Teams Interested In Richardson?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

It's obvious that we have been shopping Richardson around, though it seems that receiving at least a 3rd rounder in return is going to be easier said than done. As we rebuild, picks, picks and more picks are a necessity, but do we just hand Richardson over for practically nothing? We know what he's capable of.

Richardson is one of the league’s better interior linemen, though is coming off a below-average campaign last season, recording just 1.5 sacks, and has been suspended by the league to start each of the last two years.

"Two teams are interested in designing a trade for Richardson, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, who notes that neither team are willing to give the Jets very much in exchange.

Unnamed executives in charge of these teams say they are not willing to give away anything more than a fourth-round selection in exchange for Richardson, adding that they would think of throwing in a conditional pick next year that could be higher, based on his play this season and whether his prospective new team is able to get his name on a long-term deal.

The Jets can recoup more than $8 million by moving Richardson off the roster.."

#1 Pags2112, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I think a more likely scenario is trading Richardson to move up in the draft.

ajax, zace and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope not!!! Unless Cleveland has lost its mind and is willing to take Richardson and the Jets pick at #6 and give the Jets the #1 pick so the Jets can take Garrett, the Jets have absolutely no business trading up in this draft.

Murrell2878, Dom, JetLifeLo and 8 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A fourth this year and a conditional 4th next year that could rise as high as a 2nd, plus the Jets getting rid of that headache and his $8 million cap hit, would be huge! If they don't trade him, the best they'll get is a compensatory pick at the bottom of the 3rd round next year, and if they sign any high profile FA next year, they won't even get that. Since the Jets are rebuilding and going with youth, there is absolutely no reason to keep Richardson around. Take the deal and run.

BamaDoc, tomdeb, TonyFtLaud and 5 others like this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

So 4th rounder vs contract year player.

6. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

After I re-read the article, having that second conditional pick would work out great as long as it doesn't include some type of escape clause on their part. Agreed, take the deal and run.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We botched he management of Wilkerson and Richardson terribly. One should've been traded by now, but instead of trading them at a high value we let their value deteriorate.

To add insult to injury, after it was pretty much established that we weren't making the playoffs we didn't put Richardson into a natural position at a 3t or 5t we kept blitzing him from inside linebacker or covering the flats at outside linebacker.

Terrible when you need that guy to have boosted sack numbers if you want anything better than a 4th-5th round pick.

We're not competing. He's not the final piece to our puzzle and he won't be resigned. Take what you can get. Pray for a 4th round pick at this point and be done with it. I'm going to be pretty pissed if he's still on the roster at the conclusion of the draft even if we get a 5th rounder.

FlaJet, ajax, same old jets and 7 others like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Jason Cole? Move along, nothing to see here.

Big Cat likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

JV, I agree, sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on. This draft will speak volumes of whether this FO should be retained or released at the end of next year.

I don't like TB and I can't wait till he is fired but I have given Mac the benefit of the doubt because I believe TB makes him look bad by how he manages the players on the field.

That being said, he absolutely needs to kill this draft and get some good football players into the fray asap, if he ends up with another DL and another QB reach, I'm going to have some serious doubts about Mac and his ability to scout and build a team.

I was looking forward to the draft, but I'm becoming more and more apprehensive as the draft gets closer.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If they don't get offered a 3rd rounder or better they should just keep him for the year. They have a high number of free agents next season which should mean comp picks. Richardson would easily get them a 3rd I would think. 10 players scheduled to be FAs, so even if they resign/extend 3 or 4 that would still be 6 or 7 FAs. They make sure not to sign any more than 5-6 and they should get pick #97 or so in 2018.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+10000

There has got to be a major communication problem between T Bowles and MM

I think TB is just a terrible Coach as you pointed out here

I give Mac some slack because as I recall he TRIED to trade both of them ,,,with Wilk his contract was too prohibitive and with SR I dunno

Cut your losses get what you can

As I posted before Mac is a ROOKIE GM learning at the expense of NYJs

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would take the 4th rounder for Richardson.
    1. A compensation pick for Richardson won't be realized until the 2019 draft.
    2. Richardson not only is a poor fit for this defense in that he's playing out of position, but the Jets are not competitively in a place to utilize his talent.
    3. His presence on the roster can't exactly be described as "supportive". Moving him off the squad will help to adjust the culture of the team moving forward.
    4. Fourth round picks can still net you high quality starters. Look no further than Dak Prescott last season. Our own Bilal Powell was a 4th rounder as well.
    5. Depending on how high the 4th round pick is, it's not that much further down than a compensatory 3rd anyway.

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

No one likes tuberculosis, it's an awful disease.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The jets have botched up everything when it comes to dline -

They should have paid Snacks, the best run stuffer in the league + look at how he helped transform that Giants D this year. Then traded Wilkerson (Leonard Williams is the same player, only younger and more upside), and keep Richardson, who is more athletic and versatile...

Oh well.

tbruner12 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

This thread is all about how it's shocking there are teams interested in Richardson yet some Jet fans are in here saying we botched the DL situation by not putting money and faith in Richardson. You can't make it up.

Greenday4537 and RuJFan like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with JV that playing him out of position significantly weakened our bargaining posture. That is on TB, who is really not doing Mac any favors across the board. He is absolutely not changing the schemes to help players excel by leveraging their natural position skills. Pryor is another, to some extent Lee. Not giving a rookie QB more TE support....you name it.
    Having said that, I think its time to cut our loses with Richardson. His character does not fit our long term plans. He has a lot of talent. If he was really a team first type of player not only would he be on the roster but probably ahead of Mo.
    I think a leverage move could be packaging a trade and try to move up on the 2nd round.

17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I think it will be a big big mistake to rid of Richardson, not only for a measly 4th round pick but what is capabilities are on that DL and a very good possibility that he'll make a strong rebound from a poor year. They don't make labels like "Comeback Player of the Year Award" for nothing. I think TB will work things out with SR and put in a position to help both their causes. Playing the percentages SR will have a much better year, i think.

tbruner12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don't want to offend anyone but Richardson is the type of player that could strive in a team like the Raiders. High upside, high risk. High swagger.

19. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

20. BroadwayAaron

This is kinda what I was saying though. You wish we jettisoned Mo in favor of Sheldon. What happens when you sink all that money into a guy and then he gets suspended? At this point I'd say it's more likely than not unfortunately.