Grading & Opinions of Todd Bowles!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 26, 2017.

?

What Grade Do You Give TB Thus Far?

1. A.

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. A-.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. B+.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B.

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. B-.

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. C+.

10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. C.

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. C-.

17 vote(s)
    19.5%
  9. D.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  10. F.

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

The Todd Bowles Thread by popular demand. There has been many a post that included Todd Bowles, despite the thread not being about said coach. The statement, "Gives Us The Best Chance To Win.", just may very well be our equivalent to, "Make America Great Again." Here are some topics to get your brain juices flowing:

Has Todd Bowles progressed as a coach?
    In your opinion is TB that predictable and will start veterans over youth?
    What does TB value more, the team or his job?
    Do you think Woody sat with Maccagnan and Bowles, and during that conversation guaranteed them their jobs during and slightly past this rebuild?

Wether you love him or hate him, TB is the coach of the New York Jets, and his decisions will impact this rebuild greatly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Voted c-, d+ might've been my choice, with the idea of getting a better evaluation this year. C- because he went 10-6 in '15.

Some great HC's made mistakes, and had to learn from them, in the beginning of their careers. He'll have his chance now.

I'm looking for the D to show cohesiveness, aggression, and fire. They've looked like their thinking too much and are on their heels waaay too much.

I also think he gave them his trust and they broke it. There was several guys over weight and out of shape.

also think he lost touch with the locker room and that there was poor moral. His assistants may have failed him there also.

Pags2112 likes this.
  3. Pags2112

I agree with many of your points Walt. You touched on the locker room, that is an area that many people fail to see it's huge importance. Todd Bowles losing the locker room cannot happen again. He needs everyone to buy into what he's selling and get the best effort out of every player. In a season where the FO may or may not want to "Tank", it's going to be like walking the tightrope. If Bowles can get everyone to see the bigger picture and get consistent play while avoiding any players to voice their frustrations to the media, it will be a great success. I believe clearing out the roster of any bad apples will greatly help turn the locker room atmosphere around, and into something more positive. McCown will definitely impact the locker room and in a positive way. Wether or not he is our starting quarterback, it's been documented that he can be the glue that holds a team together. That is something invaluable to our young quarterbacks and where Maccagnans move will make more sense to people. Fitzpatrick may have been a positive vet, but he was no mentor. Richardson should also be gone by the start of camp, and separating him from our other young players should pay dividends. With many of the vets gone, people need to fill the leadership void, and hopefully a few of the younger players will step up. Hackenberg being one, he needs to see that this is his chance to grasp such a role, and he posesses the traits to do so. A strong positive locker room could help a young quarterback, allowing him to take that locker room vibe, and translate that chemistry onto the football field. Who Bowles is as a coach will come to light. Will he play the young quarterback(s) and allow one or both to play a bigger leadership role? Time will tell.

I have him down for a C. There were a few things out of Bowles control. As for things in his control, like replay challenges, No bueno. Losing the locker room, No bueno. Playing the vet QB, no bueno.

#3 Pags2112, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

2 years, no playoffs.

D.

Changes to F if he doesn't get there this year.

Pags2112 likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As is always the case - give a coach a top tier QB and they will look great - give any coach what the Jets have had at QB since forever and anyone would struggle to look anything other than poor.

Name me a coach that has had consistent success with sub-par QB play?

Name me a coach with a top tier QB that has not had consistent success?

The two things go hand in hand and as such it is not really fair to blame the coaches the jets have had when they have constantly been fighting with one arm tied behind their back.

That said TB has not shown anything (IMO) to suggest he would be a great coach regardless of who the QB might be.

TwoHeadedMonster, westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

simple c, over achieved year 1, under achieved year 2.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

The only reason I gave him a D instead of a F is the possibility the he went into a state of shock when his players dogged in and he continued to let them play instead of taking the issue on.
    He deserved a F for continuing to aplay Revis when it was clear he didn't feel like playing.
    Playing Marshall when he was dogging it when Petty was starting.
    Fourth down call against Pittsburgh, playing Fitz when playoffs were out of sight.
    Not calling players out for stupid penalties, post game press conferences with stupid answers and again same stupid answers the day after games.
    A D instead of a F, consideration for being in a shell shocked trance.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The whole team looked [unprepared].

Case in point: Jets D was #5 in scoring, FROM BEHIND. [They gave up fifth most points.]

