Bowles Just Doesn't Get It

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 28, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I honestly haven't minded the losing much since the draft moved to Thursday night. work comes early in the morning so the earlier they pick the better

Red Menace likes this.
  2. FJF

Belicheck does ben stein impressions during his pressers and says nothing. who cares how he handles the fans and media?

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if Bowles wins 5 Superbowls he can say whatever the fuck he wants too. But when he hasn't won anything and he's coming off a losing year with player discipline problems, suggesting tardiness isn't a big deal is poor leadership

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I remember. It began in August where a man by the name of IK knocked the shit out of our starting QB with a right hook, or was it a left? I know somewhere in the middle of the season we lost 4 games in 5 weeks to all AFC opponents. We had our highlight beating Dallas, NY Giants and Pats.... Just to have it all crash back down to earth losing our 2nd time to the Rex Ryan coached Buffalo Bills; thus, fully preventing a Jets post season appearance. 10 wins is something to hang the old hat on though.

5. FJF

So win or pound of flesh mentality
    Ok

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I expected a better post from you than to call fans "bi-polar" because we want a disciplined HC and football team. It ticked me off. It's not cool to make jokes or light of people who have mental illness and equate that with someone who disagrees with you over something like football.

To be totally honest, I'm still in a state of shock that you would post something like that. I've never seen something like that from you before. You've always stayed pretty classy and I don't recall ever being even remotely upset at anything you've posted before, but imo this post of yours was way over the line.

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

We are in good luck then, bc I expect the Jets to be picking in the top 10 a lot over the next 10 years. I could not be happier to eat crow on that though.

8. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Save Big Cat, everyone else quit..... He got their semi talented asses to 10 wins which was overachieving when they didn't quit..... A lot of these players where here throughout the Rex Ryan years..... How many coaches do these players have to get fired before at least some of the blame goes on them?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with this. If the Jets don't believe any of the QBs this year can be starters in their first season, and ultimately be the FQB, why waste a pick? Backups are plentiful. It's not like they need to draft one to "groom" him in "The Jets Way". I want them to take a QB because I'm convinced they don't have even an above average one, let alone a FQB, but if they don't think a QB in this draft can be that guy, they should use their picks on guys who can make an immediate contribution. I do think that Mahomes, Watson, Webb, and Peterman could fit the bill for them, but if Macc & Co. don't believe they can make an impact this year, I hope they pass on QB.

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  10. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

That's simply astounding. It explains why, as Francesa states, they had veteran players just going through the motions last year, and getting away with it. And the team got motored again and again, with no apparent change in attitude or effort.

I wonder if occurred to him that tickets to watch his team are bought by people who have to - and do - get to work on time every day, or they wouldn't be able to afford the tickets because they don't have a job.

If I'm entering the draft, I'm calling my agent and telling him to tell the Jets don't bother, because their team is going nowhere and I don't want to be on it. On the other hand, if I'm no. 3 or 4 on someone else's depth chart, I'd tell my agent to phone the Jets as soon as I get cut because it can't be too hard to make that team.

Simply unbelievable.

#70 LarryAlRalph, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

There, FIFY. :)

12. ColoradoContrails

If he was smart, he might've said something like: "Well in hindsight there's obviously things I might've done differently, and I'm going to look at that. If you're not learning from history, you're gonna repeat it, and that's not going to happen".

That doesn't condone lateness, like his statement more or less did, and it doesn't tie his hands as to how he'll handle it if it happens again. Dealing with the media is part of the job, like it or not.

And yes, fans, taken individually, can be idiots, but when the fan base has a consensus opinion, it usually indicates that something isn't right. It doesn't mean they have the answer - "Fire the coach", "Start Hack!", etc. - but it usually means they're onto something and it should be taken into consideration. How many people were calling for Idzik's head long before he was fired? And he wasn't fired because the fans called for it, he was fired because he wasn't a good GM, and the fans saw this. The same thing can be said about Rex, and Geno, and The Sanchize. If the fans judgment is wrong, and a coach. GM, player is good, then they'll survive the complaining, but if they don't it proves the fans were right. And remember, if the fans were ignored, eventually there wouldn't be any fans, and without fans, there would be no organized sports.

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of as to why this buffoon is still the HC of the NYJs is the tank actually is on and the FO didn't want to subject the new HC to a 1-15 first season. At least I hope that is the case or this franchise is in a world of trouble.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

or option 3 - dont suggest players being late for a meeting isn't a concern

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I personally don't give a shit about players being late here and there...just show me max effort and ultimately results (wins)

The problem is Bowles actually thought this was an OK thing to say given the situation and context of the franchise

Hes a nice guy but you just gotta be smarter than that...no way around it

grkmanga31 and BacktoQueens like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

No, the problem is that he had a lot of players mailing it in, and in fact NOT giving max effort. There's hundreds of examples where star players had their own set of rules, but the ones that remained stars always gave maximum effort. You can't sya that about the Bowles coached Jets.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

it isn't a concern, unless it's habitual or part of a pattern among certain players suggesting they aren't invested.....

this is unnecessary outrage imo, and I'm not a Bowles supporter at this point.
    maybe as others have mentioned, his main sin here was saying anything considering the rabid media and fan base looking for their pound.

FJF likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This is the Jet fans mentality WEEK to WEEK....which is unfortunate.

FJF likes this.
  20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Which is what I said....A few minutes here or there means nothing to me AS LONG AS we are seeing max effort which is all that matters

I work with all different types of people...Some lazy morons can get to work on time and suck at their jobs...Others stretch out time and breaks but are efficient workers and ultimately get the job done well

I don't subscribe to the Tom Coughlin time nazi rules....Give me results

Boomboom, FJF and BacktoQueens like this.