisions, and an inability to make tough roster decisions.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The great teams don't give their"great"players the latitude that shit teams do. Accountability is the common denominator on the great teams.
    Shit rolls downhill the when you star players set that shit example, the "grunts" follow.

19. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

People shit on Belichick, but he is a leader who gets the absolute best from players who want to play above their perceived talent level. I see him as a grandfather who has high expectations, but also someone who praises effort and execution. You play hard for him because he gives you the best opportunity to win games and he lets you know when you do something right. Have you heard a player have a bad word to say about Belichick after they leave NE?

20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Not coming on time to your job, is a red flag. Your boss not caring is a red flag.

Playing like dog shit and mailing it in last year does not bode well for those that think being lazy and late is ok.

These kids are ALL highly talented.

What separates them is the effort, desire, discipline and execution.

That all starts with attitude and persistence.

Bowles is worse than Kotite. I said it before and I'll say it again.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.