As bad as Rex Ryan was, his defense was never in the bottom 10 in his entire tenure here.

And this is a DEFENSIVE coach. If that's not F-worthy, I don't know what is.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The team quit on him last year. Pretty early into the season too. Averaging that with a (10-6) season I gave him a C-.

He has a lot to prove in 2017. The lack of a quality roster may even help him as expectations are so low. We will see.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You needed an Inc up there to get a vote out of me on this one.

I think Bowles showed some promise in 2015 with a veteran team with a few good young players in the mix. He got prime seasons out of players like Mo Wilkerson, Leo Williams, Calvin Pryor, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Then it all fell apart last year when a bunch of the vets declined and got injured and only Quincy Enunwa, Brian Winters and Williams (again) showed real growth for the Jets in the youth brigade.

I've got to see him get more out of the young players and have less issues from the veterans off the field before I'm going to be willing to give him a positive grade. He needs to run a tighter ship and unfortunately for him he needs to do it in what is likely to be a big down year for the team.

Order and the #1 pick might keep him employed by the Jets in 2018 but chaos and the #1 will not.

11. Pags2112

Who gave him an A?

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I gave him a D. IMHO when a coach loses the LR, the team looks uninspired and unprepared week-in-week-out, and the entire coaching staff and players seem to regress its on the HC. He should have fired KR last year but he didn't because he was just a stooge and TB's was calling the D.

If this team looks like last years' meaning unprepared and uninspired, he should be fired ASAP.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LMAO

Bout time for long overdue Post

First, the positives ...found a way to beat NE in a game 2015; He handles press fairly well

NEGATIVES:

No ability to Coach.....Period.....I cant count the stupid calls the mismanagement the lack of preparation the piss poor ability to adjust at halftime. Ruined every Fall weekend in 2016 ....SMH x8 2015 was a year we won on an easy sched despite TB

He and Kotite are neck and neck as the WORST in Jets history

Sorry...replaces Herm Edwards as worst African American Jets HC Except Herm managed to hustle some pretty good NFL commentator jobs(I don't mind Herm and his opinions ....guy is better running his mouth than Coaching)

Summary Bowles is clueless and will help assure 2017 Tank....grade F for fraud Q for Quack

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Time Management - F
    Adaptability - F
    Personnel Management - F

I gave him a D but I'm not sure why.

NYJetsO12 and Pags2112 like this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I gave him a D and I thought that generous. Why on Earth do the Jets still keep hiring coaches that "NEED to improve or get better " at areas that should be a given when it comes to coaches ? Why does this guy have to learn on the job ? simply amazing that we once again have a coach that is NOT good at many things but needs to improve on a lot . Locker room chaos,,,, clock management , no answers no adjustments,,,blah blah,,,he's gone hopefully after this year .

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I gave him a C-, but he turned in an extra credit paper so I bumped him up to C+.

jonnyd and Pags2112 like this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I can't believe that anyone gave Bowles anything but an For.
    Yes the team won 10 games in 15. With a competent coach they would have made the playoffs. His decision making was terrible in 15 and we probably should have lost a few more games as a result.
    He has no control over the locker room ad the players have no respect for him. Mo was showing up late and missing meetings in 15 and 16.
    Then there was the whole Mangold, Marshall and Decker public campaign for Fitz. Instead of getting control, he stood before the media declaring Fitz is our starting QB. Mean while, Fitz is not even under contract or negotiating a deal at the time. That's where Shitzpatric got his leverage.
    He completely lost the locker room in 16. Did nothing to try to remedy the situation.
    He is the Head coach yet in 2 seasons never attended any of the offensive meetings. Offensive players have been quoted as saying that the only time they interact with Bowles is if they passed him in the hall.
    He is Rex Ryan without the personality or love from the players.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Let's see....
    No in-game adjustments
    No in-season adjustments
    No future planning
    No HC skills improvements
    No control of the locker room

Sounds like a FAIL to me

matt robinson 17 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

This. Except I gave him a 'D' - several games were just disgraceful. I would have fired him after the MNF debacle against INDY.

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I couldn't find an A+ choice so I had to go with A, It's not often you get a coach that can instill such venom in some fans in such a short period of time. Most coaches take 3-4 years to reach a point it took Bowles to get to in less than 2 seasons. I applaud his effort.

94Abraham, TonyFtLaud and Zach like this.